Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 210

Thread: Caithness Monumental Inscriptions pre 1855

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,003

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maureen View Post
    I have a grandmother buried somewhere in caithness she lived in thurso rd wick her name was Christina and her husband was called james can you help because i am getting nowhere
    hi Maureen

    The Monumental Inscriptions books only list the graves of people born before 1855.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NSW Australia
    Posts
    63

    Default Caithness Monumental Inscriptions pre 1855

    Hi Davie,
    your offer of a look up is just too hard to resist. Thank you in advance. I have Florans/Florence Manson (nee Calder,) she was baptised Dec 1749 in Bower ,daughter of Lourence Calder. She married William Manson(Bridgend) in 1770.( Her daughter Magdalen Innes is buried at Olrig.) I have no idea where they lived and I am at a brickwall . I have downloaded a will from SP for a Lawrence Calder in Moray in 1761 ,husband of Mary Mackintosh. It mentions 3 children but no names or sex.Are any of these names on your lists?Florence had a sister Kaithren c 1747. William I have no information on. I am hoping if I'm lucky enough to have a transcipt of a grave it may give me some clues to follow.
    Thank you again
    Cheers
    Rhandy (Australia)

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,228

    Default

    Rhandy, I had a check in the MIs for Caithness and found nothing, I'm afraid. Do you have the inscription on the Magdalen Innes stone already, btw?

    If you want to see if there is anything on Calders in Moray, have you tried

    http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NSW Australia
    Posts
    63

    Default Monumental Inscriptions pre 1855

    Hi Davie,
    thank you for looking for me. I went to the link and it gave me Lawrence
    and Mary. Might be mine, but no Florence, but will keep it...just in case. Magdalen's grave I have a photo of as Jamie S was kind enough to send me lots of piccis of it. Kingetter sent me piccis of where she was born at Tansfield. I am getting quite a collection. The only marriage I can find for Lauarence (sic) Calder in Kentown? is to Kathren Calder from Strath of Bylbther? July 4 1730.
    Thanks again Davie.Cheers
    Rhandy

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sweet Home, Oregon USA
    Posts
    99

    Default Margaret Harper Farquhar

    Davie,

    Thank you for offering! I'm looking for a grave/death date for Alexander Farquhar b. 23 August 1835. Latheron, and his wife Margaret Harper Farquhar, unknown birthdate and place. I have no clue when either of them died. I would appreciate any help you could give me.

    Thank you.

    Bonnie Parker-Duke

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Rotterdam Netherlands
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Hi we found hereunder but as we are looking for pre John Mac Donald buried here born 1753 died march 3 1840 hoping you can help.
    Ronald Mac Donald

    Research into the background of William MacDonald of Navidale, one of the heroes of the Land League, through Census records and parish registers finally linked three tombstones, two at Dalnawillan and one at Kildonan. William's father, John, and his grandfather, John Macdonald of Achscoroclate, a noted Caithness cattle drover, are buried at Dalnawillan. Grandfather Macdonald was married to Barbara Gordon, a daughter, of Alexander Gordon, tacksman of Dalcharn, and his wife Isabella Sutherland and of the Strathuilligh Sutherlands. Barbara Gordon had a sister, Ann, who married John Gordon of Saluschraiggie. Later Ann possessed a sheep farm in Caithness. Her daughter, Isabella, was William Macdonald's mother so that his parents were cousins. A tombstone at Kildonan records William's great grandparents - the tacksman of Dalcharn and his Sutherland wife: on the same stone is William's mother Isabella. Sage in Memorabilia Domestica recounts how Ann Gordon made tea by putting a pound of tea into a gallon of water and seasoning it with butter, pepper and salt.

  7. #107

    Default Brocks in Thurso

    If the offer of help is still there, I would love to know where any Brocks from Thurso are buried. I have actually visited St Peters and Mt Vernon in Thurso and got a few clues, but perhaps I missed a few... I don't know if there are any other cemetaries in Thurso.

  8. #108

    Default

    Caithness Family History Society (CFHS) is at present working with the Scottish Family History Society (SFHS) on a project to transcrible all memorials in Scotland.
    The CFHS has just printed our first booklet, this transcribes all the memorials in the Keiss first cemetery, which is available in local outlets. Our next will be printed shortly on Watten's first cemetery. Our aim is to have in print the transcriptions of all Caithness memorials.

  9. #109

    Default

    I am looking for Kennedy ancestors in Canisbay, does your MI book list any Kennedys near or in Canisbay area, or Olrig, or Brabster parishes? If so I would be most interested as according to a genealogist records cease in the area before 1760 and it's this period 1760-1800 I am looking for.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sweet Home, Oregon USA
    Posts
    99

    Default David Harper

    Davie,

    I am looking for the grave of David Harper b. 5 Feb 1799 in Wick and died sometime between the 1841 and 1851 censuses. He was farming at Bilbster at the time of his death. His wife was Barbara Robertson Harper but she and her family emigrated to Canada after David's death. I'm looking for David's death date and any other information available and am wondering if you can tell who may be buried near him. I'm looking for possibly children of a previous marriage of either him or his wife as the 1851 census lists grandchildren who are listed as McBeath and Sutherland but I have no idea who their parents were.

    I'd appreciate any assistance.

    Bonnie Parker-Duke
    Magnolia, Arkansas

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vanessajw View Post
    I am looking for Kennedy ancestors in Canisbay, does your MI book list any Kennedys near or in Canisbay area, or Olrig, or Brabster parishes? If so I would be most interested as according to a genealogist records cease in the area before 1760 and it's this period 1760-1800 I am looking for.
    A few Kennedys in Canisbay, mostly wives, but none with birth dates before 1801 that I can find. One in Olrig but after 1800.

    Some of those in Canisbay are from Brabster.

    You want to give names?

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie Parker-Duke View Post
    Davie,

    I am looking for the grave of David Harper b. 5 Feb 1799 in Wick and died sometime between the 1841 and 1851 censuses. He was farming at Bilbster at the time of his death. His wife was Barbara Robertson Harper but she and her family emigrated to Canada after David's death. I'm looking for David's death date and any other information available and am wondering if you can tell who may be buried near him. I'm looking for possibly children of a previous marriage of either him or his wife as the 1851 census lists grandchildren who are listed as McBeath and Sutherland but I have no idea who their parents were.

    I'd appreciate any assistance.

    Bonnie Parker-Duke
    Magnolia, Arkansas
    The only David Harpers in Wick Old Cemetery are outwith the 1841-1851 dates, I'm afraid.

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sweet Home, Oregon USA
    Posts
    99

    Default Thanks!

    Thank you anyway. It was a stab in the dark!

    Bonnie

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Rotterdam Netherlands
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davie View Post
    I have just got 4 volumes of listings for (I think) all cemetaries in Caithness so if anyone needs to check out where and when their ancestors are buried let me know and I'll try to help.
    hi davie hope you van help !!!!Iam looking for as quoted hereunder !!!

    we found hereunder but as we are looking for pre John Mac Donald buried here born 1753 died march 3 1840 hoping you can help.
    Ronald Mac Donald


    Research into the background of William MacDonald of Navidale, one of the heroes of the Land League, through Census records and parish registers finally linked three tombstones, two at Dalnawillan and one at Kildonan. William's father, John, and his grandfather, John Macdonald of Achscoroclate, a noted Caithness cattle drover, are buried at Dalnawillan. Grandfather Macdonald was married to Barbara Gordon, a daughter, of Alexander Gordon, tacksman of Dalcharn, and his wife Isabella Sutherland and of the Strathuilligh Sutherlands. Barbara Gordon had a sister, Ann, who married John Gordon of Saluschraiggie. Later Ann possessed a sheep farm in Caithness. Her daughter, Isabella, was William Macdonald's mother so that his parents were cousins. A tombstone at Kildonan records William's great grandparents - the tacksman of Dalcharn and his Sutherland wife: on the same stone is William's mother Isabella.

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Hi Davie, it's really nice of you to make the offer.

    If you have the Thurso edition, I am interested in the following:
    Donald MILLER, who died in 1833 in Thurso, probably in his 60s or 70s, he was a shipmaster. I don't know who his parents were, it would be nice if it was conveniently mentioned on his grave

    Donald's wife was Esther NICOL, b.1767, and I haven't been able to find a death for her, but as she was on the '51 census I think she may have died between 1851 and 1855.

    I don't know when Donald NICOL and Elspet NICOL nee SWANSON died, it could be anywhere from 1807 onwards. Also, Peter MURRAY and Margaret MURRAY nee CAMBPELL, anytime from 1815 onwards.

    Thank you so much in advance.

    Kristy

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NSW Australia
    Posts
    63

    Default Caithness Monumental Inscriptions pre 1855

    Hi Davie,

    thank you for your kind gesture for look ups. I have quite a few missing, but I will start with this one. John McBeath b 1766 Wick married Elizabeth Sinclair 1797,Wick, have never found them on census or at SP. 2 children, James who migrated to Australia and Alexander b 1808, who I also can't find. I have lots of Sinclairs, Innes, Manson and Calders too. Sad to say the Australian line of Mcbeath has died out I think, as of 7 children, only 2 boys, one never married and I've lost the other.
    Thanks again, Happy Hogmanay.

    Cheers
    Rhandy

  17. #117

    Default Gillespie/Mackay

    Quote Originally Posted by davie View Post
    I have just got 4 volumes of listings for (I think) all cemetaries in Caithness so if anyone needs to check out where and when their ancestors are buried let me know and I'll try to help.
    Dave if you are still giving your help with regard to the listings for the Caithness cemetaries, I would greatly appreciate your looking for the Gillespie/Mackay families and I think it is Joseph Gillespie m Margaret Mackay around 1790 so probable deaths pre 1840 Reay or Wick.

    Averil

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    49

    Question John Manson,b1831 & Helen Nicolson,b.1826

    Davie,
    Can't remember if I asked you this before but the above John, died 2/1/1913 at Myrelandhorne,Wick and Helen died Myrelandhorne, 1911.
    Any chance of finding there lair? Thank you,Bill.

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kristy_mac8 View Post
    Hi Davie, it's really nice of you to make the offer.

    If you have the Thurso edition, I am interested in the following:
    Donald MILLER, who died in 1833 in Thurso, probably in his 60s or 70s, he was a shipmaster. I don't know who his parents were, it would be nice if it was conveniently mentioned on his grave

    Donald's wife was Esther NICOL, b.1767, and I haven't been able to find a death for her, but as she was on the '51 census I think she may have died between 1851 and 1855.
    Any of that any use to you?

    I don't know when Donald NICOL and Elspet NICOL nee SWANSON died, it could be anywhere from 1807 onwards. Also, Peter MURRAY and Margaret MURRAY nee CAMBPELL, anytime from 1815 onwards.

    Thank you so much in advance.

    Kristy
    In St Peter's Churchyard in Thurso, grave no 73 says (Table Stone) Don Miller, Shipowner, 31.1.1835, 72, erected by family: this burying ground belongs to And Nicol

    The next grave is a Flat Stone with the initials DN ES 1800

    And the next says (Table Stone-worn) Don Miller master sloop Alexander, Thurso []8.7.1826, 65: Don miller Ritchie 8.1828 4 mths; Margaret Miller 8.[....], 11 (father john Miller, shipmaster); [Margt?] Miller 13.8.1852, 25 years 5 months(father Don Miller, shipowner)

    Only checked the Thurso book for the Murrays, and no luck, but will look at the others later in the day.

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhandy View Post
    Hi Davie,

    thank you for your kind gesture for look ups. I have quite a few missing, but I will start with this one. John McBeath b 1766 Wick married Elizabeth Sinclair 1797,Wick, have never found them on census or at SP. 2 children, James who migrated to Australia and Alexander b 1808, who I also can't find. I have lots of Sinclairs, Innes, Manson and Calders too. Sad to say the Australian line of Mcbeath has died out I think, as of 7 children, only 2 boys, one never married and I've lost the other.
    Thanks again, Happy Hogmanay.

    Cheers
    Rhandy
    Sorry, Rhandy...not a lot of McBeaths/MacBeths, so I checked all the books and no sign of your John and Elizabeth , I'm afraid.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •