Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Isabella Brander ms Bain

Default Isabella Brander ms Bain

Hi, I am 99.9% sure that I have found Isabella in the 1911 census at 10 Rosslyn Hill Hampstead as a patient, shown born 1848 aged 63yrs a widow born Hampstead Wick. I also found a possible death in 1922 in Kensington.

I think you may be on a totally different track. Hampton Wick is most certainly not in Scotland

Domino, Coming from within 20 miles of the "Royal Burgh of Wick" in SCOTLAND, I am well aware that Hampton Wick is not in Scotland but I didn't say it did. Therefore I am not on a Totally different track. Isabella daughter of Alexander Bain the Inventor is my relative, and travelled far and wide, and I am led to believe she came back to England to live.

I apologise. I was not my intention to offend anyone

Apology accepted, Are you related to the Bain's?

Have just checked the 1911 census plus the index entry for the death of an Isabel Brander, aged 74 in 1922 and they appear to fit exactly. Perhaps you should go on-line to GRO in Stockport and get a copy of the death certificate. Although English certificates are notoriously short of useful information, you may be lucky.

I also found 10 Rosslyn Hill on Google. It is a semi-detached 5 bedroomed house valued at 11.5 million pounds. I also noted that the London Free Hampstead Hospital is just along the road, so that may be where Isabel was in the 1911 census.

Thank you Durran, I am about to start my research, (now I've had me tea) so will take a look. Thanks again.

Yes you are correct that is isabella Brander that you found on 1911 Census and also her death. Her will states that £884 was left to a Bella MacNaughton. (spinster)
    I think her Isabella's husband was a Banker ( Still checking that out ) Isabella travelled from Liverpool on 1st Aug 1908 to Boston I wonder could that of been to visit her brother Alexander?

Hi Tiffers, If you have a look on Google for Sophie Jex-Blake a woman pioneer in nineteenth century medical reform, she was a friend of Isabella's, they went to Queens College together. and sailed to Boston on 27th May 1865 on the steamship "Africa".

Hi Scotsannie
    Well this answers my puzzle on Queens college so the name Elizabeth on the article that I sent you has to of been an error as I have both of them living at the same address in1861 Sophie aged 21 (Lodger) and Isabella aged 13 (Pupil). The more I find out about her the more interesting she gets.

Hi Tiffers,
    I know I was up till 2-0am last night, trying to find out what I could about Isabel. I am sure between us we will discover lots of interesting things.