Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

Thread: Atheist Census

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    You declared the world was one step away from uniting. That sounds religious, but I was interested in the question that keeps us from uniting?
    It is not the question that keeps us from uniting, it is the act of free thought for the truthful answer that will unite us. Religion stifles free thought. Faith is a brick wall in the mind, usually built and reinforced in childhood, an unimpenetrable barrier that keeps a person from telling the truth. So when someone is telling us that they feel sorry that we don't have faith then they are saying that they feel sorry that we don't have this mental blockage. It is a delusion.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by M Swanson View Post
    If I'm "delusional," for believing in God, when I can't prove it to a non-believers satisfaction, then that must also mean you are equally "delusional," for not believing in God, when you can't prove He doesn't exist either. Doesn't it?
    No, evidence is sought to support the existence of stuff. No evidence, no assertion that stuff exists. To presuppose the existence of stuff without evidence is a delusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    It is not the question that keeps us from uniting, it is the act of free thought for the truthful answer that will unite us. Religion stifles free thought. Faith is a brick wall in the mind, usually built and reinforced in childhood, an unimpenetrable barrier that keeps a person from telling the truth. So when someone is telling us that they feel sorry that we don't have faith then they are saying that they feel sorry that we don't have this mental blockage. It is a delusion.
    You couldn't be more wrong, Rheg. I was taught beliefs, but it took a long time and many tests to arrive at my faith. If there's a "mental blockage," then it's one you have in presuming you know more about their beliefs/faith than they do. Or, in this case, me!

You couldn't be more wrong, Rheg. I was taught beliefs, but it took a long time and many tests to arrive at my faith. If there's a "mental blockage," then it's one you have in presuming you know more about their beliefs/faith than they do. Or, in this case, me!
    So what was the result to the test to find evidence for your beliefs?

No, evidence is sought to support the existence of stuff. No evidence, no assertion that stuff exists. To presuppose the existence of stuff without evidence is a delusion.
    I have all the evidence I need, Rheg. Besides, to presuppose that God doesn't exist, without having evidence, is also delusional by your calculations. Who, or what, created the universe and us, then?

So what was the result to the test to find evidence for your beliefs?
    I'm not young Rheg and I've had many tests. All contributed to my receiving faith. I am blessed.

I have all the evidence I need, Rheg.
    Besides, to presuppose that God doesn't exist, without having evidence, is also delusional by your calculations. Who, or what, created the universe and us, then?[/QUOTE]

Come on tell us about the evidence you came up with, we'll analyse it.

Besides, to presuppose that God doesn't exist, without having evidence, is also delusional by your calculations.
    No, that is incorrect, I'm not interested in presupposing anything.

I'm not young Rheg and I've had many tests. All contributed to my receiving faith. I am blessed.
    Are you not going to tell us? come on, if it passed the test lets hear it.

Ah! So your need to analyse is the cross you bear Rheg. The end result of that, is to analyse everything to destruction. Not a happy place. I can live with your atheism ... it doesn't affect me, but what are you so frightened of, that you need to try and destroy my, or anyone elses faith in God? Hmmmmm!

Quote Originally Posted by cptdodger View Post
    I watched a film the other night, The Invention Of Lying with Ricky Gervais. I have to say, it was'nt my cup of tea, I thought it was quite cruel in places actually and thinking about it, I doubt religious people would find it funny either, but the concept was clever. If you have'nt seen it, It was about a world where everybody told the truth, they had no idea what a lie was, so everybody was taken at their word. Until that is, Ricky Gervais found he could lie. When his mum was dying, she was scared, so he basically made heaven up, and because, as I said nobody could lie, everybody believed him, so it was as if he invented religion. An interesting concept !
    I'm far from a Ricky Gervais fanboy, and I hated "The Office" with a vengeance (because it was inane and so so goddamned boring), but I rather enjoyed The Invention of Lying. It's a simple but clever idea, and he pulled it off rather well.

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    Thats too symplistic Rheghead. I used to call it a delusion even before dawkins but even if it is a delusion its still more complex than that. Anything that deals with human emotions is going to get a lot of stick. Delusion or not somethings happening to millions of people through a belief. Its not all bad in fact most of its for the good but fanatical people will warp anything, even atheism. Theres always more than religion behind every suicide bomber.
    You asked a question at the start of this thread and the threads developed as it has and its thrown up some interesting answers, for me anyway, about the wisdom between New Atheists and religious people. The truth is ones as bad as the other.
    You are guilty as charged gleeber.

Yeah that is as ridiculous as saving offence by not taking the micky out would-be Dumbledores at a Harry Potter convention.
    That may be so, but at least we know that Dumbledore really existed - unlike some conjectured gods....

I've had many tests. All contributed to my receiving faith.
    Curious. Being a very subjective subject what would you consider a test? And is this a test of faith?
    And wouldn't you find faith rather than receive it?

Ah! So your need to analyse is the cross you bear Rheg. The end result of that, is to analyse everything to destruction. Not a happy place. I can live with your atheism ... it doesn't affect me, but what are you so frightened of, that you need to try and destroy my, or anyone elses faith in God? Hmmmmm!
    No burden M Swanson. The freedom to think critically is a nice place to be in.

I am frightened M Swanson. You are right about that. I'm frightened of what happens when faith gets in the way of thinking freely or hampering efforts to seek answers to the big questions on reality, health etc. When teachers and parents teach scripture to innocent kids as fact, that frightens me.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 24-Feb-13 at 01:35.

I have all the evidence I need, Rheg. Besides, to presuppose that God doesn't exist, without having evidence, is also delusional by your calculations. Who, or what, created the universe and us, then?

Radical, Man!

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526