Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: "google it" RIP

Default "google it" RIP

I thought this was a wind up but alas not, Google chrome igoogle browser is closing Nov 2013. I for one will certainly miss the " google it " facility.

http://support.google.com/websearch/...answer=2664197
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

iGoogle is stupid and never seemed Google-ish to me. I've only even seen a certain type of user with it turned on. Some OEM suppliers turn it on by default also.

iGoogle is not Google. iGoogle is not Google Chrome - you should be using Chromium anyway.

igoogle ..whats that?

Quote Originally Posted by Niander View Post
    igoogle ..whats that?
    An obnoxious version of the Google home page (examples at that link), where you can set a background and have pointless widgets and gadgets. It's the sort of thing I'd expect to see online in the 90s.

You can see it for yourself by going to http://www.google.com/ig

Quote Originally Posted by RecQuery View Post
    An obnoxious version of the Google home page (examples at that link), where you can set a background and have pointless widgets and gadgets. It's the sort of thing I'd expect to see online in the 90s.

You can see it for yourself by going to http://www.google.com/ig

Useless gadgets ?, I suppose if you put useless ones on they will be, but put useful ones on and that is not the case, every one has an opinion of what is useful or not it is just personal preference
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

I totally agree!

iGoogle is stupid and never seemed Google-ish to me. I've only even seen a certain type of user with it turned on. Some OEM suppliers turn it on by default also.

iGoogle is not Google. iGoogle is not Google Chrome - you should be using Chromium anyway.

What is iGoogle? Looks like I need to examine stuff on my computer a little more although I never have seen iGoogle. From the comments so far I don't believe I care for it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGregp81 View Post
    I totally agree!
    igoogle is part of "Google Chrome", what are you using ?.
    Muhammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    igoogle is part of "Google Chrome", what are you using ?.
    It is in no way part of Chrome. Chrome is a browser like Firefox, Opera, Safari or Internet Explorer you can still access iGoogle via those browsers. The two ate not intrinsically linked, your browser may have had iGoogle already set as the default home page but that's it.

It is in no way part of Chrome. Chrome is a browser like Firefox, Opera, Safari or Internet Explorer you can still access iGoogle via those browsers. The two ate not intrinsically linked, your browser may have had iGoogle already set as the default home page but that's it.
    I was invited by "Google" to use iGoogle as part of the "chromium" set up to use their apps on a home page instead of the regular Google home page. Get your facts right. Now it looks like I will have to revert to the old home page next year. Here is a link it might improve your "Google" knowledge. http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story...-shutting-down
    Muhammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by oldmarine View Post
    What is iGoogle? Looks like I need to examine stuff on my computer a little more although I never have seen iGoogle. From the comments so far I don't believe I care for it.
    It is always good to know the subject before condemning it.
    Muhammad Ali

...Get your facts right....
    LOL that's rather ironic when RecQuery is right in what he says - iGoogle is available no matter what browser you use and although iGoogle is going, Chrome is not.

It is always good to know the subject before condemning it.
    It's always good to know the subject before commenting incorrectly on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    LOL that's rather ironic when RecQuery is right in what he says - iGoogle is available no matter what browser you use and although iGoogle is going, Chrome is not.
    So, same as always then. You must be talking about Alanis Morissette irony.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post

It's always good to know the subject before commenting incorrectly on it!
    I have not said Chrome is going, all I said was igoogle which is a part of chrome is going, it is always good to get facts right.
    But having said that I should not have mentioned the word browser which you appear to be picking up on.
    Last edited by tonkatojo; 10-Jul-12 at 12:03.
    Muhammad Ali