Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Monkey in thurso pet shop

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs down Monkey in thurso pet shop

When I was visiting a Thurso pet shop I saw a wee monkey in a very small cage. I thought this was very cruel, what do you think??

Quote Originally Posted by lin View Post
    When I was visiting a Thurso pet shop I saw a wee monkey in a very small cage. I thought this was very cruel, what do you think??
    The poor monkey died lin.

That is sad news, how old was the monkey when it died?

Quote Originally Posted by lin View Post
    That is sad news, how old was the monkey when it died?
    I'm not sure but i'd say a fair age it was in that cage for a very long time, i felt really sorry for it.

I'm sure it was in it's twenties, poor thing never had much of a life.
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

Default Monkey In Pet Shop

I Think When It Was Announced In The Local Paper That Lucy The Monkey Had Died It Said She Had Been There For 24yrs

unicorn Guest

Do you remember when they tried to get her into a sanctuary and the shop put a petition giving the option of a large run or put her to sleep, the poor animal got to stay and never did get the promised run. They built a tuck shop instead

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn View Post
    Do you remember when they tried to get her into a sanctuary and the shop put a petition giving the option of a large run or put her to sleep, the poor animal got to stay and never did get the promised run. They built a tuck shop instead
    Aye i remember unicorn, pretty sad that the poor thing never had much of a life stuck in that cage with every kid poking it's fingers in at it.

There's a monkey in the local petshop here as well, Its been there as long as i can remember it must be very old as well

unicorn Guest

It's a terribly sad and lonely life for them I hated going into the petshop because I couldn't bare to see her sad face

its a shame to keep them captive, although i believe this monkey never knew any different but that still doesnt make it right
    The man who views the world at fifty,
    the same as he did at twenty,
    has wasted thirty years of his life.

I am very late in posting a reply but just searched up Lucy as I loved her so much. I worked in millers pet shop from aged 14 - 18 (more than 15 years ago) and like many others often questioned Bob about Lucy's situation. As pink has said Bob bought her as a baby in the 70's when it was commonplace for people to buy wild animals as family pets and release them to the 'countryside' when it was no longer acceptable or they outgrew their cuteness. I never agreed that Lucy should be kept in captivity but unfortunately that is what she was born into and Bob accepted the commitment he had made despite constant criticism, he genuinely believed that she would not survive other monkeys. Lucy did not bring in customers or make a profit. I saw the most amazing photos of Lucy growing up at home sitting on the back of Bob's Alsatians and enjoying family life - no it's not what a monkey should be doing but you could tell she was happy (and you always knew when she wasn't!) It took me a while to understand her communication but she would tell you if there was someone in the shop she didn't like, she banged on the window for people she did - always Bob, no one stuck their finger in her cage or she would have serious words to say about it! Lucy had the best choice of food, fresh fruit every day, her pick of live insects and dead fish (which I had tipped over my head on several occasions followed by her infectious chirping or a squirt from the Ribena carton). When the shop was empty she would pull you to her so she could inspect your head (probably for escaped mealworms &#128513 or touch hands. I used to take her outside when her cage was being cleaned and she loved to relax in the fresh air but still kept her eye on people passing by.
    I was always sad she was in a cage instead of the Amazon but I know she was loved by many people. A sanctuary may of had benefits but it would of been like taking an elderly lady away from her family and the only life she knew