Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thurso Music Scene: 1986-1996

As Lisa Simpson said, when, after she was about to expose Jebadiah Springfield: "sometimes the myth is better left told than the truth."

And this is how I look upon the Moonshine Rock Bar in Scapa House. A tiny enclave tucked away inside a 500-bedroomed hotel for U.S. Navy servicemen, I can imagine no better/cooler venue in the world.

From what I can recall (or, am willing to admit), the only lighting the MRB had was ultra-violet; there were no beer taps, just cases; and a mannequin, placed behind a cage on-stage, served no apparent purpose other than to suffer the artistic (graffiti) feats of the bands that played there.

The Moonshine's toilets resembled CBGB's: itself a toilet. And, when another band had been booked into the neighbouring hall next door, gigs could often resemble the Run DMC-Aerosmith video for Walk This Way. Only this time it was Discrepency and Howlin' Gaels pretending to be Jam Master Jay and Steven Tyler. Now there's a thought not exactly worth harbouring.

I only every played there once - it was too much fun "swiping" other peoples' beer and hurling people (as well as abuse) in the direction of whatever incarnation of Jungle Logic and Stentching Mr. Stanley was onstage.

When they came to bulldoze the place, 'twas a sad day. Those mechanical dinosaurs - that'll be the JCB's - tore away at some great memories. If only they'd done it to the tune of Slayer's Seasons Of The Abyss... At 1000 Watts.

Moonshine Rock Bar - we hardly knew ye.

ps I hear a certain ex-Discrepency guitarist salvaged the Moonshine's Bar. Respec'.

I had a cassette of the Radio City demo - I actually think this may have been the only copy. I returned it to James a good few years back - without making a copy
    'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
    There's something going wrong around here

Indeed its a small world and I can spot a few of my ex fellow musicians from the period in this column!

Before James Sutherland (Radio City/Blonde Bros/Close Action/Roadworks/Z-ROX) left the county, I secured copies of all James' Blonde Brothers/Radio City recordings, as well as a demo tape by the late (and brilliant) Raymond Henderson, who was James' songwriting partner during the Blonde Bros/Radio City days. I now have these on CD and would be happy to supply mp3s for download.

I ended up as James' songwriting partner - if you can call it that - for the Close Action and Z-ROX days.

I have some recordings from these days:

Close Action - on DVD playing live at Golspie Festival (supporting Runrig) the day of the first Live Aid concert in 1985. Also at Watten Hall in February 1986. Also Close Action's demos recorded in Aviemore in 1986 and our interviews on MFR.

Z-ROX - the Z-ROX album "Face the Future" from 1988. Also entire concerts - some covering 3 CDs - including John O'Groats Hotel and the Mercury, Wick from 1986, The Orange Room from 1987 and a partial recording from the Rosebank in 1988. I also have the sessions Z-ROX recorded for their second (unreleased) album.

Roadworks - VCD and soundtrack from Roadworks at the Viewfirth EOTW festival in 1991.

Anyone wanting copies or who has additional recordings of the bands please contact me via private message.

Other bands from the time which I remember fondly were "The Ayatollah Band" with Ruby Bain on guitar, and "Five-A-Side", with Tim someone-or-other who did a great impression of Steely Dan's guitarist and played a Gibson Firebird. Also Wick's One-Card-Trick with Willie Mitchell and the Murray brothers.

And also before them, 2-bit-ram (Ruby Bain again, I think) and the brilliant Wick punk band, British Standard (Spike Tait on bass).

I'm sure Ruby's band were playing at Canisbay the night Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin) came up to open Harrow Harbour - and then went on to the gig. Not many Caithness guitarists can claim that!

One of my favourite Z-ROX memories was supporting Del Amitri at Wick and the party that followed. In the interests of National Security I'll have to hold off other stories for another 100 years.....
    Green but not brainwashed

Using the sun to provide hot water.
    Driving a car that gets 73 miles per gallon.....

One of my favourite Z-ROX memories was supporting Del Amitri at Wick and the party that followed. In the interests of National Security I'll have to hold off other stories for another 100 years.....
    Funny you should mention Del Amitri. I mentioned the Wick gig to Justin in a pub not long ago and, being in a rather drunken state, didn't have too many good things to say about it. Something about "dirty weekers and small plates in their restuarants." He's not at his best these days.

Quality point about Page and Harrow Harbour. This kinda stuff really does only happen in Twin Peaks, Caithness.

Funny you should mention Del Amitri. I mentioned the Wick gig to Justin in a pub not long ago and, being in a rather drunken state, didn't have too many good things to say about it. Something about "dirty weekers and small plates in their restuarants." He's not at his best these days.
    It wasn't the gig so much as a major party with the band afterwards, and the chance to mix with one of Scotland's (even the UK's) top bands of the time. Justin didn't spend much time there - he turned up at the buffet with a girl in each arm, grabbed some food and disappeared. Sensible and lucky man! The rest of us were quaffing pints until 4 in the morning.

Other bands of the time which spring to mind are "Number 22" - Thurso's Mike Maitland on guitar, with staalwarts Alistair Wordie (bass) and Davie Alexander (drums). Also who could forget Tich and Raymond?
    Green but not brainwashed

Using the sun to provide hot water.
    Driving a car that gets 73 miles per gallon.....

Yes, who could.

Funny that, for all the coverage Steven Cashmore compiled for the Groat on the Caithness music scene, it's a disgrace the years mentioned in this topic have been left out: some of the most frutiful, creative and vibrant spells in Caithness live music.

I'm not blaming Steven - far from it - I'm just suspicious why these years were left out. I'd do it myself but the Groat probably wouldn't publish it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deemac
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge
    Excellent. A nice story there. I'll come up with my own once I rack my brain for them. Funnily enough I always remember Donnie Williamson as H&B's drummer. Wasn't that the case? Seen them perform (open-air) at Mount Pleasant school once. And hey, I'm just getting to the Moonshine Rock Bar days... Yes, remember that?

Back soon.
    Pepsi, your right! Donnie was the first drummer with Home & Beyond. I was the second one. If I recall Donnie decided to concentrate on singing and Harmonica. I think it was at a gig in the 'Rod & Line' (Remember this one? Now a medical centre near Thurso Bridge - how sad), that I was asked to join. Great band at the time. Very, very sad what happened to Raymond. Anyway, just thought I'd correct the record.

Deemac
    Pepsi

I happend to bump into Donnie this afternoon and was telling him about this thread. He said he wouldn't mind a copy of the aforementioned picture you have of him playing in H&B. He's got very little from his early days so if you could PM me we'll sort something out.

Cheers

The photograph now lies in the hands of Stuart McGregor's wee brother, Andy. I'll PM you Andy's phone number shortly. In this day and age, I'm sure he can at least scan it and email it to you.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge
    ps. I hear a certain ex-Discrepency guitarist salvaged the Moonshine's Bar. Respec'.
    Former Discrepancy guitarist here!

I canna mind anything aboot this? Must have been Dave Morris? It wisna me, anyway!! Please expand on this?

I remember the Moonshine well enough, though! A great place to play, and to be honest, to even get people up on the floor headbanging was an achievement for us!

I remember an Inverness band used to come up every month or so during this time, and they played in the Sheiling/One-Up. They were called Tai Pan, heavy rockers with the leather troosers and all the headbands and belt buckles and cowboy boots. They played a lot of Iron Maiden and Judas Priest. Great stuff, great harmony guitar solos!

As far as I know, I'm the only one left out of Discrepancy that is still playing. I know Dave Custer (Bass) played a while ago in a decent band in Aberdeen - they played the Lemon Tree a few times and played Glasgow too, but I think he's idle (musically) now. Dave Mo has given up, and Ally Manson - well let's just not go there...! As for the drummers, well, we had so many in such a short time that I can hardly remember who they were! The Spinal Tap merry-go-round springs immediately to mind. We never lost any to freak gardening accidents, though!

Nice to hear that Discrepancy, for all our faults, are still remembered!

