Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wettest summer in 100 years proves climate change once and for all!

Default Wettest summer in 100 years proves climate change once and for all!

Summer 'wettest in 100 years', Met Office figures show

This summer is set to be the second wettest in the UK since records began - and the wettest summer in 100 years - provisional Met Office figures suggest.

The wettest summer - defined as June, July and August - since national records began was in 1912.

Figures up until 29 August show that 366.8 mm of rain fell across the UK this summer, compared with 384.4 mm rainfall in 1912.

The April to June period was also the wettest recorded in the UK.

The figures are provisional as there are still two days remaining in August, but the BBC Weather Centre said the rainfall was not expected to exceed the total amount in 1912. Records began in 1910.
    Summer is 'wettest in 100 years'

This proves beyond doubt that the climate is changing!

Well, no.... It proves that this was the second wettest summer since records began - assuming the average rainfall figures are indeed correct.

Cool.
    Last edited by secrets in symmetry; 31-Aug-12 at 00:03. Reason: missing word

It only proves that wellies should have been bought before now!
    The weather and weather predictions havent had enough scientific data to record what the max / min rainfall nevermind the actual weather for the month or year or day.....day to day...

If it proves climate change, then why was it so wet 100 yrs ago?

All it proves is that Mother Nature can do as she pleases.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

And just what explains welly rash/burns on small people / kids and the fact there is a puddle therefore it has to be jumped in until there is no puddle left!
    And snow angels......
    And why it took so long to get rubber boots for such adventures...as well as heated gloves.....with or without batteries!

Forgive if i'm wrong but out here in Kirtomy the summer seems to have been average or below normal rain fall. It's been a wee bit cold but not wet.
    sometimes the devil needs an advocate

Cold? There was a frost this morning - it had largely gone by seven except for the roof of the car but it was 3.5 degrees when I left

I blame incomers, and the SNP

You're right to blame incomers. In the soft South, temperatures are considerably warmer than here in Scotland. When an Incomer family of four breezes in from Stoke Poges, the ambient temperature increase they bring with them is .0000004 of a degree. It may not seem a lot, but once you get 200,000,000 Southerners all clamouring to live in Caithness, you sure will feel the difference. The SNP has plans, on achieving Independence, of hosing down all Incomers with glycol to reduce their "IET"s (Initial Entry Temperatures). This process will be certificated, and carried with their Alien Cards, unless they are lucky enough to marry a Local, when they may apply for a Scottish Passport (Cead-siubhail Rioghachd Aonaichte Bhreatainn is Eireann a Tuath) after 50 years residence.

Quote Originally Posted by pmcd View Post
    You're right to blame incomers. In the soft South, temperatures are considerably warmer than here in Scotland. When an Incomer family of four breezes in from Stoke Poges, the ambient temperature increase they bring with them is .0000004 of a degree. It may not seem a lot, but once you get 200,000,000 Southerners all clamouring to live in Caithness, you sure will feel the difference. The SNP has plans, on achieving Independence, of hosing down all Incomers with glycol to reduce their "IET"s (Initial Entry Temperatures). This process will be certificated, and carried with their Alien Cards, unless they are lucky enough to marry a Local, when they may apply for a Scottish Passport (Cead-siubhail Rioghachd Aonaichte Bhreatainn is Eireann a Tuath) after 50 years residence.
    Will there be any plans for retrospective hosing down of existing resident incomers do you think?

As an incomer myself i feel it's a wee bit harsh to blame me. However i would blame the org as the amount of hot air and hot heads on here is enough to warm the Arctic
    sometimes the devil needs an advocate

The global temperatures have been on an upward trend so presumably it takes extra heat to evaporate all the extra water to make the rain in the first place?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Coincidentally, I had a visit from one of the top climate scientists in the country (and perhaps the world) today.

He said he had some ideas why this summer has been so wet, but he didn't seem very confident about his reasons - and he didn't share them with me.

Quote Originally Posted by pmcd View Post
    you're right to blame incomers. In the soft south, temperatures are considerably warmer than here in scotland. When an incomer family of four breezes in from stoke poges, the ambient temperature increase they bring with them is .0000004 of a degree. It may not seem a lot, but once you get 200,000,000 southerners all clamouring to live in caithness, you sure will feel the difference. The snp has plans, on achieving independence, of hosing down all incomers with glycol to reduce their "iet"s (initial entry temperatures). This process will be certificated, and carried with their alien cards, unless they are lucky enough to marry a local, when they may apply for a scottish passport (cead-siubhail rioghachd aonaichte bhreatainn is eireann a tuath) after 50 years residence.
    BIGOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    At least we'll spread the genes about a wee bit.
    Last edited by 2little2late; 01-Sep-12 at 01:07.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    If it proves climate change, then why was it so wet 100 yrs ago?

All it proves is that Mother Nature can do as she pleases.
    It also proves weather is cyclic.

I actually think that I must be to blame a bit - I have been hot under the collar the last wee while so a hosing down might be ...er.... fun?

I also blame Secrets in Symmetry because of all the hot air they spout. Secrets is a bit like a patio heater - just a waste of hot air....

Rheghead and Rob too they have been talking about air - well wind - the last couple of days -not sure if its hot or not though.

Bill is right though - its probably this board which is to blame actually all the friction here must cause quite a bit of hot air.....

Quote Originally Posted by oldmarine View Post
    It also proves weather is cyclic.
    The vast majority of climate scientists that agree that greenhouse gases are mostly responsible for climate change do actually say that there are very strong cyclical elements to Global climate.

Just because the climate is cyclical in nature, the present naturally warming phase doesn't explain why the climate is visciously out of control.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    The vast majority of climate scientists that agree that greenhouse gases are mostly responsible for climate change do actually say that there are very strong cyclical elements to Global climate.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Just because the climate is cyclical in nature, the present naturally warming phase doesn't explain why the climate is visciously out of control.
    Visciously? Have you invented a new word (which I like), or did you mean viciously? Or perhaps even viscously lol?

BTW the "top" climate scientist's first comment was that he'd like to see the uncertainty in the rainfall data. We both suspect that the data isn't accurate enough to distinguish the wettest year from the second wettest year.

Data without error estimates isn't a lot of use.

Summer 1985 was far wetter.Didnt make hay that year just baled mud.

Quote Originally Posted by iain View Post
    Summer 1985 was far wetter.Didnt make hay that year just baled mud.
    It may have been wetter where you were, and it was pretty wet where I was, but it wasn't wetter over the UK as a whole.

I realise the OP and most replies are tongue in cheek.

But,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQlHaGhYoF0

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast