Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: 'Scouthal' Bridge Street, Halkirk

Default 'Scouthal' Bridge Street, Halkirk

Can anyone tell me if there was a family called 'Black' that lived in 'Scouthal' Bridge Street Halkirk in the early 1900's - 1920's. If so, is there any living relatives locally? cheers anybody

I don't think there is any members of the Black family living locally. Are you related? I met a lady who was the grand-daughter of William Black, headmaster of Halkirk School at around the time you are interested in and who stayed in Scouthal, Bridge Street, Halkirk.

Sorry - only just registered and seen this! Yes, this is my family. My grandfather, William Black, was headmaster of Halkirk School 1896-1933ish. He died in 1951. He was a well-known personality. My grandmother Marjorie Bruce Taylor came from Gerston - her father was factor to Lord Thurso - and they had 8 children, of which my father was the eldest. They moved from the schoolhouse to Scouthal, exactly when I don't know, but presumably when my grandfather retired. The house was called Scouthal after his own home, Scouthal farm in Watten. I take it this query is connected to the discovery of my Aunt Marguerite's Dux Medal which was reported in the Groat recently? Donald Black of Tongside, Scotscalder, is a relative.