Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: pointless carpark

Default pointless carpark

there was a purpose built carpark installed to help stop conjestion infront of castletown post office.where i understand that there are folk who are unable to walk the distance,the vast majority are young folk who are simply too lazy.and as a result its an accident waiting to happen,especially during school hours when kids cant see if anythings coming due to LAZY drivers.. parking where they choose,sad,sad state of affairs.

Parking in the car park and then walking across the main road to the shop could get you into a worse accident.

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    Parking in the car park and then walking across the main road to the shop could get you into a worse accident.
    I'd agree with that if the road to be crossed was a four-lane dual carriageway, but it isn't.

There is a website where people can display pictures of idiotic parking and shame the idiot parkers. I can't link it here though because it has an extremely rude word in its name.
    Last edited by Flynn; 01-Dec-12 at 13:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    I'd agree with that if the road to be crossed was a four-lane dual carriageway, but it isn't.

There is a website where people can display pictures of idiotic parking and shame the idiot parkers. I can't link it here though because it has an extremely rude word in its name.
    Lots of pedestrians are killed crossing the road, within 30 mph limits.

I'm serious. The parking at the shop door is not really dangerous: has there even been a crash?

It is inconvenient to other road users who have to stop, or drive around the parked cars.

Lots of pedestrians are killed crossing the road, within 30 mph limits.

I'm serious. The parking at the shop door is not really dangerous: has there even been a crash?

It is inconvenient to other road users who have to stop, or drive around the parked cars.
    How many have been killed on the Main street? I agree with Hells Belle, not using the provided car park is just laziness.

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    How many have been killed on the Main street? I agree with Hells Belle, not using the provided car park is just laziness.
    Of course it's laziness.

I just don't believe it's all that dangerous and "sad sad state of affairs" is a comical exaggeration. Abuse in orphanages and civil war in Syria are sad sad states of affairs. Cars parked at the shop are not as bad as that, or at least that's what I think.

one of the worst 'offenders' of parking outside the post office on the pavement is the wee red mini .... but she works in the post office so that's okay

This is something i have been meaning to bring up. the car park is a great idea but no one uses it. Just because there hasn't been an accident yet doesn't mean their wont be. i have seen several near misses. you try taking a bus round a parked car and the turn right down the Bower road then meet something coming the other way. because of the parked car you are totally in the wrong postion to take that corner thus causing an obstruction to the on coming traffic.
    sometimes the devil needs an advocate

Quote Originally Posted by billmoseley View Post
    This is something i have been meaning to bring up. the car park is a great idea but no one uses it. Just because there hasn't been an accident yet doesn't mean their wont be. i have seen several near misses. you try taking a bus round a parked car and the turn right down the Bower road then meet something coming the other way. because of the parked car you are totally in the wrong postion to take that corner thus causing an obstruction to the on coming traffic.
    Yes, it's inconvenient and annoying, but are you actually going to squash someone?

Yes, it's inconvenient and annoying, but are you actually going to squash someone?
    Yes it could well happen cars come round from Dunnet round that corner at a rate of knots sometimes if your on the wrong side of the road because of a parked car they have nowhere to go. It doesn't take much of a knock from a 10 ton bus to kill or seriously injure some one. Don't well be more careful because we always are.
    sometimes the devil needs an advocate

Forget the shop parking what about the people that park on the road outside the houses on the left coming into Castle town from Thurso... they pose the same problem.

If there isn't double yellows, then the powers that be obviously don't see it as an issue.

If there is double yellows, take pics and report them.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

It`s just the lazy folk who don`t want to walk a few steps,it happens all over the county.
    Don`t bother "repping" me it`s turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik.M. View Post
    It`s just the lazy folk who don`t want to walk a few steps,it happens all over the county.
    True. The same people who would park in a disabled bay at the supermarket.

thanks for all your replys,its nice to know that there are some folk,with the same opinion as me

This is a bugbear of mine too. It shows a total lack of consideration for other road users. For the convenience of the parker, they inconvenience everyone else - pure selfishness. It's also against the Highway Code to park opposite a junction but that's obviously passed most people by:

https://www.gov.uk/waiting-and-parki...ing-239-to-247
    (see rule 243, but also 239 and 242)

Will the Community Council ask HC to put double yellow lines outside the shop or are they all parking there themselves??!
    Last edited by Birdie Wife; 05-Dec-12 at 12:40. Reason: added content

i was hoping that my thread might make a difference,but sadly the LAZY parking continues

Along with the building of the car park part of the response to the original issue was to install bollards, presumably to prevent drivers pulling up onto the kerb to abandon their cars while they visited the post office. This whole debacle epitomises the way the council works. No real research into the problem, I doubt any road traffic planner had ever been near Castletown. So a scribble on the back of a fag packet in some ivory tower in Inversnecky and a job is written off as done, badly.
    Yellow lines wouldn’t make a blind bit of difference because there is no one there to police them.
    Pedestrian railings should have been installed on both sides of the road to make it pointless parking. Then drivers would have to move further along the road, away from the corners before they could stop.
    With any public project like this planners really need to consider the dumbest, inconsiderate, most intransigent numpties that unfortunately live among us.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

the LAZY parking continues,it really is sad,all for the sake of not walking 100 feet from CAR park.......,Gronnuck you are spot on with what you've said.your last sentence says it all.

I am amazed no one has come up with the solution which is staring you all in the face. Move the shop into the carpark and make it a drive through.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast