Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Gaelic speakers urged to 'use it or lose it'

Smile Gaelic speakers urged to 'use it or lose it'

The Caithness Arts Index has posted the following article:

Gaelic speakers urged to 'use it or lose it'

[IMG][/IMG] Gaelic speakers were yesterday urged to make the most of their language skills to ensure that a key part of Scottish heritage continues to grow for future generations. Cabinet Secretary for Education and Lifelong Learning Michael Russell will speak at the world renowned annual celebration of the Gaelic language, the Royal National Mod (Am Ṃd Nàiseanta Ŕoghail), in Dunoon this evening. ... [Read Full Article]

In my experiance Gaelic speakers get discriminated against here in Caithness.

They're not - but a lot of people do object to public money being spent to promote it.

If you pay peanuts you get monkeys. Which is right.

At least Arthur Peanut stepped down due to total incompetence. It took him a long time to realise it despite me telling him so often.

Does it really matter if the language dies out?
    What's important is that people can communicate with one another & at present the English language fulfils that role quite nicely.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Quote Originally Posted by baileys Bhoy View Post
    In my experiance Gaelic speakers get discriminated against here in Caithness.
    Is it discrimination? If you address me in a language I don't understand, how can I serve you?

It's made more complicated by the fact that all Gaelic speakers also speak English, which I do understand.

Actually, no-one's ever spoken to me in Gaelic, so I've never even had the chance to discriminate against them.

Sometimes a so-called 'dead' language can be a useful tool in understanding where our modern day language comes from. I learned the Irish Gaelic at school, and am now learning the Scottish Gaelic. They are very similar, and sometimes almost identical. I'm not learning it to 'keep it alive' or communicate with others, I'm learning it just because I want to, and in doing so I'm keeping my brain alive!
    Snowmen fall from the sky unassembled!