Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: .Orger Usergroup for Change

Default my tuppence worth

As an ex paranoid lurker may I congratulate the people who have explained and apologised their actions.
    I would like to think that like most the support to continue should be seen as a show of appreciation of what has been achieved to date, and the positive willingness to continue and improve a sign that the heart of the org is strong.
    Now the mouth (message boards) and the brain (Admin/mods) looks like being synchronised and strengthen the org on the www as a community of Caithness.
    My own interest on the org and the net is family history and, truly, the first indication I had of anything was en email from one of the users on a mailing list asking “what’s happening on that site you recommended? I have forwarded the org as a site to many such lists, I will now reply to have a look again.
    May I humbly suggest the following points, yes to using proper names as it is easier asking “Joe Blogs” than say “Mr. floppityflop” (apologies if name is in use) about OPR in the genealogy section? Better saying “thanks Joe than thanks Floppity!
    The sections seem to be just a few, which are hobbies/interests (gardening, literature, music, technical support etc.) and e-crack (general, recommendations, births/deaths for sale, wanted etc.
    I would also support and meant meaningfully in my last post the following
    Moderators oversee specific forums. They generally have the ability to edit and delete posts, move threads, and perform other manipulations. Becoming a moderator for a specific forum is usually rewarded to users who are particularly helpful and knowledgeable in the subject of the forum they are moderating.
    Finally could I suggest a privacy statement/policy put in place and easy contact to the brain?
    Davie MacLeod
    Being kind is more important than being right.

First names would be good for the Mods if that is what is so desired, however people may have good reasons for not wishing to use their surnames on-line . Personally, I have no issues with the current usernames though, I'm quite attached to WeeBurd!

I too would be willing to through my hat into the ring - I have plenty of spare time, and would love to see the Forums return to the lively, involved place it was when I first began posting.
    Last edited by WeeBurd; 11-Dec-06 at 12:29. Reason: Added some more
    WeeBurd.

Wink

i'd like to join the group please, been a lurker longer than a poster so not sure bout the mod thing but i do have a lot of free time and skin as thick as a rhinos
    I'm here for a good time, not a long time!

Wouldn't nominations be better than volunteers? And once you have say twenty names, have a poll and the ten most popular join the user group.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    Wouldn't nominations be better than volunteers? And once you have say twenty names, have a poll and the ten most popular join the user group.
    actually i think you're right, everybody will have a good idea of who is good for the job. i'm for that idea!

Much better idea Dreadnought ! jan x
    computer says no ........

You seem to have three different points of consideration running here, with input requested, and suggestions being made for each.

1. Volunteers for your committee to consider new rules and standards for the forum.

I would like to join this. I have some experience (about 3 1/2 years) in creating and running a fanfictions forum-site, and I think I could make a few helpful contributions.

2. People who are interested in running as Forum-elected Moderators.

I am not so certain at the moment if I would be able to do this.

3. The issue of using ones real name online.

I have never had any problem with local people (or anyone in this online community) knowing who I am. In fact, quite a few of those I have met in person know who "Elenna" is (it is actually a nickname I have in person, anyway, and people call me that in real life), and I have posted many references to my job, family, etc, which likely would give a lot of folks clear clues to my real identity.

However, for personal reasons of my own, I would feel uncomfortable for my actual name to be revealed for all the world to see. Would there possibly be a kind of middle ground able to be set up around the idea...ie, that members could access name and contact details without it just being "out there" available to casual visitors? Having said that, yes, I understrand someone who could be "looking to cause trouble" might join and prey upon the information, but hopefully that would be a rare, or at least less likely, occurrance.

I think that is all. Have I missed out anything?
    The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea. ~Isak Dinesen

I've had a few people contact expressing a concern about using proper names for various reasons and I personally think we have to respect that.
    I myself have quite a distinctive surname and don't think I'd be entirely comfortable with it being out there.
    Someone has already suggested mabe just using first names or to get around the obvious problems this could cause perhaps the girlies could use maiden names.
    Obviously this solution wouldn't help the males that want to join in or the unmarried females but I'm open to suggestions?

As far as nominations go, I've had messages and emails from people supporting a poll but mainly from people opposing it, obviously though theres alot more people to add their opinions before we can decide anything.
    The main reason for opposing a poll seems to be the concern that people will just vote for friends and family (and we all know what trouble that idea can cause) and that we'll be no better off than we are now.

So far I think theres approximately 7 of us having shown an interest so we need lots more sacrifices......Oops sorry volunteers!

Just adding on:

How about to get this thing rolling quickly, once we have enough volunteers I just pick 12 (seems like a decent number Colin) to start up the forum usergroup, once we have that ball rolling we then start taking nominations for moderators that can then be voted for by all of us?
    Last edited by porshiepoo; 11-Dec-06 at 13:28.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

I don't see a problem with using just your first name but not your surnames because as you say many people have distinct surnames.

They will have to volunteer tho not just be voted in as it is there time they are committing to it - we can't just vote for someone who dosen't want to be thrown in at the deep end.

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo View Post
    Just adding on:

How about to get this thing rolling quickly, once we have enough volunteers I just pick 12 (seems like a decent number Colin) to start up the forum usergroup, once we have that ball rolling we then start taking nominations for moderators that can then be voted for by all of us?
    Sounds like a sensible idea porshie
    Last edited by Piglet; 11-Dec-06 at 13:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
    I don't see a problem with using just your first name but not your surnames because as you say many people have distinct surnames.

They will have to volunteer tho not just be voted in as it is there time they are committing to it - we can't just vote for someone who dosen't want to be thrown in at the deep end.

Sounds like a sensible idea porshie
    Maybe the mods should all have the same surname. Only apply if you are a Mackay. Ahh maybe not they will all be from Bettyhill

<snip>

So far I think theres approximately 7 of us having shown an interest so we need lots more sacrifices......Oops sorry volunteers!

Just adding on:

That seems reasonable to me.

PS I really do not like my first name, which is why people call me Elenna. Can't I just stick with that...pleeeeease??
    The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea. ~Isak Dinesen

Thumbs up

sounds like a good plan

Hope the current moderators are not holding back putting themselves forward for the user group because of recent events.

Their opinions and experiences will be very important in shaping things

They may be moderators but they are still orgers and their opinion is important. Its a way foward that is being sought not a revolution.

Dont throw the baby out with the bathwater!! - - what a daft saying!!

Smile

Hi Porshiepoo,
    I wouldn’t mind being a volunteer, I am on most nights reading the forums anyway, so might as well do something constructive with my time.

Jamie

The reason I suggested nominations and then a poll is that if the selection is completely open and democratic there can be no suspicion of nepotism or favouritism, such as there has been aired over the selection of the current crop of mods.

krieve Guest

I agree with dreadnought, seems the only way.

May I suggest the User Group is comprised only of Caithnessians? The Org was set up to promote Caithness to the benefit of Caithness people, it is only right that people in Caithness make up the User Group.
    So many people who are not in Caithness participate validly in this forum. Or maybe you were speaking about Caithnessians per se ( ie: excluding "incomers"?- how I hate this word!). Either way, many people not originally from caithness or who are living outside of Caithness are very important to keeping the type of forum that has kept me coming back here regularly in the 2 years I have been here.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing

The reason I suggested nominations and then a poll is that if the selection is completely open and democratic there can be no suspicion of nepotism or favouritism, such as there has been aired over the selection of the current crop of mods.
    here here,in my humble opinion this is the only fair way to do it,it just coundn't be fair to hand pick another group

Thrumster - next to the best pub in the world "The Old Smiddy Inn"

Default Changes to the org forum

OK, then. Sort this one. Most people know my real name and who I am so I have nothing to hide on here - more's the pity

Quite a lot of you know that there is more than one of me with the exact same first name and surname living in the same village, both with Gaelic names to our houses. The other one of me (not giving away my name cause it's his too!) has had enough hassle having phone calls to sing at ceilidhs, do work for the BBC, or general chat in Gaelic to last him a life time I dare say - including the amount of mail he has received over the years by mistake. The thought of having to recognise us by our first and/or second names would freak him out poor soul at being accused of "saying" things on the org that are not from him

I don't see why we can't continue with our org names - I don't care if I am referred to as weeboyagee. Those who know me in public probably know my org name as well. Also, it is a very unique and distinct sign of affilliation with this site - someone says to me "Do you know Rheghead?" I immediately connect with the org. Someone says to me "Do you know "Rheghead's real name"?" I immediately flick through all the people I know by that name (OK, there may not be a lot of them but you get my meaning!)

I also think that the users group should have an outside input. Don't limit it to Caithness people - my family and many generations before are from Caithness and although I wasn't born here I have lived here most of my life. The people outside Caithness and indeed outside Scotland and the UK are invaluable in their input and often manage to help "steer" the forum. It is purely for this reason that I would welcome their input.
    Last edited by weeboyagee; 11-Dec-06 at 16:49.

OK im dipping my toe into this - I am interested in becoming part of this group. I try to say what i think and try to be objective and fair in whatever i post and in the actions i take but i dont want to be subjected to snide remarks and nasty digs and unpleasant innuendo. I will share my real name with anyone who PMs me but its not for posting on the Forum at large - you never know who is watching .

I love this site and i have been around it for a fair few years. Id be happy to see it becoming a better site for us users
    Last edited by squidge; 11-Dec-06 at 15:35.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast