Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Entering data into Excel

Default Entering data into Excel

I need to enter an enormous lot of lines of data into Excel so I can do some statistical analysis with it. Unfortunately, it has originally been typed onto a Word document and each line has bits of data has each have been seperated by a comma but I need to enter each into an individual cell into excel.

Is there a way to import the data and let excel automatically seperate each bit of data into individual cells and discard the commas?

Thanks in advance
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    I need to enter an enormous lot of lines of data into Excel so I can do some statistical analysis with it. Unfortunately, it has originally been typed onto a Word document and each line has bits of data has each have been seperated by a comma but I need to enter each into an individual cell into excel.

Is there a way to import the data and let excel automatically seperate each bit of data into individual cells and discard the commas?
    In Word: Save as "Plain Text file"
    Should be able to save as exceldata.txt ( or better still exceldata.csv)
    In Excel
    File Open
    Pull down to "Text files (*.prn, *.txt, *.csv)
    Find the file created above.
    Should then lead through a series of screens to allow the data to be imported easily.

There may be some slight niggles, depending on the data contents, in which case it might be a bit more complicated.

Good question that I dont have the answer to, but need to do something similar. www.teach-ict.com is a useful site for that sort of self help use.

Good luck with that Rheghead and let me know how you get on.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Many thanks Jim, that worked a treat.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Just to add that, for non-standard delimiting characters, or for changing them/putting some in, Windows Notepad saved me many hours of work on a ~1 million element data set. Out of curiosity, what stats are you doing? Just descriptives? Otherwise/alternatively, I can recommend Origin, SPSS and Minitab.