Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: What Are You Listening To At The Moment?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What Are You Listening To At The Moment?

Ok, I thought it might be good to have a music thread where you share what you're listening to / good albums / things other people might not have heard of or gotten round to listening to yet.

My favourite albums I have on just now are

Grizzly Bear - Shields (brilliant melodic album, with some hints of John Lennon Instant Karma era stuff in there, beautiful melodies and vocal lines)
    Alt-J - A Different Wave (just won the Mercury Music Prize, not that that means anything anymore, but its a good album, some will hate it)
    Deerhoof - Breakup Song (this is completely off the beaten track, very different but immensely fun and brilliant musicianship)
    Graham Coxon - A+E (Blur's guitarist is so much more than just being Blur's guitarist. Love his new album)
    Jack White - Blunderbuss (He's just brilliant, Jack White. Bits of Motown, the blues which I ordinarily don't like, and his own unique slant on lyrics and guitar playing. Brilliant)
    Richard Hawley - Standing at the Sky's Edge (He's usually a crooner, but has turned up the guitars loud. Very atmospheric)
    Tame Impala - Lonerism (it sounds like 70's prog rock with massive synths and guitars!)

a little bit retro

pixies
    rory gallagher
    steely dan

newer stuff
    the black keys
    vintage trouble
    and the new bellowhead album-broadside

Same as for last 35 years. I swear no music has been written since 1976

What did you listen to 35 years ago?

Its funny, I went through a phase of denying new stuff too. I was sure that everything I needed to listen to had been written int he 90's. I was wrong

I had Yes - The Yes Album on today.

Quote Originally Posted by mike.mckenzie View Post
    What did you listen to 35 years ago?

Its funny, I went through a phase of denying new stuff too. I was sure that everything I needed to listen to had been written int he 90's. I was wrong

I had Yes - The Yes Album on today.
    They wrote music in the 1990s? Chris Kristofferson today.

The yes album ? Never get past fragile myself

Anyone listening to anything new then? I'm enjoying Currents by Tame Impala. Especially the opening track Let It Happen

Neon Waltz!

Default Mogwai - Central Belters

“We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Last night it was Husker Du's "Zen Arcade" and the first two Moby Grape albums (first one's great, second not so great).I may just be going through a phase of listening to bands with ridiculous names.

The bugle podcast

Charles Lloyd and Lucinda Williams, Vanishing Gardens cd. Jazz sax and a country-ish singer doesn't look like a good idea, but it works really well.

Also heard Mike Peters of The Alarm do an acoustic set in a music shop in Edinburgh on Monday. Never a huge fan in the 80s, but he was in good form and the new Alarm album's pretty sound.

This Mortal Coil's first album, It'll End In Tears. Odd sort of a band, as far as I can mind they only really existed in the studio and were made up of musicians on the 4AD label. Their cover of Song to the Siren still gets me after 35 years.

And yet another live Neil Young album, Songs For Judy, recordings from a 1976 US tour. He's someone that could do with some quality-control, especially some of his more recent stuff, but this is him on top form.

Do any of you listen or watch Radio paradise on the net ? I think it is a good alternative to regular radio...
    whats your views?

Listening to the Long Ryders, "Psychedelic Country Soul". It's their first since 1987 and well worth the wait. Didn't Sid Griffin the singer play the Pentland, back when Wildcat was putting on gigs?