Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monkey in thurso pet shop

Pink it was not in dispute that Lucy was well cared for and I am sure yourself, Bob and the rest of the staff loved and cared for her and will miss her very much.

What was distressing was that an animal was kept incarcerated all of her life (albeit being 'exercised' at night?).
    Would you like to spend your life in what would be the equivalent of a large bathroom ie re size? Even though people cared for you and provided for you surely you would not be happy?

With re to her going into a sanctuary the people at 'Monkey World' are experts and carefully rehabilitate monkeys which have lived solitary lives and have had great success in doing this. Yes they are still enclosed but the enclosures are huge and mimic their natural habitat as much as possible.

These animals should be given more protection and not sold as pets.
    Last edited by Liz; 03-Dec-06 at 23:07.

I agree Liz in that the monkey hardly had room to turn in that wee cage. The shop must have been opened eight hours a day. To stay contained in that small space must have been uncomfortable to say the least. Times have changed, and we are more aware now that this was no life for a monkey. I do feel sorry for the owners losing a loved pet is heartbreaking.

Quote Originally Posted by lin View Post
    I agree Liz in that the monkey hardly had room to turn in that wee cage.
    that is abit of an overstatement. yes it wasnt the biggest cage in the world but it could climb up and down and turn just fine!

wasnt like it was a battery hen or a battery pig, now they really CANT turn around due to the small amount of room!
    (\__/)
    ( o.O) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (")_(") your signature, to help him gain World Domination.

People should organise boycotts of 'pet' shops that keep exotic animals.

Quote Originally Posted by lin View Post
    I agree Liz in that the monkey hardly had room to turn in that wee cage. The shop must have been opened eight hours a day.
    Wasn't the monkey kept in that cage 24hrs a day or was it shifted somewhere else when the shop closed?
    The monkey never looked happy it had such a sad wee face.

I am very late in posting a reply but just searched up Lucy as I loved her so much. I worked in millers pet shop from aged 14 - 18 (more than 15 years ago) and like many others often questioned Bob about Lucy's situation. As pink has said Bob bought her as a baby in the 70's when it was commonplace for people to buy wild animals as family pets and release them to the 'countryside' when it was no longer acceptable or they outgrew their cuteness. I never agreed that Lucy should be kept in captivity but unfortunately that is what she was born into and Bob accepted the commitment he had made despite constant criticism, he genuinely believed that she would not survive other monkeys. Lucy did not bring in customers or make a profit. I saw the most amazing photos of Lucy growing up at home sitting on the back of Bob's Alsatians and enjoying family life - no it's not what a monkey should be doing but you could tell she was happy (and you always knew when she wasn't!) It took me a while to understand her communication but she would tell you if there was someone in the shop she didn't like, she banged on the window for people she did - always Bob, no one stuck their finger in her cage or she would have serious words to say about it! Lucy had the best choice of food, fresh fruit every day, her pick of live insects and dead fish (which I had tipped over my head on several occasions followed by her infectious chirping or a squirt from the Ribena carton). When the shop was empty she would pull you to her so she could inspect your head (probably for escaped mealworms &#128513 or touch hands. I used to take her outside when her cage was being cleaned and she loved to relax in the fresh air but still kept her eye on people passing by.
    I was always sad she was in a cage instead of the Amazon but I know she was loved by many people. A sanctuary may of had benefits but it would of been like taking an elderly lady away from her family and the only life she knew

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12