Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: New novel Janus Spring on Kindle

Default New novel Janus Spring on Kindle

Just to let you know my friend's frist novel 'Janus Spring' is now available on Kindle. It's about a journalist who finds complicity between the US and UK governments in 2001 and when he is accused of murder 5 years later he fights to clear his name and bring those responsible for 9/11 to account. It's quite a read! Everytime I ended a chapter I was thinking 'Come on eyes stay open a bit longer so I can read another one.' It really is a great story.

Oh and should have said it is by Valerie Campbell who wrote Camp 165 Watten and The Caithness Influence. She is busy writing a sequel and I am so looking forward to that!

I hope it's better than her Caithness Influence book, which showed poor taste in deifying mediocre present-day Caithnessians. I'm glad I only borrowed it, because I would have hated to pay a penny for its sycophancy. I found this sad, because her Watten book was really good.

If the new book is a 9/11 conspiracy theory, I expect it will appeal to a lot of forum members!
    Last edited by secrets in symmetry; 30-Sep-12 at 19:59. Reason: Rewordies

Quote Originally Posted by secrets in symmetry View Post
    I hope it's better than her Caithness Influence book, which showed poor taste in deifying mediocre present-day Caithnessians. I'm glad I only borrowed it, because I would have hated to pay a penny for its sycophancy. I found this sad, because her Watten book was really good.

If the new book is a 9/11 conspiracy theory, I expect it will appeal to a lot of forum members!
    It's such a pity you could not see past them to enjoy the rest of it. Personally I preferred the historical biographies, especially Henry Rhind, and Anstruther Davidson who I had never heard of. I know she has another biographical book about northern Scots sitting on her computer so any suggestions as to who you would like to see in it I could pass on. No guarantees though!

I thought the biographies in her Caithness Influence book were mostly dull and shallow, and many were sycophantic in my opinion. I felt like I was like reading an annotated list - a book of bullet points if you like. The Watten book was more coherent and told a story.

No sure how she could flatter the dead folk in it. Besides Watten was a totally different kind of book. From what you have said it is exactly how she wanted it to be. The working title was Dictionary of Caithness Folk (or something like that) so people could dip in and dip out again. She wanted to add more people like Finlaison, Gow, Oswald etc and write less about them, just give a brief overview, like a dictionary, but she told me that was not what the publishers wanted. I am really pleased. Thanks for your feedback and I will pass it on.

Lol! Does that mean she was one step ahead of her publisher all along?