Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Caithness Monumental Inscriptions pre 1855

Default re Donald Bain

Hi,thanks for trying Oddquine, I know its a nightmare, but very much appreciated. This is all I have, Margaret Bain married at Wick December 1854 Daughter of the deceased Donald Bain to Roderick Ross, Gamekeeper, both of Stirkoke, they are on the 1861 census in Wick, Roderick is 35 , Margaret is 30 with a son William age 10 if his age is right then he must have been born before they married and I don't know were the name William came from as I'm almost certain Rodericks Father was John and John is the second son age 5, Daughter Isabella age 3 and an infant 1mnth who I believe is Donald.by 1871 they are living at Westerdale Roderick is 41 Margaret 38 no William or John Isabella is 12, Donald 10 Roderick 8, James 6 and Catherine 2. I know the Family that you where looking at as that was the line I was going down untill I found their marriage and the deceased Donald, I think this Catherine was named after Rodericks Mother, don't worry if you can't find anythig, I'll just keep trying they can't stay hidden forever,can they?Many thanks Flora

Hi Davie,
    Could you help me find a Donald and Esther Horne. I think they are buried at Wick.
    Donald died after 1861 sometime.
    Thanks Cameron

Default Ann Polson 1791 - 1864 Kildonan Sutherland

Any chance you could check for any monumental inscriptions for Ann Polson Nee Murray (Death 28 Mar 1864) Kildonan Widow of Donald Polson.
    Also Donald Born abt 1780 (husband of the above) death date unknown but aft 1841 bef 1864
    Thanks Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Horne View Post
    Hi Davie,
    Could you help me find a Donald and Esther Horne. I think they are buried at Wick.
    Donald died after 1861 sometime.
    Thanks Cameron
    Sorry, they're not any of the Hornes who are in the MI Books..which doesn't mean they are not buried in Wick........just not in the Parish Church Cemetery with a gravestone.

Quote Originally Posted by bungleina View Post
    Any chance you could check for any monumental inscriptions for Ann Polson Nee Murray (Death 28 Mar 1864) Kildonan Widow of Donald Polson.
    Also Donald Born abt 1780 (husband of the above) death date unknown but aft 1841 bef 1864
    Thanks Lynn
    Checked out Polson, and can't find anything, I'm afraid.

Hey,
    Can you look up the Transcription Numbers for 30,165,194,197,198,199,201,224,285,350,465. In the cemetry of Latheron (LA2). I believe they are all McGregors and am hoping to track information of my ancestors I think are burried there; Hugh and Margaret (nee Henderson) McGregor. Can you give me some information as to who the other McGregors are and which numbers are Hugh and Margaret's?

Quote Originally Posted by Marzi88 View Post
    Hey,
    Can you look up the Transcription Numbers for 30,165,194,197,198,199,201,224,285,350,465. In the cemetry of Latheron (LA2). I believe they are all McGregors and am hoping to track information of my ancestors I think are burried there; Hugh and Margaret (nee Henderson) McGregor. Can you give me some information as to who the other McGregors are and which numbers are Hugh and Margaret's?

I think it might be easier for me if you looked at http://www.graven-images.org.uk/

A photo and transcription of every stone....and a search facility.

Smile caithness monumental inscriptions

Davie, Do you have any record of the family of Robert Grant of Dunbeath. He had a daughter Christina (Christian) who married in 1811 to Andrew Weir in Edinburgh. Hope you can help, many thanks. Miegunyah

Quote Originally Posted by miegunyah View Post
    Davie, Do you have any record of the family of Robert Grant of Dunbeath. He had a daughter Christina (Christian) who married in 1811 to Andrew Weir in Edinburgh. Hope you can help, many thanks. Miegunyah
    Nothing in the MIs for a Robert Grant, of an age to have a daughter married in 1811, in the Cemeteries in Latheron parish, I'm afraid.

Can't look for family because I don't have names to look for..though there are a fair few Grants in Caithness Cemeteries..and a fair few Cemeteries in Caithness.

Default GRANTS of Dunbeath

Thank you for the 'look up'. IGI has a Christian Grant daughter of Robert Grant and Janet Gun, born 10 Dec 1783, Watten, Caithness. First child was called Janet. If I find out more data, I'll ask again.

Smile

Hi davie,
    Do you have any information on grave sites for "Horne".
    You can contact me on carcam@bigpond.com.au
    thanks Cameron

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Horne View Post
    Hi davie,
    Do you have any information on grave sites for "Horne".
    You can contact me on carcam@bigpond.com.au
    thanks Cameron
    Mentions of or stones of Horn/Horne on one stone in St Peter's Thurso, one in Dirlot, three in Halkirk, one in Tout-Na-Goul, two in Berriedale New, one in Mid-Clyth, one in Canisbay, one in Canisbay Extension, seven in Wick Old, one in Keiss and two in Watten.

But all that means is there is no stone, not that there has not been a burial..but to check further, you'd need lair details from the Council.

Happy to check for specific Christian names or surnames with dates.

Default Grant Family from Watten and Latheron

Davie, Some time ago I wrote asking about cemetery inscriptions for Robert Grant of Dunbeath. I now know he is part of a family starting from James Grant born about 1700; next generation, William c 18 Oct 1730, Watten; next generation - 3 children, all Latheron, Elizabeth c Nov 1757, Robert c 16 Mar 1760, Donald c 12 Sep 1762. Robert from Dunbeath married Janet Gun in about 1780. They had three children, Elizabeth c 14 Nov 1780 married William Sutherland 5 Jan 1803 Latheron, Christian c 10 Dec 1783, Watten, married Andrew Weir (Whyir) in Edinburgh 1811 and John c 4 Feb 1787, Latheron, married Ann Sutherland 22 Nov 1811 Latheron. Do any of these names appear in your list of cemetery inscriptions? Thank you

Davie, Some time ago I wrote asking about cemetery inscriptions for Robert Grant of Dunbeath. I now know he is part of a family starting from James Grant born about 1700; next generation, William c 18 Oct 1730, Watten; next generation - 3 children, all Latheron, Elizabeth c Nov 1757, Robert c 16 Mar 1760, Donald c 12 Sep 1762. Robert from Dunbeath married Janet Gun in about 1780. They had three children, Elizabeth c 14 Nov 1780 married William Sutherland 5 Jan 1803 Latheron, Christian c 10 Dec 1783, Watten, married Andrew Weir (Whyir) in Edinburgh 1811 and John c 4 Feb 1787, Latheron, married Ann Sutherland 22 Nov 1811 Latheron. Do any of these names appear in your list of cemetery inscriptions? Thank you
    I can only find two with reasonable dates anywhere in the MIs, I'm afraid......

There is an Elizabeth Grant, died 11th July 1843 aged 61 in Latheron Old married to William Sutherland, Navidale, Sutherlandshire, died 23rd Feb 1860 aged 83. Stone erected by sons John and Donald. May well be a photo on http://www.graven-images.org.uk/

There is a stone in Tout-na-goul erected to Ann Sutherland, died 26th August 1854 aged 66 by husband John Grant, tenant Newlands, Dunbeath.

Either of these any use to you?

Smile Grants of Dunbeath etc

Thank you, both inscriptions were of interest. Is there an photo of the stone to Ann Sutherland 1854 in Tout-na-goul. I assume this cemetery is in Dunbeath.

Thank you, both inscriptions were of interest. Is there an photo of the stone to Ann Sutherland 1854 in Tout-na-goul. I assume this cemetery is in Dunbeath.
    Tout-na-goul is off the beaten bus track.....off the A9 up the Houstry road and near Dunbeath Water..about three miles and not handy if you have no transport. I don't know of any photos of gravestones from there.

I always live in hopes of getting a biddable visitor with a car, as there are a few off the beaten track cemeteries in which I'd like to take photos of the stones. But I don't get many who are prepared to hang about while I do that, particularly if it means crossing fences/fields or driving a car up a rough track. Cemeteries in places where they can wander off and explore villages/shop are different.

