Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: .Orger Usergroup for Change

This may not be the place to post this, but it is related, so....

I suggest that appointed Mods get two accounts. They keep their existing accounts to post as they normally would, but then have a seperate Mod account where they can post 'officially' as it were.

Part of the problem in the past was where Mod's were unable to wear two hats without letting personal feelings or opinions colour judgement. (thats my opinion anyway.)
    With the two accounts there can be no mistake of people being unsure of who was posting, the Moderator, or the user!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaishowing View Post
    This may not be the place to post this, but it is related, so....

I suggest that appointed Mods get two accounts. They keep their existing accounts to post as they normally would, but then have a seperate Mod account where they can post 'officially' as it were.
    Part of the problem in the past was where Mod's were unable to wear two hats without letting personal feelings or opinions colour judgement. (thats my opinion anyway.)
    With the two accounts there can be no mistake of people being unsure of who was posting, the Moderator, or the user!
    That may work until everybody works out who is who and what the alter ego is called. Then the Mod will be slated for having 2 hats. Maybe 1 moderator account that several peole can use to mod things. That way no one idividual mod can taken to task by the forum members. However the mod group must know who has done what so they can regulate themslves.

I'd like to put my name forward for the group but I also believe that a poll would be a better idea, then the orgers can vote for those that they trust the most. I also think that the mods real names should be available because its all too easy to hide behind a screen name at times.
    Last edited by crashbandicoot1979; 11-Dec-06 at 16:02. Reason: Spelling

With all respect Dreadnought,
    "May I suggest the User Group is comprised only of Caithnessians? The Org was set up to promote Caithness to the benefit of Caithness people, it is only right that people in Caithness make up the User Group."
    You are creating a clique - there never was one here despite peoples perceptions but now you wish to start one up? What is your definition of a Caithnessian? Do you fit the bill?

Naefear -
    "Maybe the mods should all have the same surname. Only apply if you are a Mackay. Ahh maybe not they will all be from Bettyhill "
    Hmm, this is supposed to be constructive suggestions for the way forward - if these same old accusations keep getting thrown into the mix we'll get nowhere.

Dreadnought -
    "...here can be no suspicion of nepotism or favouritism, such as there has been aired over the selection of the current crop of mods."
    Here we go again - allegations of conniving going on. For the record I am not related to anyone here by birth or marriage. Trawling this stuff up again is not helpful.

Kaishowing - while the two hats idea seems good I don't think it would help. The lines between the two ater egos would blur and could cause friction. A Mod is a Mod - IIRC I did suggest such a thing way back before the current Mods were selected - Anonymous "Moderator" accounts which the selected members would use. I think it was turned down.

crashbandicoot1979
    The current username situation is fine IMO - when you are asked to serve in whatever way (.OUGFC or Mod) your true identity is submitted to the Admins - there is no need to reveal who you really are to the forum in general if you don't wish to. My real name is known to those who need to know. Are Mods Orgers first or Mods first? If they are Orgers then they have the same right as you to be known by a nickname. I support the right to retaining a modicum of annonimity.
    Last edited by MadPict; 11-Dec-06 at 16:13.

See the thing is that some of the nasty emails and PMs that come the way of the mods would make me nervous about showing my real name to just anyone. I know that you all havent seen some of the worst stuff that colin and niall have had ... and others but it can be really unpleasant. its fine for people to threaten to batter "squidge" but i would be slightly alarmed if my identity was available to anyone who could read it. You are assuming that everyone is nice and reasonable but it appears that they arent. If i get to be involved with this group then im happy to share my identity with the group and if anyone else wants to know or meet for coffee then im happy for that too but to just flash my name to everyone then no thanks

Edit

Although thinking about it - i share my house with The Bruce, a war hammer, a battle axe and a hand and a half sword - i'd probably be quite safe
    Last edited by squidge; 11-Dec-06 at 16:16.

Well theres 11 or so up for it so far - come on guys!

I'm a little concerned that this is going to turn into months of voting for everything. lol. Voting for whether we vote for usergroup members then actually voting for the usergroup members then voting for mods etc etc

Personally, voting for the usergroup members concerns me a little but only because I know alot of people on here are related and / or very friendly in everyday life and I'm not so sure that it could be done fairly.
    I would worry that this could cause as much concern about the fairness of it as me picking 12 people would.
    Remember I would only be picking 12 members for the usergroup, we would then put the mods up for a forum vote.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Naefearjustbeer View Post
    That may work until everybody works out who is who and what the alter ego is called. Then the Mod will be slated for having 2 hats. Maybe 1 moderator account that several peole can use to mod things. That way no one idividual mod can taken to task by the forum members. However the mod group must know who has done what so they can regulate themslves.
    LOL I wasn't suggesting it was to be secret....just to make things easier for people to keep attitudes seperate. Also for those needing moderation, it'll be far less confusing than being told to 'calm down' by someone who may not have posted in such an acceptable way themselves in the past from a certain point of view.
    Impartiality is the key. It must be 100% even-handed, and that's impossible with someone who's got a history here.
    Even if that history is seen to be pure as the driven snow, some will think that means they're too 'wishy-washy' and test limits which will lead to confrontation..The last thing this place needs for the forseeable future!
    All round it would make things easier for the Moderator's themselves, and the Users in general.
    A single account may work the same way, just as long as other Mod's could keep track of whom said what!
    Last edited by Kaishowing; 11-Dec-06 at 16:21. Reason: (sp)

MadPict,

Fair point, I'll admit I was only looking at it from the point of view of an orger and not as a mod. Although I agree that Admin should know the mods real names.

I am more than happy to help out in any way I can, I can't wait to see the new improved forum where we can all get back to posting happily.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Naefear -
    Quote:
    "Maybe the mods should all have the same surname. Only apply if you are a Mackay. Ahh maybe not they will all be from Bettyhill "

Quote Originally Posted by MadPict View Post
    Naefear -
    Hmm, this is supposed to be constructive suggestions for the way forward - if these same old accusations keep getting thrown into the mix we'll get nowhere.
    It was a joke I didnt know it resembled any old accusations. Mackay and Bettyhill was a random choice. I do not know many of the mods and wouldnt know if there were all Mackays or any other surname for that matter.
    MAybe the mods should be called Mod1 Mod2 Mod3 etc. If we the members are allowed to vote for mods then we would obviosly have to know your present forum name but once voted in the moderators group could asign who is mod 123 etc so only the mods know who is who. If a forum member has a concern to raise about a mod eg then he/she can raise it against mod3 then the mod team can discuss amongst themselves and give a verdict. This way the mods remain annonymouse as you will still have your old username to put your public opinion hat on with.

kaishowing,
    Accountability seems to be part of this new drive - having one Mod account accessed by all blurs that principle.

"OK who posted blah blah blah using the Mod account?"

"Not me"
    "Nor me"
    "Weren't me either"

Someone in another thread, mentioned that they run a forum where their Mods are not allowed to partake in any conversation. Wow they must be very frustrated forum members!

I'm sure if that is what is wanted, a bot plugin can be devised - I know someone who can make vB do practically anything...

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    I am more than happy to help out in any way I can, I can't wait to see the new improved forum where we can all get back to posting happily.
    do you honestly believe that a usergroup will bring back a new improved forum? personally i think not, it's just going to lead to more bickering but then again what do i know

Nae worries Naefear - it has been used in criticism of the Mods before now.

I think you'd very soon figure out which Mod was who - unless the Mods forum names are kept secret

With respect Mad Pict, my post was not an allegation. It was a statement of fact, many people do not believe the selection of the current moderators was fair or well thought out. This has given rise to much suspicion and distrust.

An open nomination system, followed by a poll carried out by all the members of this forum will kill any suspicions stone dead.

Colin and Porshiepoo,

I don't read a lot of opposition to the idea of a usergroup being formed initially from volunteers. A more formal structure, if it appears to be needed, can be designed and proposed to the membership at large from this usergroup. This is an internet site so I would assume that the meetings would be held on the internet and therefore location doesn't matter. It would mean that weeboyagee could be present from wherever his work and vacation take him.

So, to get things started I would nominate to form the first usergroup all those members who have volunteered through the posts on this thread.

I would assume that the present moderator system would stay in place until a new system can be proposed and implemented.

As to the use of names, I agree with all the arguments put forward for not exposing the true identity of anyone to the public through the forum. However, as MadPict clarified, all names are known to the administration.

kaishowing,
    Accountability seems to be part of this new drive - having one Mod account accessed by all blurs that principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaishowing View Post
    ....A single account may work the same way, just as long as other Mod's could keep track of whom said what!
    I'm sure if that is what is wanted, a bot plugin can be devised - I know someone who can make vB do practically anything...
    Save us from more plug-ins!!! LOL Thats not a particularly reassuring comment!

I dont think that there is any point in reiterating this accusation here Dreadnought. This thread is to try to decide a way forward - the voting for mods is something for the user group to take forward and if you are part of it you will be involved in making that hapopen but for now and for this thread can we not throw up old accusations and allegations and innuendo

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    With respect Mad Pict, my post was not an allegation. It was a statement of fact, many people do not believe the selection of the current moderators was fair or well thought out. This has given rise to much suspicion and distrust.

An open nomination system, followed by a poll carried out by all the members of this forum will kill any suspicions stone dead.

Oh for crying out loud! THAT IS NOT AN ACCUSATION!!! It is a statement of fact, there is a lot of bad feeling because the selection of moderators was not open and transparent. If the User Group is selected the same way then the same suspicions will eventually arise!

Is that so difficult to understand?

Ps, This is a thread about the selection of a Users Group, for User by Users. Why are these Mods here telling us what should and shouldn't be?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    Oh for crying out loud! THAT IS NOT AN ACCUSATION!!! It is a statement of fact, there is a lot of bad feeling because the selection of moderators was not open and transparent. If the User Group is selected the same way then the same suspicions will eventually arise!

Is that so difficult to understand?

Hey..... dont shout at me!!!! i wasnt telling you not to discuss it - just to take it somewhere else. This thread is about other things I didnt think it was helpful thats all. There was no need to be so shirty I may be a mod but im allowed a flipping opinion too

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast