Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Driving in Caithness

Default Driving in Caithness

Hi all,

As part of studies in HND Business, i have to do research skills.

I am researching whether the driving standards in Caithness are better or worse than anywhere else.

Could you please fill in the questionairre on the link below and let me know your thoughts.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MB5SVCP

Thanks in advance

Baggie boy

Done!...........
    Snowmen fall from the sky unassembled!

Good topic to choose. There are idiot drivers everywhere, but the idiots in Caithness are the best!

Yer right. Its the ones doing 40/50mph everywhere that are the worst. Holding up long lines of traffic during the rush hours, and even doing the same speeds in 30 zones!

Sadly enough I enjoyed filling out this questionnaire. I gave me the opportunity to vent frustration and put forward opinion without it being questioned or attacked.
    I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore

Any chance of a synopsis of the answers?
    Snowmen fall from the sky unassembled!

Quote Originally Posted by Even Chance View Post
    Yer right. Its the ones doing 40/50mph everywhere that are the worst. Holding up long lines of traffic during the rush hours, and even doing the same speeds in 30 zones!
    The worst are the ones who have high speed crashes.

"Driving in Caithness" is perhaps a misnomer. "Aiming in Caithness" gives a better flavour of some road-hogging bottom-feeders throwing their tin chariots along the A9 at suicidal speed and with little regard for other road users.

Q9. What do you think of the driving standards in Caithness.
    A. I'll crack the jokes round here!

Having driven a variety of vehicles all over the world I can say hand on heart driving in Caithness is a doddle. I do have a great deal of admiration for the pick-up driver I encountered yesterday who was speaking on his mobile phone, eating his piece and manoeuvring into a passing place to let me pass. I just hope he didn't spill his tea when he returned my cheery wave!
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Simple rules in Caithness...........keep to the brow of the road unless there is something in the way. Never parallel park if you can double park and have a chat instead.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Dont follow Q10 re powerful cars being more readily available to inexperienced drivers.
    There has never been any rules to prevent access to powerful cars, if you can buy it you can drive it

If anything I would say it's now more difficult for a youngster to have a powerful car. My cousin just passed his test and to insure a 1.0L micra is costing him £1700 for his first year fire and theft.

It's certainly much more expensive than it was when I were a lad

When I started driving 14 years ago you could get more BHP for your buck when compared to now.

Quote Originally Posted by focusRS View Post
    When I started driving 14 years ago you could get more BHP for your buck when compared to now.
    Can't see that. Yer average 10 year old family car had about 90 BHP then. Now more like 120. Assuming, like me, your first car is about 10 years old. What has changed is that a 10 year old car then was a wreck. Where as now they can be quite reasonable.

My first car was a 10 year old Austin 1300. That was a wreck!
    Last edited by ducati; 26-Oct-12 at 09:10.

I don't claim to be a perfect driver, but have to share what I saw today.

Heading into Thurso approaching Ormlie Industrial Estate, when the Homeaid van pulls out in front of me. I was quite near the junction and if I'd been waiting to come out of the junction I would have waited for the traffic to pass, but the van didn't.
    Then approaching the Homeaid shop it indicates and pulls over to double park outside the shop straight into the path of an oncoming car. The look on the driver's face in the silver car that was forced to stop said it all! Obviously the silver car heading up towards the station didn't have right of way!
    Appalling driving from the Homeaid van driver.
    As one door shuts, another one slams in your face.

Quote Originally Posted by Even Chance View Post
    40mph is too slow unless weather conditions such as heavy snow etc make 40mph and below very necessary. I drive at 50mph on 60mph roads due to the fact i use alot less fuel at 50 than at 60. Don't have a lot of money to waste in fuel so i drive at the speed I do to ensure i get more miles to the gallan.
    Too slow and too fast is what causes most accidents. They are both as bad as each other.
    There are alot of people in caithness who should not be on the roads. Some I have no idea how the heck they passed their test in the first place.
    When we get heavy snow here it will also weed out who can drive and who can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Koi View Post
    40mph is too slow unless weather conditions such as heavy snow etc make 40mph and below very necessary. I drive at 50mph on 60mph roads due to the fact i use alot less fuel at 50 than at 60. Don't have a lot of money to waste in fuel so i drive at the speed I do to ensure i get more miles to the gallan.
    Too slow and too fast is what causes most accidents. They are both as bad as each other.
    There are alot of people in caithness who should not be on the roads. Some I have no idea how the heck they passed their test in the first place.
    When we get heavy snow here it will also weed out who can drive and who can't.
    Dont agree there Im afraid. Your still holding up the flow of traffic and causing frustration. How many folk overtake you whilst on a regular trip I wonder? That can be dangerous in its own right. Have a look in yer mirror and see the line forming, then have a wee think to yourself. I know fuel is dear nowadays, but the difference in consumption between driving at 50, and 60 is marginal. At least I presume your one of the ones that slow down when you get to a 30 zone?

last week a white van pushed me through Watten at 30mph glued to my rear bumper, and was even wandering over the road as if to pass me! Yet when I accelerated back up to 60 again, they were just a speck in my mirror! Eejit!

I think the biggest problem with drivers in Caithness is that folk that learn here and don't then do much driving elsewhere just have no concept of how to drive when there is other traffic on the roads.

In particular behaviour at road junctions is appalling. A little courtesy would go so far. When there are cars waiting to pull out of a junction, and you are waiting to pass that junction in a queue of traffic it will cost nothing to leave a gap for the cars wishing to pull out to drive into. Even if they happen to be waiting to turn your way and would then be in front of you it will still at worst cause you an extra second or two on your journey. Basic courtesy makes such a difference!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast