Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: Should a cats be found another home if there is a baby around?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, the cat is part of the family

31 46.97%
  • Yes, you can never turn your back for a second.

3 4.55%
  • Yes, I hate cats.

3 4.55%
  • It depends on the cats behaviour and house layout, etc

29 43.94%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cats and Babies?

I love cats, but if I had a baby, I would keep the cats away from a sleeping baby just so the bub didn't get covered in cat hair. But I don't know that it would mean getting rid of it.
    She was not quite what you would call refined, she was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. Mark Twain

Yip,i can't agree more.Cats are definatly attracted to breast's.I for one have developed them due to old age and our cats can't stay away from me.So to stop the wife getting gealous they are going to be rehomed

Default Cats

I got my cat just a few week after my son was born and she became so protective over him she would sit beside his cot, pram or basket wherever he was. Never did she try and get in with him and she spends a lot of time under his bed now.

It depends entirely on the cat. I've had my cat for 7 years and she was fine when i had my son. She couldn't really be bothered with him and pretty much stayed away.

I had my cats before I had my daughter and would never even consider rehoming them, even through I was advised by lots of people to get rid of them. No matter what problems you have they can always be overcome, some people just can't be botherd trying. I know lots of people that had a cat before the baby and once the baby was born the poor cat got no attention, they had obviously got a cat as a substitite until the real thing came along! I have never heard of a cat actually suffocating a child or a child coming to any harm from having a few cat hairs on them, unless they are allergic to cats.

Quote Originally Posted by minni85 View Post
    I got my cat just a few week after my son was born and she became so protective over him she would sit beside his cot, pram or basket wherever he was. Never did she try and get in with him and she spends a lot of time under his bed now.
    This sounds about right to me.
    Depends on the cat i suppose, but some do come as familiars, sounds like you have a good cat.
    WoRdS ShOuLd Be SiMpLe An VoIcEs SoFt !!!

If I were to have a child, I'd keep my cat!

As it is, my cat's the closest think I'm getting to a child! lol

But if it were to happen, I'd try to keep the cat away from the cot and pram etc. I think it's good for a child to have a pet, no matter how young. I don't know what Nicky's like around children, he's very affectionate but I think if I wanted him away from a baby he'd learn quite quickly. He'd be happy so long as he still got to sleep under my duvet (daft thing never goes to mr A's side of the bed)

And the cat we had when my brother was born hated the thought of being in the same room as a baby!

Maybe it all depends on the parent not the cat lol... common sense is definately needed!
    "People may say what they wish, but we are actually under no compulsion to listen." LJ, and I do so wholeheartedly agree!

When my daughter was born I was totally paranoid that my cat would smother her so he had to go, I have never regretted the decision (the cat got a good if not better home out in the country) and I know that I did the right thing for me.

I would never trust a cat or dog for that matter with a baby!
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

Quote Originally Posted by Julia View Post
    When my daughter was born I was totally paranoid that my cat would smother her so he had to go, I have never regretted the decision (the cat got a good if not better home out in the country) and I know that I did the right thing for me.

I would never trust a cat or dog for that matter with a baby!
    What was the source of your paranoia? Had you seen or heard of smothering caused by cats from people you know?

I remember a popular programme called 'Crown Court' during the 1970s. A woman who was accused of smothering her child was acquitted because she blamed her cat. I think this programme might be one source of it all and paranoia has grown within the British public.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12