Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Unusual Birds

Default Unusual Birds

A flock of unusual birds appeared in my garden today. I have never noticed this bird before. They were a little larger than starlings and very colourful which drew my attention. They had a greyish back lighter shade on the breast brownish head with a crest a yellow flash on the tail yellow stripe on the wings and a small red flash at the base of the wing. They flew back and fore all day between our garden and a neighbour feeding off bushes which are covered in red berries. These bushes are now well stripped. I am no expert on birds but I am sure someone on here will know what they were.confused

Lightbulb

Waxwings.
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

You aew spot on Auldtimer. Looked them up on the web and they are certainly Waxwings. By the RSPB site they migrate to Britain in winter. Maybe they are unusual in Caithness as they say they are mainly seen from Aberdeenshire southwards. I cant remember seeing them before they were back today but bushes well stripped now so maybe not see them again. Thank you.

Smile Bohemian Waxwings

The birds were Bohemian Waxwings, did they have a crest?
    A little off course, apparently there was a lot in Castletown about 2weeks ago. I had the pleasure of seeing about a dozen to day, strip my bush clean of the berries.
    Fantastic to see theses birds.

Yes a crest on the heads. Must have been about 15 first day. Saw odd one or two in neighbours garden today but bushes well stripped now.

There have been some in Watten for the last weeks. In fact they have been there in the Autumn for the last 3 years. I have seen them in the Western Isles and on Skye over the years too.

Lots of starlings at this time of year
    Last edited by Half pint; 30-Nov-12 at 14:33.

Just had 2 waxwings visiting this morning

Just seen a seagull??? I didn't think we got such creatures in Caithness????

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Half pint View Post
    Just seen a seagull??? I didn't think we got such creatures in Caithness????
    Yep,almost as many gulls as their are Common Twats.

Absolutely. Very well said