Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Wild orchids....HELP

Default Wild orchids....HELP

I am bewildered by a yellow orchid that I found today in Strathalladale it was in a meadow full of wild flowers including spotted orchids, have searched various sites and both my flower books but can't find any thing that looks like it.
    My 1st thought was Twayblade but it had a much more compact and robust flower head that was pyramidal in shape, about 8/10 " high and the flowers were a delicate shade of primrose yellow, I do have photos but photobucket is being a right pain tonight, will try and post one in the morning.

Hi LIZZ

It looks like a Butterfly Orchid, not sure which one from your photo, do you have any others.

nirofo.
    Last edited by nirofo; 02-Jul-12 at 01:22.

Many thanks nirofo, I know you know that area well, was down by the anglers hut where there is the small force and you enter by the gate opposite where that ruined (ex school) is being restored..there was more than one.

my mum has a wildflower field she can give you more details if you are interested, her email is rona.button@fsmail.net

Thank you annie80 have been in touch with your mother and she has confirmed nirofo's identifiction but as to whether it is a lesser one will have to remain a mystery as it was well into the meadow and I don't intend tramping down the farmer's field to get a closer look!
    A new orchid for me so am delighted despite thinking it was pale yellow and not white.
    Your help much appreciated both.