Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: .Orger Usergroup for Change

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    Ps, This is a thread about the selection of a Users Group, for User by Users. Why are these Mods here telling us what should and shouldn't be?
    Im a user too actually Dreadnought. if youare asking why im expressing my opinion its because i thought it was valid.... as a user's opinion that is

Porshie, now I have all this free time on my hands I would like to become a member of your group.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    Hey..... dont shout at me!!!! i wasnt telling you not to discuss it - just to take it somewhere else. This thread is about other things I didnt think it was helpful thats all. There was no need to be so shirty I may be a mod but im allowed a flipping opinion too
    Just an aside: Exactly the situation that a seperate MOD account would prevent.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaishowing View Post
    Just an aside: Exactly the situation that a seperate MOD account would prevent.

These are all the sorts of issues that the user group will explore i am sure

Dreadnought,
    I am not telling anyone anything - I am suggesting alterantives to peoples suggestions because they may not have thought of that option.

At least Gogglebox has the right mindset -
    Hope the current moderators are not holding back putting themselves forward for the user group because of recent events.

Their opinions and experiences will be very important in shaping things

They may be moderators but they are still orgers and their opinion is important. Its a way foward that is being sought not a revolution.

Dont throw the baby out with the bathwater!! - - what a daft saying!!
    And exactly what is your role here? You see that we are trying to move forward but seem determined to open the sores again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought
    May I suggest the User Group is comprised only of Caithnessians?
    And may I ask what is your connection to Caithness? From your profile you have friends in the county. Is that all? Never lived there? Educated there? Worked there? Family born there? If that is the case then maybe you should leave the decision making to the people with deeper connections to the county.

Just curious....

Quote Originally Posted by MadPict View Post
    And may I ask what is your connection to Caithness? From your profile you have friends in the county. Is that all? Never lived there? Educated there? Worked there? Family born there? If that is the case then maybe you should leave the decision making to the people with deeper connections to the county. Just curious....
    Me too MP, at least I was born there

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    Hey..... dont shout at me!!!! i wasnt telling you not to discuss it - just to take it somewhere else. This thread is about other things I didnt think it was helpful thats all. There was no need to be so shirty I may be a mod but im allowed a flipping opinion too

I shouted because you don't, or don't want to understand. The wy the User Group is selected is VERY important if it is to be trusted by the members. In the current climate moderators and Admin or barely trusted at all, mainly due to recent events, but also due to the manner of their selection ie, behind closed doors with no input from the membership.
    If you want to avoid this situation arising again, then the selection has to be completely open and democratic.
    That is very relevant to this thread, and I see no reason to 'take it somewhere else'.

And may I ask what is your connection to Caithness? From your profile you have friends in the county. Is that all? Never lived there? Educated there? Worked there? Family born there? If that is the case then maybe you should leave the decision making to the people with deeper connections to the county.

Just curious....

Isn't that exactly what I said inmy post? Am I missing something here? Or is it just a case of you and Golach spoiling for another argument in the hopes of disrupting yet another thread?

I know there are a number of different points being discussed here (especially the concerns about the Moderators role), but this thread is specifically about the proposed Usergroup Committee, so if I might, Id like to bring it back to that.

From what I understood in Colins opening post, this Usergroup Committee of volunteers is (as of right now) to do three things (though perhaps not in this order, and I may be wrong in interpretation, so please correct me, if necessary):

1 Look at the T&Cs and forum rules and make suggestions for revisions to make it all fairer and clearer (I would interpolate that this would include looking at, and possibly incorporating, any suggestions submitted to the committee by members, too)

2 Take nominations from the members for new Moderators. These people would then post a bit about themselves, and voting would take place by the membership

3 Review and suggest changes to the Moderators Code of Conduct, practices, and policies, and look at the feasibility of setting up a system of periodically rotating Mods (again, welcoming any member suggestions for consideration)

I had the impression that any suggestions or recommendations this Committee is to make would have to be approved by both the Admin (for feasability, legality, and ???) and the members (by their agreement to follow them) before being implemented. And then once they have finished the above, the committee would be disbanded.

From what has been posted in the last few days, I also get the idea that it is preferred by everyone that this committee gets working to suggest changes asap. The problem then is, if you are first of all wanting to take nominations and a poll for committee members, you are going to get bogged down with it taking a lot of time just for that. Furthermore, from what a few are saying, just who is it, in the current climate of feeling, that you are going to trust to run the nominations and polling?

So far as I can tell, those who have already volunteered are a fairly diverse group...only 11 so far (when I began typing this, perhaps there are new posts since then), which doesnt sound like there are hoardes wanting to do the official work. Perhaps it would be helpful, Porshiepoo, if you posted who you have on your list so far? I cant remember myself all the names who have volunteered without running through the posts again and writing them down.
    The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea. ~Isak Dinesen

Not spoiling for a fight - and I think if you wish to check my post history I have remained on reasonable terms with most folk here. Even my old wind farm adversary Rheghead and I even in the heat of tilting at windmills retained a mutaual respect. I even stood behind saxovtr when he was posting about speeders in Watten. Not the actions of a hateful despicable Mod. Squidge and I have banged heads a couple of times but nothing we can't have a laugh about.

And I must have missed the bit in your previous post? So if your name gets included in the .OUGFC roster you'll of course refuse to serve due to not having any links to Caithness?

Elenna,
    Sorry for seeming to take this off topic, but I am still a member of these forums and as such I am entitled to post helpful suggestions here for consideration. I am merely challenging some posts which IMO will do this thread no good at all.
    Last edited by MadPict; 11-Dec-06 at 17:13.

I shouted because you don't, or don't want to understand. The wy the User Group is selected is VERY important if it is to be trusted by the members. In the current climate moderators and Admin or barely trusted at all, mainly due to recent events, but also due to the manner of their selection ie, behind closed doors with no input from the membership.
    If you want to avoid this situation arising again, then the selection has to be completely open and democratic.
    That is very relevant to this thread, and I see no reason to 'take it somewhere else'.
    Ok thats fair enough - in that context it appears fair comment.

Isn't that exactly what I said inmy post? Am I missing something here? Or is it just a case of you and Golach spoiling for another argument in the hopes of disrupting yet another thread?
    Th've gitten a point tho'!
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Thank you for that Elenna its good when someone takes the time to summarise and bring this thread together.
    I think everything is becoming a little clearer and hopefully we will have democratically elected moderators which is all we really want.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

I am not spoiling for anything, just curious why you of all people should suddenly become the spokesperson for Caithness.Org?
    I would consider a lot better suited .orgers than you to be the spokesperson for me, remember I have .orger rights too

And I must have missed the bit in your previous post? So if your name gets included in the .OUGFC roster you'll of course refuse to serve due to not having any links to Caithness?
    I do not wish to be part of the Users Group.

I am merely challenging some posts which IMO will do this thread no good at all.

Pot, kettle etc.

Oh for crying out loud! THAT IS NOT AN ACCUSATION!!! It is a statement of fact, there is a lot of bad feeling because the selection of moderators was not open and transparent. If the User Group is selected the same way then the same suspicions will eventually arise!

Is that so difficult to understand?

I think this is a bit different though.
    Everyone interested has put their name forward in this thread and will probably continue to do so tonight. I'm only going to pick 12 from those names, I shan't add any that haven't expressed an interest.
    Once we have the usergroup sorted we can then put the new mods to vote so that all forum members get to have a say.

So far the people shown an interest are:
    Mr PCannop, Gogglebox, Weeboyagee, Weeburd, Ricco, Peedie, Elenna, JamieS, Squidge, Crashbandicoot, Calish6 and I believe Changilass meant that she would be interested.
    Incidentally, I am neither related to or know personally any of these people.
    I'll update the list of interested parties soon so that everyone can see exactly who is up for it.

It's going to be extremely hard if not impossible to please everyone on this subject.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Elenna,
    Sorry for seeming to take this off topic, but I am still a member of these forums and as such I am entitled to post helpful suggestions here for consideration. I am merely challenging some posts which IMO will do this thread no good at all.
    Its ok, Mad Pict. I dont type very fast, and I think I began just after post #52, and I suspected there would be people saying things while I was tapping away at the keyboard.

And I agree...Mods are certainly entitled to express opinions and make suggestions. They are people who are members here, too.

But what about the Usergroup Committe, then, folks? Do we go with those who have said they are willing to try to help out with this, or do you want to take nominations and vote?

Erm...or should we have a poll on that? ...sorry, couldnt resist!

EDIT: Thanks Porshiepoo. And you know what I would do if there are more than 12 names? Put them on slips of paper, and get your hubby or one of your kids to pull 12 out of a bowl. It will then be a fairly random selection of those who have said they would like to be involved helping on theis.
    Last edited by Elenna; 11-Dec-06 at 17:30. Reason: Porshie got a post in before me
    The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea. ~Isak Dinesen

It must have been a terrible shock to find yourself nominated without any prior knowledge Porshie, I would have thought there would be nominations for the team leader as well

Now, now Dreadnought. You don't seem to like it when others have an op[inion that differs from your own. Yesterday you were saying that I was missing the point? I think I have the point well in view - just not getting all het up about it, that's all.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo View Post
    I think this is a bit different though.
    Everyone interested has put their name forward in this thread and will probably continue to do so tonight. I'm only going to pick 12 from those names, I shan't add any that haven't expressed an interest.
    Once we have the usergroup sorted we can then put the new mods to vote so that all forum members get to have a say.

So far the people shown an interest are:
    Mr PCannop, Gogglebox, Weeboyagee, Weeburd, Ricco, Peedie, Elenna, JamieS, Squidge, Crashbandicoot, Calish6 and I believe Changilass meant that she would be interested.
    Incidentally, I am neither related to or know personally any of these people.
    I'll update the list of interested parties soon so that everyone can see exactly who is up for it.

It's going to be extremely hard if not impossible to please everyone on this subject.
    No offence Porshiepoo, but in the light of recent events, and given that many of us now trust them as far as we could spit, do you think it is a good idea to have any moderators even remotely associated with the Users Group?

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast