Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: pointless carpark

Quote Originally Posted by Slickly View Post
    Even if yellow lines were painted, you'd still have the same situation because then the 'disabled' badge brigade would occupy the spot in their droves - they're attracted to yellow lines like a moth to light.
    Disabled drivers are subject to the same laws as every other drivers. If they cause an obstruction they can be prosecuted the same way as anyone else and lose their Blue Badge.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    Disabled drivers are subject to the same laws as every other drivers.
    Firstly, considering that a 'disabled' badge allows them to abandon their vehicles on double yellow lines, that statement is factually incorrect since as an 'other driver' I can't in law do that. Secondly, empirically, 'disabled' badge holders appear to have a divine right to park on yellow lines outside a supermarket for example in the name of 'unable to walk any distance', but also have miraculous powers to overcome that problem when they then spend an hour walking around said supermarket.

Firstly, considering that a 'disabled' badge allows them to abandon their vehicles on double yellow lines, that statement is factually incorrect since as an 'other driver' I can't in law do that. Secondly, empirically, 'disabled' badge holders appear to have a divine right to park on yellow lines outside a supermarket for example in the name of 'unable to walk any distance', but also have miraculous powers to overcome that problem when they then spend an hour walking around said supermarket.
    The driver of the car and the holderof the badge, does not have to be disabled to hold a "disabled badge", it may be a member of the driver's family that is disabled.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

I’m not going to get fixated on yellow lines. There aren’t any near the junction everyone had been discussing.
    The Road Traffic Act applies equally to both disabled and able drivers regarding obstruction.
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    The driver of the car and the holderof the badge, does not have to be disabled to hold a "disabled badge", it may be a member of the driver's family that is disabled.
    But they're supposed to have the 'disabled' person with them when using it, which is rarely the case.

Even if yellow lines were painted, you'd still have the same situation because then the 'disabled' badge brigade would occupy the spot in their droves - they're attracted to yellow lines like a moth to light.
    i'd take issue with your sweeping (and oh-so controversial) generalisation, but if this does occasionally happen, then it's probably because all the disabled spaces are occupied by lazy able bodied drivers

Quote Originally Posted by rogermellie View Post
    i'd take issue with your sweeping (and oh-so controversial) generalisation, but if this does occasionally happen, then it's probably because all the disabled spaces are occupied by lazy able bodied drivers

While I agree Slickly is wrong to make such a broad generalisation, it is fair to say that the community of disabled drivers has its equal share of ignorant, selfish, numpties behind the steering wheel.
    Maya Angelou

it is fair to say that the community of disabled drivers has its equal share of ignorant, selfish, numpties behind the steering wheel.
    My empirical evidence would suggest that should read "disproportionately larger share". Of course that is then met with, "oh but you can't always see the disability." Too right you can't as it isn't there.

Without rules, the definition of right and wrong is purely subjective.The rules here seem very clear, simple and adhered to: yellow lines, you can't park; no yellow lines, you can park.It strikes me that those bleating most about this would themselves rather park in front of the shop, but can't because someone has always got there before them.
    Yet again you are making assumptions without any foundation for them. Those who complain about the parking are concerned about safety and have no wish to park in these places themselves. Do you really need rules to tell you the difference between right and wrong? Most of the financial fiddling that goes on these days is apparently within the rules, that doesn't stop it being plain wrong. You have now had the Highway Code explained to you but if drivers can't see they are parking selfishly and dangerously without needing yellow lines to tell them there's something seriously wrong somewhere.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

well said badger,i started this post,as i was worried about everyones safety,id disregard the last post,not worth a responce.

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    Do you really need rules to tell you the difference between right and wrong?
    I'll say it again - without some form of rule or definition, right and wrong is entirely subjective. There's a difference between 'dislike' and 'wrong'. Just because hells_bells nose is out of joint over a car legally parked does not suddenly make it technically 'wrong'. For example, I dislike seeing tattoos on people as I think it makes them look cheap and ignorant, but that doesn't make it technically 'wrong' - it would be a bit much for me to expect a law to get passed just because my sensibilities are upset. And if the Highway Code is suddenly the law of the land, then I seem to remember that it tells pedestrians to move along the road to an area free of parked cars before crossing the road. So who's lazy now?

There doesn't need to be yellow lines, am sure somewhere in the highway code it tells you not to park within a certain distance of a junction. Both the post office and the local shop are at junctions.

There is your rule SIS, not subjective at all.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    There doesn't need to be yellow lines, am sure somewhere in the highway code it tells you not to park within a certain distance of a junction. Both the post office and the local shop are at junctions.There is your rule SIS, not subjective at all.
    If those who believe there is a law being broken were to contact the Police, EVERY time a car parked there, then one of two things will happen. Either the Police will deal with it appropriately, or the moaners will be charged with Police harassment. Either way, you get a result. But since the Police already believe there is no issue, then trust them first before believing me or any other nutter on here.

If those who believe there is a law being broken were to contact the Police, EVERY time a car parked there, then one of two things will happen. Either the Police will deal with it appropriately, or the moaners will be charged with Police harassment. Either way, you get a result. But since the Police already believe there is no issue, then trust them first before believing me or any other nutter on here.
    Lol!

Great suggestion!

Well as a driver I always carry a small digital camera in the car and as I occasionally use Castletown Post Office I might just photograph any vehicle causing an obstruction and email it with my complaint to mail@northern.pnn.police.uk
    Maya Angelou

Well as a driver I always carry a small digital camera in the car
    Cheezo! That's a bit Orwellian. As a driver I carry a spare headlight bulb and a window duster. I think if you're spotted driving around outside sweetie shops taking pictures of the public with a small digital camera then you're running the biggest risk of anyone of having your collar felt. Castletown clearly has more to fear from the nosey parker than the dodgy parker.

Cheezo! That's a bit Orwellian. As a driver I carry a spare headlight bulb and a window duster. I think if you're spotted driving around outside sweetie shops taking pictures of the public with a small digital camera then you're running the biggest risk of anyone of having your collar felt. Castletown clearly has more to fear from the nosey parker than the dodgy parker.
    As a driver, I always hold onto the steering wheel and would be unable to photograph miscreants, unless I first parked outside the post office of course.

Default pointless parking

and the ignorant lazy parking goes on.

Well as a driver I always carry a small digital camera in the car and as I occasionally use Castletown Post Office I might just photograph any vehicle causing an obstruction and email it with my complaint to mail@northern.pnn.police.uk
    As innocent as it may seem you taking pics of inappropriately parked cars, all it takes is one person to see you taking the pic and then phoning the police claiming you are a perv or such like. I say this as it happened in the street i used to live in. One nosy neighbour was out taking pics of the young lads fixing their cars and one of the lads took offence as his daughter was in the car and he claimed it looked like he was taking a pic of her. One call to the cops later and mr nosy was arrested and given a police caution and had the camera confiscated and his house searched and PC taken to check for any inappropriate content. Caused a big riot in the street though and it was war for a while with cars being scratched and tyres cut until mr nosy was caught in the act and done over....

Quote Originally Posted by hells_belle View Post
    and the ignorant lazy parking goes on.
    And I notice lazy irresponsible pedestrians still crossing the road between cars rather than moving to a point with a clear view before crossing the road.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast