Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: What is the SNP?

YouGov interviewed over 1000 Scottish adults across Scotland after the SNP's annual conference in Perth, but before this week's controversy over whether an independent Scotland would be in the EU which led to First Minister Alex Salmond being accused of ''lying''.

Nationally, 55% said ''No'' to the question ''Do you agree that Scotland should be an independent country?'', with 29% saying ''Yes'' and 14% undecided. The regional breakdown shows marginally greater support for independence in Tayside and Fife at 32% but still with a clear majority — 55% — against.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I don't know, what do the splits mean?

More interesting developments on nuclear weapons: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-20075674

It appears to be thinned out even more, possibly.
    What they could do is sail away with the Subs and instead of spending all that time and money decomissioning the base, just leave a trident behind on a timer.

Fred! FRED!

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    YouGov interviewed over 1000 Scottish adults across Scotland after the SNP's annual conference in Perth, but before this week's controversy over whether an independent Scotland would be in the EU which led to First Minister Alex Salmond being accused of ''lying''.

Nationally, 55% said ''No'' to the question ''Do you agree that Scotland should be an independent country?'', with 29% saying ''Yes'' and 14% undecided. The regional breakdown shows marginally greater support for independence in Tayside and Fife at 32% but still with a clear majority — 55% — against.
    I'm not going to go into the accuracy of Polls...but wasn't it YouGov who had Labour winning the 2011 election? Their figures...Constituency: CON 15%, LAB 41%, LDEM 8%, SNP 32% Regional: CON 15%, LAB 40%, LDEM 7%, SNP 26%, GRN 6%. Actual results according to BBC results site, and assuming others to be mostly Greens (see...I can do assuming just as easily as polling "experts" do).......Constituency: CON 13.9%, LAB 31.7%, LDEM 7.9%, SNP 45.4% Regional: CON 12.4%, LAB 26.3%, LDEM 5.2%, SNP 44%, GRN 12.1%

I'm more interested in the fact, if the poll is correct, that after 305 years "reaping the benefits of the Union" only 55-57% of Scots actually like being involved in it, and want to continue that involvement, and another 14% or so would happily get out of it if they could be convinced we'd at least be no worse off than we are now, so that is 43-45% of Scots who don't like the way the Union is going, some definitely and some still fence sitting, but who are as yet too feart to let go of the UK security blanket...and that is two years ahead of any vote with two years of UK "we are mostly all in it together, unless you are a pensioner, big business or rich, when you are protected because you provide votes..or money we can use for propaganda to convince the sheeple that we know best". Not what anyone would consider a ringing endorsement of Governance of Scotland by the UK is it? Really? Though, to be fair, it might be if democracy in the UK actually existed (FPTP isn't democracy...it is a tacit acknowledgment that a minority of voters will elect Governments.....which is only democracy in the minds of those who like the system (as in UK elected politicians.)

Admittedly there is a lot of self interest in poll results, as you'd expect when polling individuals, they will tend to go for the option which will hopefully improve their lives in the short term, or at least not worsen them....do you know turkeys who would vote for Christmas, because I don't, bar maybe me? I'm inclined to think that the likes of people who worry about stuff like how they are going to get their pensions and perks in an Independent Scotland are only worrying about themselves, and intent on holding on to their current lifestyles right now, and not considering the future of their children/grandchildren/great grandchildren living their lives in a region of the UK North of Watford, which is not worth bothering about in a London-centric Government mindset.

Personally, as a pensioner...I'd be completely removing our vote in favour of the 16+ one.....because our lives, even if we actually still have a reasonably long term one, (unlikely given the UK Government's attack on the NHS and welfare benefits etc,) our lives are still drawing to an inevitable close long before the end of the world as we know it, like it or lump it...and the lives of the 16+ year olds as adults are just starting and they have decades more than we have to live in Scotland...so why do we think we have the right to choose their lives for them? What right do we old folks, approaching the end of our lives, have to insist, because there is still a lot of us brought up in the "we worked, the Government wasn't arsed to put aside the NI we contributed to meet our pensions (because they were economically incompetent then and nothing has changed since), so now everybody else has to work to pay our pensions now..BECAUSE WE ARE FECKING ENTITLED!"...while those working now have to pay not only for our pensions, they have to make provision for their own pensions in the future.

Where is the fairness and equity in that in that? Really?

55% for the Union is a lot better than 29% against IMHO

Last edited by golach; 30-Oct-12 at 00:01.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415