Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Rooftop Aurora

1. Default Rooftop Aurora

This was taken about midnight on Monday night.I couldnt be bothered going out to a decent location.My son Lyle was rushed to Raigmore
    on Friday night with Guillain Barre syndrome,a rather nasty virus,rare,only 50 cases a year in Scotland, that tries to shut down the nervous system.Lyle had lost control of his legs
    and if it gets to your breathing it can get very serious indeed,life support machines required.
    He's home now and fine but after all that i just didnt have the get up and go to be bothered.

Anyway,this was taken from my garden and goes to show that despite the light pollution the aurora are easily seen from the town.The rays were very bright,
    you couldnt miss them.

Last edited by Mystical Potato Head; 06-Sep-12 at 21:48.

Cracking pic and glad to hear you son is better.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

3. Default

Thanks very much,he was up playing his guitar till after midnight so thats a sure sign he's
    recovering fast.

You must be so relieved, don't even want to try to imagine what you must have gone through.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

5. Default

Very relieved,his legs had got worse over about 5 days,he was cracking jokes about Daniel Day Lewis and his left foot because at the time his left leg was almost useless and none of us realised how serious his condition could become.
    Doctor or should i say 2 doctors thought it was a trapped or pinched nerve because he did have a bad muscle spasm in his back at the same time and they thought or suspected that was the reason his walking was wobbly.Over the next day or so it got worse.We took him to Wick on Thursday night because Lyle wasnt joking about it anymore and his right leg was now worse than his useless left one.Could barely walk.Kept losing his balance and staggering all over the place like he was drunk.
    Cut a long story short and he was rushed down to Raigmore on Friday,the consultant was concerned that it would spread up his legs and start attacking his breathing,luckily it didnt,either because it was a mild case of the virus or his immune system was strong enough to repel the virus to a degree.
    Last edited by Mystical Potato Head; 06-Sep-12 at 21:47.

Really glad that Lyle is making such a great recovery! What a horrible, frightening time for you all.

Well done on getting such a great aurora shot despite not being out and about.
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

hope lyall gets better soon
    "Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy."

8. Default

Thanks Liz,bcsman.
    He's fit enough to go to Uni,a week late but at least he's able to go now.

Nice shot MPH, sorry to hear about your son health trouble and good to hear he's better now.
    Regards
    Maciek

10. Default

Yes he's much better now and we're away to Edinburgh tomorrow to get him set up in his flat.