Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Falconers in Latheron

Question Falconers in Latheron

My great grandad Adam Falconer was born in Latheron in 1833. He married my great gran Christina Patterson in 1882 and died in 1902 at his croft at Roster. Wondered if anyone was able to help re his parents Alexander and Euphemia nee Gunn married Feb 1818 in Latheron. May have found Alex born in Elgin, although we always thought our Falconer family were Latheron born and bred! Having difficulty with finding Latheron OPR's info on Scotland's People. Adam emigrated to New Zealand late 1850's, but came back late 1870's. Two of his sisters stayed in NZ (Margaret and Catherine). Appreciate any help.

Quote Originally Posted by adamsk1 View Post
    My great grandad Adam Falconer was born in Latheron in 1833. He married my great gran Christina Patterson in 1882 and died in 1902 at his croft at Roster. Wondered if anyone was able to help re his parents Alexander and Euphemia nee Gunn married Feb 1818 in Latheron. May have found Alex born in Elgin, although we always thought our Falconer family were Latheron born and bred! Having difficulty with finding Latheron OPR's info on Scotland's People. Adam emigrated to New Zealand late 1850's, but came back late 1870's. Two of his sisters stayed in NZ (Margaret and Catherine). Appreciate any help.
    According to the 1851 census on FreeCen, your Alexander was born in Latheron. He died at Roster in 1858. Looks as if his parents, William Falconer and Janet Gunn were married in Latheron in 1786.

His wife is in Tout-na-Goul in the same grave as her father, Effy died 1848..and Alexander is mentioned on the MIs as her husband, with no dates but on his death certificate it says he was buried in Tout-Na-Goul so will likely be there as well.

Thanks very much, Oddquine. That is very helpful and has set me on the right track again.

Quote Originally Posted by adamsk1 View Post
    Thanks very much, Oddquine. That is very helpful and has set me on the right track again.
    Sent you a PM!