Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Rehearsal Space Revisited

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    Seems like he's on a one man crusade to me.
    I'm just getting a wee bit tired of your cheek Jied be carefull! if you think you can do better then go ahead if not stick to what you do best whatever that is or you can try being helpful rather than just sitting there bitchin'!
    Now can I please get some ideas coming in so Jied can rip them to pieces aswell .
    I need some idea as to how many bands are currently without a rehearsal space so we have an idea of how many rooms are going to be needed.
    Deemac you are right the main concert hall would have to be built for good acoustics, but is there anything else we need to think about..a recording studio perhaps that can be rented out to an engineer.
    Last edited by clash67; 01-Dec-06 at 18:41.

your right cazaa the high school has plans to convert a gymnasiam or something to a community centre, it would be on a much smaller scale than the one planned for the Viewfirth area but their plans may affect the application put forward the Viewfirth, and a poll is a good idea, perhaps we could start apoll on how many musicians would use the place if we managed to get it? Could someone start a poll for me please while I start on some paper work for the next meeting, I think it is in just over a week.

Quote Originally Posted by clash67 View Post
    I'm just getting a wee bit tired of your cheek Jied be carefull! if you think you can do better then go ahead if not stick to what you do best whatever that is or you can try being helpful rather than just sitting there bitchin'!
    Now can I please get some ideas coming in so Jied can rip them to pieces aswell .
    I need some idea as to how many bands are currently without a rehearsal space so we have an idea of how many rooms are going to be needed.
    Deemac you are right the main concert hall would have to be built for good acoustics, but is there anything else we need to think about..a recording studio perhaps that can be rented out to an engineer.
    I'm not being cheeky. Be careful? Is that some sort of threat? I never said I could do better, I've never claimed I could and never claimed that I wanted to... that has to be the worst comeback I've ever seen. I've also not ripped any ideas to shreds, I have however said that I am a tad pessimistic about the whole idea and will remain to be so until the whole thing gets a go ahead. I'm not the one trying to be the saviour of the Caithness music scene, you are.

Who is this Jied you speak of anyway?

However, since you've finally asked for ideas. I think two or three rooms would be enough. Some bands don't practise every week and there's also no guarantee that the facilities will get used every day of the week. Maybe having three would be ideal but obviously doing market research on this would be important.

As for the hall, you should maybe ask around local music societies to see if they would be interested in using a large hall for music/plays/shows etc. and gather what sort of size you would need. 1500 could be excessive, but obviously researching would have to be done. Good acoustic proofing would be a good idea as Deemac has already pointed out, it lets a lot of places down.

There some input... stick that in your pipe

I'm not being cheeky. Be careful? Is that some sort of threat? I never said I could do better, I've never claimed I could and never claimed that I wanted to... that has to be the worst comeback I've ever seen. I've also not ripped any ideas to shreds, I have however said that I am a tad pessimistic about the whole idea and will remain to be so until the whole thing gets a go ahead. I'm not the one trying to be the saviour of the Caithness music scene, you are.

Who is this Jied you speak of anyway?

However, since you've finally asked for ideas. I think two or three rooms would be enough. Some bands don't practise every week and there's also no guarantee that the facilities will get used every day of the week. Maybe having three would be ideal but obviously doing market research on this would be important.

As for the hall, you should maybe ask around local music societies to see if they would be interested in using a large hall for music/plays/shows etc. and gather what sort of size you would need. 1500 could be excessive, but obviously researching would have to be done. Good acoustic proofing would be a good idea as Deemac has already pointed out, it lets a lot of places down.

There some input... stick that in your pipe
    Ok "JEID" (sorry I have a habit of getting my I's and E's the wrong way round)
    So 3 rooms sounds fine, of course if we could get away with asking for slightly more then I am sure they will get used but when all these community groups like the drama group etc. move out of their present set up then there will be a load of buildings that would be empty so that would provide more facilities for potential rehearsal spaces.

Kiddies, stop bickering and keep it on topic. If you wanna argue, use PM's. This is a decent thread and you pair are both acting like bairns.

contradiction is a swine is it not lol

Default Go Clash!

OK here's my input...

I am all for a good arts centre for Thurso and am glad that someone is willing to put the effort in to ensure that, should it go ahead, the local performers get a say in what's required.

The idea of a decent sized hall (1500 capacity would be superb - maybe with some sort of partitioning for smaller shows?) with multiple rehersal rooms (letting out in blocks of 2-3 nights would work well - allowing bands to get a good couple of practices before having to move gear) along with many of the other facilities listed in the more constructive posts, would make for a fine amenity for the town.

There are already numerous events currently held in Thurso High which could easily transfer to such a venue - the Player's pantomime being one which immediately springs to mind. The main hall would have to have plenty of accessible storage so it can be converted from a standing venue to a comfortable seated venue fairly easily.

The hall & rooms would almost certainly have to be multi-use. Many of the numerous coffee mornings, meetings, dances, etc. which were lost when the town hall closed could then be held in this venue. While this idea may not go down well with some of the musicians on this site, a replacement for these lost facilites is required in Thurso and the Viewfirth site is perfect for them. Making it multi-use, but with an Art's preference when it comes to booking, would help with the running costs.

I don't feel that an actual studio would be required unless it was run as a full-time professional business venture at going rates, but with discounts for local bands. It's a lot of expense for all the latest equipment and would require it's own dedicated and knowledgable staff. Locally we do have a few small studios and it wouldn't be fair to compete against them - but should work in conjunction with them. If it was run professionally and advertised as a great retreat for bands to visit the north to record (along with some accommodation deals with a decent hotel) then we could attract some big names and maybe get a 'cheap' gig out of them once they're here!

Another thought...even with a 1500 capacity hall, would it be worthwhile also having the facilities to play open air gigs on the Viewfirth Green so that a good yearly gig can be hosted (The Big Gig / Edge of the World style events as are being discussed on another thread). The hall would then serve as the backup venue in the event of bad weather - something which could have been so useful this summer past. Also all the power requirements, stage signal feeds, etc. could be laid into the ground so that an open air gig would be halfway there - with all the access through manholes, etc.

Of course the venue would have to be staffed from at least 10am - 9pm and maybe later during events, albeit some may only be required part-time. At least one knowledgable engineer would have to be on hand whenever there are bands in, as well as bar, cleaning & maintenance staff available during/after events. The idea of young bands having a nominated adult who has to be present is a great one.

A good way to manage the booking of the hall & rooms would be via a website with online booking facility. That way a band wishing to book can register (having to agree to the terms of use of the venue in doing so), can see what's booked, and can reserve a slot easily. If it ever got to the situation where there were more bands than rehersal slots, or if bands were hogging the premium slots, then it would need to be rotated so that other bands could get access to the better time slots. If other non-arts groups wished to book a room or the hall then, when they registered, part of the agreement would be that they would have to give way to art's-groups in the event of a conflict. This could be open to abuse but the art's group would have to justify why they needed a particular slot before a non-arts event was cancelled in favour of their event.

Anyway, there are some great ideas being bought up so far and without good ideas, and plenty of people contributing & behind the ideas, it'll never get off the ground. We all know how difficult it is going to be to persuade the powers that be to agree, and to get funding in place, but it's got to be worth a go so less of the pessimism and more of the enthusiasm please.

Quote Originally Posted by K dragon View Post
    Kiddies, stop bickering and keep it on topic. If you wanna argue, use PM's. This is a decent thread and you pair are both acting like bairns.

contradiction is a swine is it not lol
    I wasn't bickering like a school child on the playground. I was making points and there was no name calling.

well dude thats what i was doin,

you may be a moderator and all but still you were fighting with him i wasnt bickering eiother mind you as of late any forum descussion is a bicker.....

NEWMARKET RUUUUULEEESSS!!!!!!

K Dragon,
    What you on just now?
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by K dragon View Post
    well dude thats what i was doin,

you may be a moderator and all but still you were fighting with him i wasnt bickering eiother mind you as of late any forum descussion is a bicker.....
    So, because I was being pessimistic, I was fighting? Erm, grab a hold of reality. If we were to hold this conversation in person, then you would hear what I was saying(to clash) and if I was really "fighting"... or arguing as we should be saying, then I'm sure there would have been a big fall out. Instead, Clash actually asked for ideas, which, I gladly provided and he's responded. I've never said over the course of the thread that I'm against his ideas, just that perhaps we shouldn't get too excited just yet.

If I was arguing, I'd be stating that this is the most stupid idea in the world and I'm dead against it etc etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Deemac View Post
    K Dragon,
    What you on just now?
    You should be in bed... you're going to Edinburger tomorrow. I feel sorry for Dom... Chobbers will be keeping the poor man awake for the next two days

im on jack daniels deemac

woah jeid, you got a bug up your butt recentley, your as uptight as cazaa, im just kidding.

maybe i should retire from the old caithness.org, its getting to uptight for my tastes, maybe a young muso cant cut it in this forum anymore.

oh well im off for an absinthe.

peace out muso's

Thank You Bobinovich, you made a lot of good points and that was what I was hoping for. yes I think the recording studio was maybe not such a good idea, we have a number of perfectly good studios around us and they have all the technical know how already.
    I was aiming for a 1500 capacity because I was hoping we could intercept some of the big name bands that pass through Thurso on their way to Orkney, and having the hall sectioned of for smaller events is also a good idea, these will be some of the ideas that I will bring to the table at the next meeting.
    and to everyone else please don't this thread continue to be more of an argument than an ideas factory.
    Thank You.

Quote Originally Posted by moncur View Post
    Reev,

b4 i joined the band there was no lugging around of equipment as it lived in riddels woodyard. I take my bass amp to practice as u left urs at pablos years ago and have yet to pick it up. We have to use the Empty Fortune PA as you are incapable of wiring the plug on your one! Plus, Im the poor soul who has to unload the car & trailer when i take the gear home.

Rant over (for now until Ben comes up with another feeble excuse)
    ill make this simple, you do what your told when your told, if you want to be the mug who doe sit all, then by all means do so, my bass amp now has a home at pablo's, it would be ashame to move it, incapable, oh no no, js dont want to KILL myself using it with the one ive got, and you unloads the gear, yes, cause hey, ITS YOURS
    "The Light seems small and far,
    A Darkness envelops my soul,
    Hiding behind my empty smiles,
    Within my mind, Deeper I fall."

, so now your all ranting and fighting over the fact that someone said you were ranting and figting but you said you werent ranting and fighting, so now instead you are ALL RANTING AND FIGHTING

"The Light seems small and far,
    A Darkness envelops my soul,
    Hiding behind my empty smiles,
    Within my mind, Deeper I fall."

You should be in bed... you're going to Edinburger tomorrow. I feel sorry for Dom... Chobbers will be keeping the poor man awake for the next two days

Jeid,
    Your spot on - Poor Dom looks a hollow man now after the Edinburger stint. Him and Chobbers went off to a piano bar looking for more booze after the gig. I believe it was past 5am before they crashed. And then 6 hours in a car going back up north. I learned after Strathpeffer NOT to share a room with Chobbers - He's a party animal!!!! (Or is he?) . . . . .
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345