Default william macdonald Reay

Hi Davie

have been searching for the death date of William Macdonald a tailor In Reay Caithness. He was married to a janet gunn in 1803 in Reay and she was a widow when she died in 1856 in Reay so william must have died before then. They had at least one child Alexander Macdonald who was born in Reay in 1804. I would appreciate you checking your records to see if there is any record of William

thanks Susan

Default pre 1750 achscoraclate/dalnawillan

hi dave
    looking for pre 1750 parents of john mac donald .I visited dalnawillan lodge and the burial site.John Mac Donald was buried and born I guess in Aschoraclate and later reburied by his son john near dalnawillan lodge.

descendants of John MacDonald
    Generation No. 1

1. JOHN1 MACDONALD was bornAbt. 1752 in Scotland, and died March 3, 1840 in Caithness,
    Scotland. He
    married (1) ANN ROSS August4, 1778 in Halkirk, Caithness, Scotland. She was born Abt. 1757. He married
    (2) BARBARA GORDON Abt. 1790,daughter of ALEXANDER GORDON and ISABELLA SUTHERLAND. She was
    born Abt. 1764 in Scotland,and died May 24, 1850 in Pickering, Canada.

More About JOHN MACDONALD:
    Burial: Dalnawillan,Caithness, Scotland, No.4 Table Slab. John McDonald, Achscoraclate

3.3.1840, 88, s
    John ed s Gordon, ('CaithnessMonumental Inscriptions, Volume 3', eds. A. S. Cowper and I. Ross)
    Occupation: "Tacksmanfrom 1790-1806 at Dalwillan, 1802 Scarclet, 1804 Scoraclate. He was a

noted
    highland drover."(Memorabilia Domestica or Parish life in the North of Scotland by Rev. Donald

3. ALEXANDER2 MACDONALD(JOHN1) was born September 12, 1800 in Dalnawillan, Caithness, Scotland,
    and died November 14, 1870in Coronie, Suriname. He met (1) SOPHIA VAN BUNSCHOTEN Bef. 1827 in
    Nickerie,Suriname. She was born May 5, 1809 in Sealand, Nickerie, Suriname, and diedMarch 4, 1853

unquote

Quote Originally Posted by RPMACCOE View Post
    hi dave
    looking for pre 1750 parents of john mac donald .I visited dalnawillan lodge and the burial site.John Mac Donald was buried and born I guess in Aschoraclate and later reburied by his son john near dalnawillan lodge.

descendants of John MacDonald
    Generation No. 1

1. JOHN1 MACDONALD was bornAbt. 1752 in Scotland, and died March 3, 1840 in Caithness,
    Scotland. He
    married (1) ANN ROSS August4, 1778 in Halkirk, Caithness, Scotland. She was born Abt. 1757. He married
    (2) BARBARA GORDON Abt. 1790,daughter of ALEXANDER GORDON and ISABELLA SUTHERLAND. She was
    born Abt. 1764 in Scotland,and died May 24, 1850 in Pickering, Canada.

More About JOHN MACDONALD:
    Burial: Dalnawillan,Caithness, Scotland, No.4 Table Slab. John McDonald, Achscoraclate

3.3.1840, 88, s
    John ed s Gordon, ('CaithnessMonumental Inscriptions, Volume 3', eds. A. S. Cowper and I. Ross)
    Occupation: "Tacksmanfrom 1790-1806 at Dalwillan, 1802 Scarclet, 1804 Scoraclate. He was a

noted
    highland drover."(Memorabilia Domestica or Parish life in the North of Scotland by Rev. Donald

3. ALEXANDER2 MACDONALD(JOHN1) was born September 12, 1800 in Dalnawillan, Caithness, Scotland,
    and died November 14, 1870in Coronie, Suriname. He met (1) SOPHIA VAN BUNSCHOTEN Bef. 1827 in
    Nickerie,Suriname. She was born May 5, 1809 in Sealand, Nickerie, Suriname, and diedMarch 4, 1853

unquote
    One I'm interested in myself.....though more his siblings and close connections......but nothing obvious in the MIs, I'm afraid. My own MacDonalds turn up with a 1785 marriage in Strath of Dunbeath.....and I have never found them anywhere for sure before that..which is why I poke about in all Caithness MacDonalds between doing other things. Think I might have spoken to you before.

Davy himself has long stopped doing this, btw......it is generally whoever picks up the post first and has the MIs to hand who responds.....often me, but not always.

HI
    I would be very grateful if you can help with Inscriptions of HUME at DU3 5, 16, 17, 18 and NR9 101. I have been trying to track Hume in Caithness and not had any luck so far. I wondered where they had originally come from. thank you Irenef

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast