Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Rehearsal Space Revisited

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Rehearsal Space Revisited

I have become more and more aware that there is a lot of bands in Thurso that have found themselves without a rehearsal space since the sad demise of the Viewfirth, moves are afoot to try and secure the land at the Viewfirth to build an arts complex or similiar where there would be rehearsal space available..however that seems to be a long term plan all be it a very good one and is not yet confirmed. meanwhile there is a great need for a solution to the problem facing bands in the here and now. I have racked my brains and called numerous organisations such as local schools ,college, hotels etc. but it was not possible to secure any suitable premises, so I got to thinking that perhaps some big firm would donate a suitably sized porta cabin by way of sponsorship ,they would get advertising which would go along with any news articles about their generous gift to the arts community of Caithness, also local bands could do a once a year fundraising concert towards the upkeep of the cabin perhaps, and all promotoinal material and radio broadcasts for the concert would be credited to the company as the sponsor.
    The council could be asked to donate a suitable plot for the cabin although they don't seem to be very interested in the plight of young rock groups but this would give them a chance to score some much needed brownie points.
    Does anyone have any views on this, does this sound like it might work or does it sound too unlikely to ever happen?

man not even thurso high would let you use the hall after school hours.

what about the red wood after hours on weekdays when no gigs are on at night, it shuts at four or summat during the week.

isla seems like a reasonable landlady/ pub owner.

the whole cabin thing might work but placement would be trouble. the council dont give a dman about much these days so i shouldnt think they would care about bands. i sense a "oh but the cabin would look unsuitable to any enviroment we place it locally" probably wouldnt even let you throw it in a field in the middle of nowhere.

but practises are hard now a days.

Quote Originally Posted by K dragon View Post
    man not even thurso high would let you use the hall after school hours.

what about the red wood after hours on weekdays when no gigs are on at night, it shuts at four or summat during the week.

isla seems like a reasonable landlady/ pub owner.

the whole cabin thing might work but placement would be trouble. the council dont give a dman about much these days so i shouldnt think they would care about bands. i sense a "oh but the cabin would look unsuitable to any enviroment we place it locally" probably wouldnt even let you throw it in a field in the middle of nowhere.

but practises are hard now a days.
    Rehearsals imho should never feel like a major chore, the thought of loading a PA into a van unloading it at the rehearsal room, setting the PA up sound check,rehearse for ..say 3 hours , dismantle the PA load it into a van, unload it at the other end twice a week and then do it all over again at the weekend for gigs sounds too much work really, the only solution is to have a place that is set up and ready to go so that the musician can remain fresh and focused soley on the rehearsal and not destracted by the labourious tasks involved, it would need to be a place that the eqiupment can be safe and restricted from public use so to speak.

i meant simple practises, like simple amps guitars a mic and a drumkit.

not al bands especially young ones own a pa

Quote Originally Posted by K dragon View Post
    i meant simple practises, like simple amps guitars a mic and a drumkit.

not al bands especially young ones own a pa
    good point Kdragon, I would be willing to donate the use of some gear and lottery funding could be sought, all proceeds from the Howlin'Gaels album is to be put to such a community project so depending on album sales we could hopefuly be able to donate a good quality PA.

i will be buying it then. to contribute

Quote Originally Posted by clash67 View Post
    I have become more and more aware that there is a lot of bands in Thurso that have found themselves without a rehearsal space since the sad demise of the Viewfirth, moves are afoot to try and secure the land at the Viewfirth to build an arts complex or similiar where there would be rehearsal space available..however that seems to be a long term plan all be it a very good one and is not yet confirmed. meanwhile there is a great need for a solution to the problem facing bands in the here and now. I have racked my brains and called numerous organisations such as local schools ,college, hotels etc. but it was not possible to secure any suitable premises, so I got to thinking that perhaps some big firm would donate a suitably sized porta cabin by way of sponsorship ,they would get advertising which would go along with any news articles about their generous gift to the arts community of Caithness, also local bands could do a once a year fundraising concert towards the upkeep of the cabin perhaps, and all promotoinal material and radio broadcasts for the concert would be credited to the company as the sponsor.
    The council could be asked to donate a suitable plot for the cabin although they don't seem to be very interested in the plight of young rock groups but this would give them a chance to score some much needed brownie points.
    Does anyone have any views on this, does this sound like it might work or does it sound too unlikely to ever happen?
    A rehearsal space....wits that.A guy Larry Mullen once put a wee note on a school noticeboard,if anyone can play an instrument come to ma hoose.Folk came,the outcome was U2.The best band .....Ever.Look through the years
    Beatles ......50% dead.....Rolling Stones.....no good tunes in the last 20 out of 40.So for all ye guys oot there who enjoy their music go for it.Cos ye might be the next Big Thing.
    Their coming to take me away.....haha-hee-hee-ho-ho

thats the whole point of this thread dude.......we need a place to go "oot an do eet"

Clash... what you worried about... you've got a place to practise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    Clash... what you worried about... you've got a place to practise.
    yes your right of course Jeid but i am more concerned with the fact that nothing is being done to help the music community and although I am sorted for a rehearsal space what about everyone else?
    The Gaels are doing our best to try and ensure that once we have layed up our instruments for the last time there will still be a music scene in Caithness. who knows what talent is still to emerge from Caithness but with the sheer lack of interest from the council and the lack of facilities and funding we may see less and less musicians willing to take on the heavy burden that comes with playing in a serious touring band.
    some years ago I went proffesional and decided to take advantage of a subsidy that was being offered by HIDB (now known as CASE)to self employed people, I was told that this was not offered to musicians as if there was some difference between being self employed as say a plummer and being self employed as a musician! The reason was that the local powers that be did not consider music as being something that could be considered as a bonified career even though the music industry in Scotland alone contibutes a huge amount of money to the economy and creates thousands of jobs.This is recognised by everywhere else in Britian except Caithness! we have to somehow change this way of thinking by local councils and fund holders.
    I have spent a great deal of my life sat in offices trying to convince some old fart that music is a very important part of our community only for my words to fall on deaf ears.
    When I first started the band back in "85" we had no PA no decent amplifiers no money and no transport but against all odds and through a LOT of hard work we eventualy got enough gear together to start touring on a shoe string budget, funding was not available or as usual there was funding available but was impossible to get, I aproached the council and went to CASE and tried all sorts of people to try and raise funds to update our gear which was virtualy hanging together but even though we were getting a lot of media coverage on a national level,even though we were raising lots of money for local charities and also attracting big crowds to local venues and there was a huge interest from major festivals the funding was somehow always wasted on some half baked idea like spending thousands of pounds on bringing some classical trios from god knows what country to play to the local snobs and yet the council could only afford to pay us £50 to play at there Gala Week!
    To say I was dishearted would be an understatement but we carried on regardless however some would have given up in frustraition and that is what I fear will happen to musicians in the future, there will be those who will be put of by the amount of hard work involved and the lack of help available and will eventualy give up and opt for a more "serious" career.
    I love music I think I have proven that by my track record spanning over two decades and but I would hate to think that up and coming musicians will have to face the same hardships that I have had to face.

Clash,

those who give up because the council/local snobs etc, wont recognise them as serious musicians dont deserve to keep the talent they were blessed with.

Your not the only band that has started out with cheap old gear..... i'd be surprised if anyone's very first band practice didn't consist of vocals through the mic jack in their stereo!

As time goes on and the band members grow up money becomes more and more available, and if they wish they can invest in newer and better gear. I would estimate that the 3 piece I am currently playing with has gear that, at RRP, is well worth over 10 grand.

I dont play to be recognised by anyone, I dont play to make the council listen to our pleas, and I dont play to inspire the generation before me, I play because I love it. Simple as.

I agree that a common place to practise would be a good idea, however its not like its not been tried in the past. The community centre in miller academy was always available when we wanted it in the 90's. The majority of my playing youth was spent in the youth club, putting on the occasional gig for the "kids" as a thank you. And more recently my boss has been kind enough to let us use his premises (prob the best ever venue to practise in too !)

I would challenge you that anyone who loves to play will never find a problem finding a place to practice. Why should it be up to other people to nurture their talent? And as for equipment to play on, they can earn that themselves.