Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Caithness Monumental Inscriptions pre 1855

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by cathy.wilson35 View Post
    Hello,

I am looking for William Bain (1785- ) and Margaret Bruce (1782- ), from Wick,Caithness. Their children were;

- John Bain (1813 – 1887)
    - David Bain (1814 – )
    - Catherine Bain (1816 – )
    - Margaret Bain (1819 – )
    - Janet Bain (1822 – )

I have the parents of William being;

- John Bain (1751 - )
    - Elizabeth McBeath (1759 – 1854)

And I have the parents of Margaret as;

- David Bruce
    - Katherine Bruce
    Looked in all books for William Bain and Margaret Bruce and John Bain and Elizabeth McBeath...nothing, sorry.

Thank you for trying

Hi Davie

Do you have a burial location for Henry Osbourne and wife Christina? He was the keeper of the Wick Gaol.

Also do you have any Robertsons on the burials?

Quote Originally Posted by sjaneo85 View Post
    Hi Davie

Do you have a burial location for Henry Osbourne and wife Christina? He was the keeper of the Wick Gaol.

Also do you have any Robertsons on the burials?
    Three Osborne gravestones in Wick Old (Parish Church) Graveyard. As far as I can see the only ones in the MIs.

Two flat stones with just Henry Osborne on them (possibly grave markers) and next door to them

Erected Henry Osborne imo eldest son Thomas 30.3.1836 aged 8 and Henry b 30.9.1837 d 19.3.1868

and also flat stone

Janet Doull 3.7.1778, 82, husband late Mr Osborne merchant Domenica, erected niece Margaret Doull, London (cousin Ben Doull 1851)

More Robertsons over four books than I am prepared to sit and copy out without a bit more information as to places and/or names/dates. Sorry.

Thanks for the info re Osbournes. Have since found out our Robertson was not actually born in Caithness as was written down, he only lived there for a bit before he emmigrated to NZ

Default Donald Bain

Hi, do you have an inscription for a Donald Bain, Possibly Wick Died Before late December 1854, the father of Margaret Bain I don't have an exact birth for Margaret other than she is said to be 30 on the 1861 census for FreeCEN, she may have been born about 1824 as was her husband, going by the baby naming rule their first Daughter was Isabella so Donalds Wife may have been Isabella. Margaret was said to be born Wick when Married.Many thanks, keep up the good work, Flora

Quote Originally Posted by flora View Post
    Hi, do you have an inscription for a Donald Bain, Possibly Wick Died Before late December 1854, the father of Margaret Bain I don't have an exact birth for Margaret other than she is said to be 30 on the 1861 census for FreeCEN, she may have been born about 1824 as was her husband, going by the baby naming rule their first Daughter was Isabella so Donalds Wife may have been Isabella. Margaret was said to be born Wick when Married.Many thanks, keep up the good work, Flora
    Plenty Donald Bains in Wick Old, but mostly just names without dates.....and where there is information, there are no Isabellas. Out of interest, if you think they used Scottish naming patterns, was Margaret Bain's second son Donald?

Don't suppose you know Donald's occupation, do you? Some stones give that. Dates, where there are any, vary from 1782 to 1859 and later. Got a Donald Bain, mason who died in 1852.....but that is the sum of the info given.

There are Bains in just about every cemetery in Caithness...but too many to check into without a bit more information..and definitely too many to copy out on spec.

Had a quick look on 1841 Freecen for Caithness parishes to see if I could get any pointers as to other names to look for, and there is only one Margaret Bain of about the right age in the uploaded lists with a father called Donald, but her mother was Catherine, and that Donald died in 1856. There are, however a couple of servants of 20+ who are not at home so no idea of father's name.

Sorry I can't be of more help......but happy to look again if you can give more definite info to make it less of a slog.