Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheist Census

Default Atheist Census

I find it interesting that the atheist statistics show that men who are better educated (ie know a few more things than others) are shown to be the biggest group of atheist.

http://www.atheistcensus.com

Does this mean that women or people with a lack of higher education are more credulous?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    I find it interesting that the atheist statistics show that men who are better educated (ie know a few more things than others) are shown to be the biggest group of atheist.
    You possibly missed out a few words from the end of your sentence. Perhaps 'men who are better educated [...] are shown to be the biggest group of atheists who are online, have found the link to www.atheistcensus.com and are inclined to complete their survey' would have been more accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSoap View Post
    You possibly missed out a few words from the end of your sentence. Perhaps 'men who are better educated [...] are shown to be the biggest group of atheists who are online, have found the link to www.atheistcensus.com and are inclined to complete their survey' would have been more accurate?
    There wouldn't have been a bias in my question in that case!
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post

http://www.atheistcensus.com

Does this mean that women or people with a lack of higher education are more credulous?
    How do you come to the conclusion that better educated means "know a few more things than others".......I'd be more inclined to say it meant they know different things to others. For example the majority of our MPs are very well educated...but don't actually know much about economics or statistics..and even less about real life as lived by the majority of people in the UK.

I'd say it means that women or people with a lack of higher education are more liable to be less dogmatic and less inclined to think they know it all than men with a self-proclaimed "better" education. There are, remember, lots of agnostics in the UK as well.
    Last edited by Oddquine; 02-Jan-13 at 20:04.

There is truth in the saying: "I think therefore I am an Atheist".

There is also much truth in the question: What proof and evidence do you, as an atheist, have that is accurate and correct, about there being no God? Come on you clever boys, I'm waiting!

Quote Originally Posted by M Swanson View Post
    There is also much truth in the question: What proof and evidence do you, as an atheist, have that is accurate and correct, about there being no God? Come on you clever boys, I'm waiting!
    As Richard Dawkins would say....

What proof and evidence do you have that is accurate and correct, about there being no Invisible Dragon living in my garage? Come on you clever boy, I'm waiting!

You can't prove otherwise.... Does that make it true?
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post

What proof and evidence do you have that is accurate and correct, about there being no Invisible Dragon living in my garage? Come on you clever boy, I'm waiting!

I want one, I want one!

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    There is truth in the saying: "I think therefore I am an Atheist".
    Never heard that one before! Did an atheist come up with it?

What proof and evidence do you, as a believer, have that is accurate and correct, about there being a God? Come on, I'm waiting!

By the way do you also believe in every other god? The Vishnus the krishnas, the Bhuddas, etc? If you don't, then you too are an Atheist.

The truth is that 'god' is just Santa Claus for grown-ups.
    Last edited by Flynn; 02-Jan-13 at 23:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post

LOL. I'm not claiming your dragon exists, or doesn't! Why on earth would you think I have to prove anything? I don't suppose you're claiming that God doesn't exist, are you Al? I'll wait, shall I?

I like the idea of god from a believer's point of view, they even believe .. He has opening times like Tesco's. it's just a like a bus time table to go and pray.

God is in the mirror. Created in the likeness. does not matter how we got here, fact is we are here, enjoy it. A view is no more than a minds understanding of it's believes that it has learned through it's social structure along the view through the 5 sensory inputs we are gifted with. The beauty about WE has a whole is that we experience ,me as me, and you as you Who care's where it is going enjoy the ride!
    You do not watch a firework display saying with every boom.. " oh that is because it's 12 grams of explosive mixed with sulphate that's been compressed to 1 lb of pressure then another explosive that burns at a slower rate causing the delay.........." Instead you view in appreciation like a child. Why complicate it. Just breathe.

What proof and evidence do you, as a believer, have that is accurate and correct, about there being a God? Come on, I'm waiting!

By the way do you also believe in every other god? The Vishnus the krishnas, the Bhuddas, etc? If you don't, then you too are an Atheist.

Really? What proof and evidence do you have of this Flynn?

