Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Homemade Jam

Default Homemade Jam

Hi there, I've never made jam before but would really like to give it a go. Anyone with any recipes will be gratefully received along with instructions lol.
    What doesn't kill you, will make you stronger.....

The general rule of thumb for jam is: 1 lb of sugar to 1 lb of fruit. Use good quality fruit, and when it has cooked add the warmed sugar. Bring the mixture back to the boil, and boil until it reaches setting point. There are a number of ways to check the setting point. The most common one is to put a small amount of the mixture onto a cold saucer, and if a skin forms in a few minutes, it's ready. Another one, which I've not tried, is to boil the mixture until it sticks to the side of a wooden spoon when it's tipped sideways. The jars must be clean, warm and dry. Before covering, make sure the edges of the jars are clean, then place a waxed disc on the jam before sealing. Label the jars with the type of jam, and don't forget to put the date on the label! There are loads of recipes on the Internet, some easier than others. Give it a try, you'll never want shop bought jam again! I make marmalade, and my daughter makes a variety of jams, as she has access to a variety of fruits. We then do a swop!
    Snowmen fall from the sky unassembled!

Hi beat bug thank you so much for your reply really appriciate it. Ok so I think I've got jest of it but what do you cook fruit in, any liquid? Does warm sugar mean it needs to be dissolved?. I'm sure I saw jam sugar in tescos I take it that's best to use? Thank you. :-)
    What doesn't kill you, will make you stronger.....

Quote Originally Posted by telfordstar View Post
    Hi beat bug thank you so much for your reply really appriciate it. Ok so I think I've got jest of it but what do you cook fruit in, any liquid? Does warm sugar mean it needs to be dissolved?. I'm sure I saw jam sugar in tescos I take it that's best to use? Thank you. :-)
    There are two types of jam sugar, one has added pectin. It's a coarser grain sugar as that dissolves better. Some fruit needs very little water, others more. Some fruit is just washed and put in the pan. The water that adheres to it is enough, as once the fruit starts to cook, it releases a liquid. The fruit should be fully cooked before adding the sugar. I've been making rhubarb jam and gooseberry jam on alternate years, not adding any water, and the jams turn out fine. In fact this morning hubby opened the last jar of gooseberry jam I made in Sept. 2009! What fruit had you in mind for starting with? I just might have a recipe for it.
    Snowmen fall from the sky unassembled!