Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Can anyone tell me....

Default Can anyone tell me....

When did Flicks become Eve's?
    When did Eve's become Skinandis?

The wife and I were arguing earlier after I cracked a joke about her going to Flicks back in her day.

She told me she went to Eve's the same as I did but wouldn't believe me when I told her even when I went to the under 18s, skins was skins!

Prove me right!
    Last edited by *Martin*; 03-Aug-12 at 22:50.

Martin, Martin,sigh! How long have you been together? Obviously she is right, it doesn't actually matter what she says, she is right. Learn that like I did, and you will have a happy life.

I used to do printing work for Eve's and also during the early days of Skinandi's - a quick record check shows Eve's was operating from at least mid 1996 to late 1997 (as these are when my invoices to them were dated), while my first Skinandi's invoice was in late 1998. Hope that helps!

I moved to Thurso in 1991 and I'm sure it wasn't open then, I think it was about 1993 it opened as Skinandi's. My ex-wife being a native of Thurso sometimes referred to it as Flicks, but mostly as Eve's; she started drinking in there (illegally) in 1986, but probably used the local historical name. Not that I needed to but I found the carpet helpful when chatting up eh chicks, it was sooo sticky they couldn't get away from you :-)

Hmmm, looks like my memory is very fuzzy, I started typing my post Bob's appeared. His record seems more accurate, though I really don't recall drinking in it as Eve's yet I did go in it (unwillingly) in the 90's.

Thanks gents!

Ducati, I'm still too daft to live the easy life by admitting defeat!

Bob, you prove that I was infact only 12 when Skinandis opened! (it's just dawned on me that there was a local competition to name the nightclub wasn't there?

Jox, I suggest your sig is incorrect! Perhaps you had one too many in skins/Eve's/flicks back in the day!

Sorry for the messed up editing. I'm on my phone and it doesn't like formatting!!

omg I thought I only went to Eves underage(and I was wee and looked underage)!....might have gone while legal....and got asked for id then...

hahaha it would appear it's not only the woman in my life that has a short memory RE: age and time! Who would've thought it??

Bobiovich has the closest answer to my memory.

Eve's was definitely open 1996. Cant remember when Flicks shut. 1993?

The Cardosi's took over late 1997/early 1998, but in never got named Skinandis until summer/autumn 1998.
    Last edited by theone; 04-Aug-12 at 11:41.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Wasnt Eve's and Flicks the same thing? I thought one was upstairs and one down? Maybe wrong though....usually am lol x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

I mind it also being called Features in the late 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Wasnt Eve's and Flicks the same thing? I thought one was upstairs and one down? Maybe wrong though....usually am lol x
    No, flicks and features were upstairs/downstairs. Eves (i believe) was only called so because the owners managed to get the branded carpets from a liquidated nightclub in Glasgow.

Eve's could never compete with the central for popularity at the time.

Having given it more thought, I think skinandis opened without a name January/February 2008 then was named July/August that year.
    Last edited by theone; 04-Aug-12 at 13:52.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    ...Having given it more thought, I think skinandis opened without a name January/February 2008 then was named July/August that year.
    Just double checked and found earlier Skinandi's invoices dated from April 1998, so the name must have been decided by that time.