Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: What Type Bird

Default What Type Bird

When walking the dog in the evening in the darking at the Brae Hd Wick I often see a couple of small birds that fly around very fast swooping and diving. I at first thought they were bats coming out of the old Coop building but now think they are birds. There only seems about 2 or 4 at the most. Anyone know what type of birds they are ?.

sounds like may be swallows or swifts bud...

Dont know much about birds but they do seem of that shape. I always thought they favoured more southerly areas.

Housemartins are regular visitors this far north. We have them under our eves from May till October by which time they've built nests had a couple or three broods and then they all fly south to sub-sahara Africa until next year. Bonnie birds that make a mess of our window sills but they are beautiful.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Have to agree Gronnuck we were despairing of our House Martins breeding this year with the weather being so cold, but patience is a virtue and they eventually rebuilt their nest, has been a right hive of activity of late so hoping that there are several fledglings.

Quote Originally Posted by bonami View Post
    When walking the dog in the evening in the darking at the Brae Hd Wick I often see a couple of small birds that fly around very fast swooping and diving. I at first thought they were bats coming out of the old Coop building but now think they are birds. There only seems about 2 or 4 at the most. Anyone know what type of birds they are ?.
    Swallows.

I pass by probably 3 or 4 evenings each week and regularly see them.
    There used to be a lot more but these have lost the nesting sites that were in the building that Hugh Simpson Contractors demolished over a year ago.
    I suspect that these were the birds were nested under the quay in front of the old Herring Mart last summer? There doesn't seem to be any there this year. In the mornings they could be seen skimming the water in the harbour.