Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Newspaper reports 1903

Default Newspaper reports 1903

I am interested in finding out more about a case involving a John Fleming who was arrested in Yarmouth in 1903 on a charge of stabbing another man. The court it said in the local newspaper was filled with Scottish fishermen and the suspect was from Wick.

How do you find out what happened next? Would there be court records and how to find them in England? Would the papers in Wick report the incident which took place around 27th October 1903. Which papers would have been read at that time in Wick?

Marionq,

The newspapers to check are the John O'Groat Journal (Established 1836, and still being printed), and the Northern Ensign (discontinued in the 1920s or 1930s, I think).

If you contact the North Highland Archive centre in Wick they would be able to check the newspapers of the time for you, and provide copies of any articles published.

As for English sources, I am afraid that I can't offer any advice in that direction.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Regards,
    Steven
    Last edited by sgmcgregor; 29-Oct-12 at 20:10. Reason: spelling mistake

I have a newspaper report about this case
    Evening Telegraph 27 Oct 1903 please send me a Private message with your private address so that I can send you the article. as it's too long to type out here.
    Trinkie.