There is as much proof and evidence that is accurate and correct to promote atheism as there is to promote the believers' contention that a God, exists.....which is none......and you know that, I'm sure. Belief in something does not require or need proof and evidence...and nor does belief in nothing....that is the nature of belief......it is neither logical or rational. If it was the internet wouldn't be hoaching with Conspiracy Theories!

I do, from time to time call myself an atheist, depending on the level of religious irrationality of the person to whom I am posting and how dogmatic I want to appear to be...but atheism appears to be fast becoming a religion in its own right..and I'm not a believer in much..not even dogmatic unbelief.

Religion is the one subject on which I am ambivalent...because with a subject which can neither be proven or disproved, given nobody knows what we can't know before we die...seems to me that agnosticism is the way to go (in hedging bets mode!)

Epicurus said...... “Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

I left the Church of Scotland as a member/communicant having thought about the above, in the context of things which were going on in my/our world over the 1960s/early 1970s.....Israel/Palestine and the Six Day War, Vietnam/Mai Lai, the assassinations in the USA of men who were trying to make a difference, Ceausescu in Romania, the jailing of Mandela in SA, etc....just the general atmosphere in the world at that time which made me doubt my belief in a "God".

Since then, nobody has ever been able to explain to me why religion has come up with God's "get out of responsibility for anything" card of granting us "free will" when a God who seemingly did once give a toss about the world he purportedly created would still be doing what he theoretically did in the Old Testament...smiting those who trashed his "Chosen People"...and if his Chosen People is not and has never been anyone but the Jews.....as the Bible they wrote infers...........why the hell are we worshiping God at all? And how come Israel isn't getting a free pass from the world to get what they want......even if it is from the US, UK and many in the West?
    Last edited by Oddquine; 03-Jan-13 at 00:15.

Quote Originally Posted by grannymoose View Post
    I like the idea of god from a believer's point of view, they even believe .. He has opening times like Tesco's. it's just a like a bus time table to go and pray.

God is in the mirror. Created in the likeness. does not matter how we got here, fact is we are here, enjoy it. A view is no more than a minds understanding of it's believes that it has learned through it's social structure along the view through the 5 sensory inputs we are gifted with. The beauty about WE has a whole is that we experience ,me as me, and you as you Who care's where it is going enjoy the ride!
    You do not watch a firework display saying with every boom.. " oh that is because it's 12 grams of explosive mixed with sulphate that's been compressed to 1 lb of pressure then another explosive that burns at a slower rate causing the delay.........." Instead you view in appreciation like a child. Why complicate it. Just breathe.

The difference being that pyrotechnics are a scientific fact, and 'god' is just a fairy tale.

OQ said:- There is as much proof and evidence that is accurate and correct to promote atheism as there is to promote the believers' contention that a God, exists.....which is none......and you know that, I'm sure. Belief in something does not require or need proof and evidence...and nor does belief in nothing....that is the nature of belief......it is neither logical or rational. If it was the internet wouldn't be hoaching with Conspiracy Theories!

Indeed I do know, OQ.
    Which is why I have never said an atheist is right or wrong about what they believe, or don't! I care not a jot. Neither can be proven to anybodies satisfaction but oneself, through personal belief and faith, or disbelief and a faith placed elsewhere. Whatever gets you through your day is fine by me! And of course, atheists hold no fear for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    I want one, I want one!
    Just believe & Ye Shall Have....
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

The difference being that pyrotechnics are a scientific fact, and 'god' is just a fairy tale.
    So have scientists proved that God is just a fairy tale, Flynn? I'd like a link to that. Can you prove this Santa Claus/fairy tale claim of yours?

Here endeth the lesson!

Now, now, what does it matter whether we are atheists,agnostics or believers?
    What does matter is that we respect our fellow man and our environment and we can only do that if we recieve an education that promotes us to question,investigate,take nothing for granted and form our OWN judgemants.

So have scientists proved that God is just a fairy tale, Flynn? I'd like a link to that. Can you prove this Santa Claus/fairy tale claim of yours?

Here endeth the lesson!
    Why should they? It is up to the fairy tale believers to prove their fairy tales are real/ In thousands of years they haven't yet. Meanwhile science progresses. While religion was shooting schoolgirls in the head, science was finding the Higgs Boson and safely dropping a man to Earth from space.

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast