Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Caithness Monumental Inscriptions pre 1855

Hello Davie,
    I am trying to trace the Siblings of my GG grandfather William Sutherland b 1814 Watten. His parents were John Sutherland and Jannet (Janet) Murray. They had 8 children as follows: Margaret Sutherland Baptised Nov 21 1800, Bylbster : Magnus Sutherland Baptised Mar. 21 1802, Bylbster: E Sutherland (female) Baptised Sept. 06, 1803:Mary Sutherland Baptised Feb. 09, 1806,Tails of Watten: Jannet/Janet Sutherland baptised Feb 15, 1808 East Watten: Margaret Sutherland Baptised May 23 , 1810, East Watten; ?Jane Sutherland Baptised Nov. 15, 1812: William Sutherland Baptised Aug. 11, 1814 Park of Cogill.

I have checked the Watten Cemetary and was unable to find any inscriptions that match any of the children. My gg grandfather William I have traced to Canada. In his discharge papers he indicated he would reside in Wick, however he ended up in Toronto Canada where he had served for a number of years before his retirement. It has occured to me that if he had contemplated in living in Wick, then perhaps some of his siblings may have lived there.
    I attended Watten to search the cemetary with out any luck in September of this year. I did not have time to check the cemeteries in Wick. Would you be able to assist with my search?
    Thank you, Best regards,
    Harley Sutherland

Quote Originally Posted by harley View Post
    Hello Davie,
    I am trying to trace the Siblings of my GG grandfather William Sutherland b 1814 Watten. His parents were John Sutherland and Jannet (Janet) Murray. They had 8 children as follows: Margaret Sutherland Baptised Nov 21 1800, Bylbster : Magnus Sutherland Baptised Mar. 21 1802, Bylbster: E Sutherland (female) Baptised Sept. 06, 1803:Mary Sutherland Baptised Feb. 09, 1806,Tails of Watten: Jannet/Janet Sutherland baptised Feb 15, 1808 East Watten: Margaret Sutherland Baptised May 23 , 1810, East Watten; ?Jane Sutherland Baptised Nov. 15, 1812: William Sutherland Baptised Aug. 11, 1814 Park of Cogill.

I have checked the Watten Cemetary and was unable to find any inscriptions that match any of the children. My gg grandfather William I have traced to Canada. In his discharge papers he indicated he would reside in Wick, however he ended up in Toronto Canada where he had served for a number of years before his retirement. It has occured to me that if he had contemplated in living in Wick, then perhaps some of his siblings may have lived there.

I attended Watten to search the cemetary with out any luck in September of this year. I did not have time to check the cemeteries in Wick. Would you be able to assist with my search?
    Thank you, Best regards,
    Harley Sutherland
    The MIs only have the Wick Parish Church inscriptions and I had a look through my photos of the old part of the Municipal Cemetery, and haven't come across a Magnus of about the right age..but then I'm only about a third of the way through the Municipal one photo-wise. Plenty Sutherland females in both cemeteries, but none which are date-wise very obvious. (though ages on the stones aren't necessarily very reliable.) Their married names would be useful, as would Magnus's wife's name, as I could look through all the rest of the books on the off-chance they were buried elsewhere.

You may find this site useful..it has photos and names from both the Old and New Municipal Cemeteries on it. http://www.gravestonephotos.com/publ...ess&country=Sc

Quote Originally Posted by suseh1 View Post
    Hi Davie

have been searching for the death date of William Macdonald a tailor In Reay Caithness. He was married to a janet gunn in 1803 in Reay and she was a widow when she died in 1856 in Reay so william must have died before then. They had at least one child Alexander Macdonald who was born in Reay in 1804. I would appreciate you checking your records to see if there is any record of William

thanks Susan
    Ooops. Missed this one. I checked the whole of the MI book containing the Reay Cemeteries, and nothing, I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Irenef View Post
    HI
    I would be very grateful if you can help with Inscriptions of HUME at DU3 5, 16, 17, 18 and NR9 101. I have been trying to track Hume in Caithness and not had any luck so far. I wondered where they had originally come from. thank you Irenef
    Missed this one as well, sorry!

The Hume in New Reay is an entry on the stone of Hugh Farquhar and Johan Henderson. The main face of the stone is online.....the thumbnail to it is about halfway down http://www.oddquine.co.uk/gravestone...estones35a.htm and the side inscription which hasn't been photographed is .....son David Mackay, died Brubster 13.3.1956 aged 67, wife Isabella Hume died 20.9.1968 aged 83.

Those in Old Dunn are
    5 - William Murray, farmer South Dene, died 7.11.1935 aged 90 wife Margaret Hume, died 28.2.1933 aged 81, daughter Annie Waters died 27.5.1937 aged 51, son Donald farmer, died 2.5.1964 aged 78.

16 -Alexander Hume, died 28.1.1863 aged 9, brother James, died 3.2.1863 aged 6, stone erected by father Alexander

17-Catherine Gunn died Paddockfield, Watten, 2.11.1928 aged79, husband William Hume died 7.12.1929 aged 80, son William James died 10.5.1905 aged 26, daughter Annie Waters died 17.8.1949 aged 64 son George died 2.7.1950 aged 61.

18 - John Hume, wife Catherine Robertson, both died 17.2.1926 aged 81, daughter Elizabeth Ann Campbell died 26.5.1878 aged 8.

Edited to say, that I'm thinking that in 1841/1851 they were not Hume, but Ham......because they turn up out of the blue in the 1861 census, if you check out FreeCen..and the Ham's in Watten in the previous two censuses disappear. If you check the two lots of entries against each other, they do appear to be the same people....so it kinda looks as if the Watten Humes were originally Hams.
    Last edited by Oddquine; 21-Dec-12 at 15:39.

Thanks Davie. Unfortunately I only have the information I supplied. I will check out the site you supplied.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    the manson oman reference are my grandfather annd granny i think i can tell you more
    Hi, I am from SA, and my dad married a granddaugther of Robert McKenzie Manson & Jane/Janet Oman. I am trying to do the family tree for the Manson's. Anonymous, can you help? Mathilda

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson Manson View Post
    Davie,

I was just going through your posts and saw the above. I am quite sure that the people mentioned are my grandfathers parents. He was born George Manson on June 21 1889 in Framside. The birth was registered in Halkirk on July 6, 1889. in the parish records I believe.
    His parents are listed as Robert Manson, quarry labourer and Jane Manson (Oman), who were married in Halkirk on September 3rd, 1880.
    What I'm curious about is you mentioned a son, Nicholas. Did your sourse mention any other children? Also, do you know of any other online sources that I might use to trace further back.

Regards,

Robinson
    Hi Robinson, my stepmom is a granddaugther of Robert McKenzie & Jane/Jean Oman. You want to exchange information?
    Regards
    Mathilda

Apologies for taking so long to get back to you. I haven't checked for some time! Thank you very much for all the information. I have had a look at the Ham family and would tend to agree with your conclusion. I have had a look at the Ham surname origin and wondered why the family would change it to Hume rather than perhaps Hame. I had always assumed they would have come from Orkney as some of the family moved there in 19C. However, it appears as if they are rooted in Caithness. I had a look at an online version of Parish Registers and there appears to be certainly one family of Ham in 17C -18C in a number of areas: Cannisbay etc. Thank you again, I really appreciate the help. Irene

Are you still interested in the Meiklejohns, I have some interesting information if you are.

Michael Moss

Hi davie, this is William Innes in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Do you have any listings for the name INNES that go as far back as 1680.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011