Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Women for Independence

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Maverick, good conspiracy theories ! as you say game on
    As they say Rob, time will tell....

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    I am the first to admit that I dont understand the economic argument - in fact i say it here again and again. There is argument and counter argument about what is and isnt possible in an economic Scotland. However there is one truth amongst all the flannery and flummery and that is that when you get down to it, in an Independent Scotland the money raised in Scotland will be spent in Scotland on priorities decided by the Scottish people through using their vote.

We vote for a government based on what is in their manifesto and we decide. Currently within the Union The Scottish electorate votes for a westminster government which allocates money to Scotland based on their own priorities. These may include NHS reforms, welfare reforms. Increasing tuition fees, A replacement for Trident, a new rail link to Birmingham, elite sportsmen and women amongst other things.

Scottish prioities may not include any or all of those. In addition, areas where the Scottish government - and I am talking future scottish governements not necessarily the SNP - may wish to prioritise a Scottish National Health service, Dualling the A9, tax reforms, Innovation in welfare, growth and job creation, free higher education and a revamp of the social care system. Because the current set up allows Westminster to base the amount on their own priorities, it ties the hands of any Scottish government to address its own priorities as fully as it could do if it was the government of an Independent Scotland. for me the important thing about the Economics of an independent Scotland is that we will have full control of our budgets, our priorities and our policies.

Now to oil and renewables, Politicians and the media tell us all the time that oil will run out and I am sure that it will but industry and technology do not stand still. the industrial landscape is not static it changes and grows. Even left to its own devices it does that with a programme of scientific development and industrial growth - better lending and support of new innovative businesses then we can change and grow so that by the time the oil runs out Scotland no longer needs oil. Now that maybe renewables or it maybe other things. I dont beleive we can be the Saudi Arabia of renewables but neither do I beleive that the oil will run out the day after Scotland gains Independence.

As for welfare, millions and millions of pounds are being wasted on the welfare reforms which the government is driving through just now. There is no innovation, there is no desire to support or assist the unemployed, the sick or the disabled. The UK government fiddles around the edges and ends up paying over £100 million to ATOS to deliver fitness to work interviews and because they make such a hash of it they then have to pay £48 million for the appeals procedures. Not satisfied with this they then give the SAME company another contract to deliver welfare reductions. As for help for unemployed people this and previous governments put the responsibilty for help to private companies whose main aim is to make a profit. the chief Executive of one of these companies recently gave herself a £9 million bonus, whilst some of her companies were being investigated for fraud. £9 million pounds from the profits made off placing unemployed people into work - £9 million!!!! and the government spends all its time and energy persuading us that those on welfare are the scoundrels, the skivers and the dishonest ones. So much so that in a recent survey, 70% of people thought that the vast majority of people on benefits were getting more than they were entitled to through either fraud or lying about their situation or illness. They thought that 55% of claimants were doing this when in actual fact the figure is 3%.

Child poverty - this government commissioned Frank Field to complete a report on Poverty and life chances which he did and which makes interesting reading. They then completely ignored its recommendations and have done nothing to tackle the poverty which is strangling the aspirations of many children.

What I see when I look at the Westminster style of politics, of governance is a government which cares little for "society" as a whole. Accross both parties - Labour and tory and as for the Lib Dems they have lost all credibillity. I see absolutely no impetus to change society to make it better - how can there be impetus, those in the positions of power have utterly no idea of the degradation and difficulties people on benefits for example, might feel. IT is like a book in a foreign language to them. They can look and have an attempt at uttering the right words but they have no idea what those words really mean.

So what will a YES vote in the referendum mean for me.... Well it will mean that we have the opportunity to begin a process which will hopefully lead to a better society and some of the issues and dreams I and many others have being addressed.

Did you read that - The opportunity to begin..... The referendum is about democracy.... it is about having the democratic right to vote for an Independent Scotland and FROM then to have the right to vote for a Scottish Government that implements policies which will benefit Scotland. The polices themselves will be for the election in 2016.

I belevie from the research that I have done that there will be a change in the political landscape of Scotland if a YES vote is secured. The parties will have to change or become irrelevant... Tory and Labour parties will have to develop policies for an Independent Scotland - something they are refusing to do just now and who can blame them. Scottish MPs in Westminster will lose their seats ( might account for the behaviour of the scottish Affairs committee a little if you remember that all those Mps on that committee will be out of a job if there is a YES vote.) and some of them may head north to seek to influence society in an Independent Scotland by standing for other parties - I would welcome that. The SNP themselves would, according to many commentators, splinter and new parties like the Scottish Democratic Alliance will emerge with their policies and priorities to add to the debate.

This creates massive opportunity to be a force for good - not for the SNP - I have no idea who will lead a Government in and Independent Scotland. Alex salmond it may be but it may just as easily not be the SNP. This possibility to redefine Scotland and its government is a huge opportunity not to be missed. That is why I will vote YES. not because i love my husband; not because I hate english people; not because I am some stupid wee girl being conned by Alex salmond and his charms(?!) but because I beleive that an Independent Scotland gives us possibilities not available to us as part of the union. i have yet to see an argument that the same or better opportunity for change is available within the union.

Rob, you may not agree, You may shake your head and complain that i am a dreamer and vapid and lacking in intellect but i have put as much effort into making my decision over the last many years as you have in making yours. Over the next 2 years I will campaign for Independence.... not for the SNP as much as many unionist supprters would have us beleive its the same thing - it isnt. I will do that because I BELIEVE in the power of the Scottish Electorate to elect a parliament which is about people and their lives. Improvements and changes wont happen at once, they wont be implemented immediately and we might have to tighten our belts and pay a bit more in tax but actually I dont mind that.... Its beginning the process that is important ... creating the opportunity and working in whatever small way I can to create the opportunity for change and help people live better lives in a society that actually wants the best for all its citizens
    Way too much there to reply to but one point shouts to me. Why is it the Government's job to change society?

Surely society evolves, anything else is interference and very, very dangerous. That is why I believe the least interference in peoples lives the better from the government and why I am happy for them to be so far away.
    Last edited by ducati; 17-Aug-12 at 12:27.

I should imagine that some people would not be too happy if a conservative government started fiddling with society to make it 'better'

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345