Ps. I remember Frank Gunn played in a band with James Sutherland on bass, and Kenny Falconer on guitar. I thought they were Hi Stakes, but now I'm not so sure! Was Bryan Dodds on drums? Can't remember who was singing.

HarmonyQueen Guest

Hi Stakes line up was Jenny Allan - vocals, Frank Gunn - keyboards/vocals, Ian Lyall - guitar, Fraser Bain - guitar, James Sutherland - bass, Brian Dodds - drums.

Yeah, that's right.

Who did Kenny Falconer play guitar for then? Definitely Frank Gunn on keys, and James on Bass. They played in Thurso about 1994-ish, I remember them in the Central one night...can't remember who sang for them though.

HarmonyQueen Guest

Innuendo, i think the guitarist's wife sang for them.

Yes Innuendo had Kenny, Frank & me (James) in the line up. The drummer was Davy Alexander and Brenda Chisolm was our first singer (now Kenny's wife). She was replaced by Karen Sinclair who was our singer when we played a lot in the Central.

Kevin were you in Hooligan Soup. I seem to remember a gig in Viewfirth that Innuendo did with them. Chris Nixon was on guitar I think and Ally Manson on bass. James MacVean was the singer and again I can't remember the drummer. (What was it about you guys and skin beaters)

Yeah, I was in Hooligan Soup, took over on bass after Ally left.

Les Taylor on drums, went on to play with Barracuda, now working for Grampian TV doing sound engineering. He's recently joined up with a blues guy from Alaska!! Playing at this year's Orkney Blues Fest!

Quote Originally Posted by Suspects
    Yes Innuendo had Kenny, Frank & me (James) in the line up. The drummer was Davy Alexander and Brenda Chisolm was our first singer (now Kenny's wife). She was replaced by Karen Sinclair who was our singer when we played a lot in the Central.

Kevin were you in Hooligan Soup. I seem to remember a gig in Viewfirth that Innuendo did with them. Chris Nixon was on guitar I think and Ally Manson on bass. James MacVean was the singer and again I can't remember the drummer. (What was it about you guys and skin beaters)
    Kenny also featured in Roadworks during this time (busy man). Line-up was: Jay Gillies - Vocals, Dave Craig (Not the Z-Rox Dave Craig) - Guitar(1), Kenny - Guitar(2), Tommie Robertson - Bass, Pete Keddy - Drums(1) and Duncan McLachlan - Drums (2), (Yes, 2 drummers!!). What a noise . . . . . God, all these names bring back good memories. Someone should write a book about all this!!

Deemac

"Someone should write a book about all this!!"

Don't tempt me.

I hardly know any of the guys you are all speaking about but one name did ring a bell - Johnny Gunn. He was married to my auntie Jennifer Steven but think he recently remarried over in the US. He tried teaching me to play the Z-Cars theme tune on his guitar when I was about 4-5, unfortunately I'm not very musical (only like to think I am when belting out songs along to the car stereo!).....

I was once in the Moonshine rock bar - the night that Goodbye Mr McKenzie were playing in Thurso, but we couldn't get in to see them because we were all underage. Nevertheless we had a cracking good night in the Moonshine and although I can't remember the name of the band I'm sure they were brilliant.

Does anyone know what happened to Huw Roberts who played in Barracuda for a while back in the mid-90s? He was at Thurso tech the same time as me but I haven't seen him for ages and would love to catch up.

Anyone remember Weep/Deep/Shianti ( and several other names....)??
    You get what you give

Quote Originally Posted by SAVEY
    Anyone remember Weep/Deep/Shianti ( and several other names....)??
    Yes; would be fantastic to hear from Paul and Ed again. Do you have contact for them?

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybuffy
    I
    Does anyone know what happened to Huw Roberts who played in Barracuda for a while back in the mid-90s? He was at Thurso tech the same time as me but I haven't seen him for ages and would love to catch up.
    I see Huw now and again. Think he's based in Aberdeen now, and not sure if he still plays drums. A good lad, though, is Huw. Barracuda: I think everyone who played an instrument in Caithness had a stint with them at one point.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast