Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Mother forgives Caithness driver who caused daughter's death

Default Mother forgives Caithness driver who caused daughter's death

Nicola reveals her amazing decision in book she hopes will help other parents through the pain of losing a child

THE MOTHER of a teenage girl, who died in a road accident in Caithness, has written a book to help other parents to get through the pain of losing a child, Scottish Television reported tonight.
    Nicola Simpson, originally from Collier Row, has penned the novel inspired by the death of her 15-year-old daughter, Abigail, in 2007 in a car crash in Castletown.
    Nicola, 38, said: “If the book helps just one person, then it has done its job. I just want people to know that whatever they are going through is normal, it’s natural to cry and to laugh sometimes.”
    Abigail was the only person killed when the car that she was travelling in lost control and hit a concrete pillar.
    The driver, Scott Manson, who was 18 and had just passed his test, days before the fatal crash, was found guilty of causing death by dangerous driving and was sentenced to two and a half years in prison.
    In the book called Abigail’s Rainbow, Nicola talks about how she struggled to come to terms with Abigail’s death and how the family moved to Cyprus to try to get away from the painful memories in Scotland.
    Nicola, who has spent two years writing the book, says that the process has been really therapeutic and even led to her finding a way to forgive the driver.
    She said: “I wasn’t just writing the book, but I was reliving and writing about the accident and writing about the trial was a living hell. I have been through agony because I was so angry towards the driver, but I met up with him last year when I went to Scotland and I have forgiven him, I mean no anger towards him and I hope he gets on with his life and learns. For me that is the most amazing feeling.”
    Nicola says that her friend advised her to put pen to paper, months after Abigail’s death, but she only thought about it seriously two years ago.
    She is now looking for an agent or a publisher so that she can get the book published.
    Nicola said: “The book is about hope because I feel so alive.
    “It’s called Abigail’s Rainbow because I always see amazing rainbows and on the day of Abigail’s funeral there were at least three complete rainbows.
    “I always feel that Abigail is sending me a message and letting me know she is there.”
    For more information www.abigailsrainbow.com
    Last edited by Nwicker60; 06-Aug-12 at 20:30.