Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Caithness Monumental Inscriptions pre 1855

Default Caithness Monuments Inscriptions

Hi
    Where do you buy the above. I am in Australia have lots of ancestors on family tree from Caithness. I thought if I was able to get a copy it may help my research. Are they available on cd or in books. I am looking for Clynes, Millers, and hoped the above may help my research.
    thanks for reading email
    Lynn ps my mum living with me is a Clyne
    Located in Australia

Default Re: Sutherland - Dunbeath, Latheron, Caithness, Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by breakfree
    id love to hear form anyone that might be able to tell me anything about John and Janet or their descendants.

cheers
    Richard Anderson
    John and Janet married 8th Feb 1856 in Dunbeath when he was 30 and she was 24.
    Johns parents were David Sutherland and Margaret Gunn, they married 16 March 1821
    and lived at Achavroal Dunbeath.

Here is the 1841 census for the household:

District: 5 Folio: 0 Page: 8
    Address: Achvroal

SUTHD. David M 44 Farmer Caithness
    SUTHD. Margt. F 42 Caithness
    SUTHD. Jane F 17 Caithness
    SUTHD. John M 15 Caithness
    SUTHD. Margt. F 13 Caithness
    SUTHD. James M 11 Caithness
    SUTHD. Donald M 6 Caithness
    SUTHD. Jemima F 2 Caithness

In the 1861 census David and Margaret and their daughter Margaret still lived there along with a Mary 20 and a William 7.

hugh ross Guest

Lynn
    You can get them from Amazon. Search for Caithness Monumental

Hi Lynn
    Caithness Monumental Inscriptions (Pre-1855): Vol 1 , 2, 3 and 4
    by A.S. Cowper, I. Ross

I found this site in Australia which has the 4 vols listed but don't know how the price compares with UK. http://www.gould.com.au/

Scottish Monumental Inscriptions Pre-1855 Caithness Vol. 1
    A. Cowper | Book | 142pp | 1992 | SCG017 | $29.50
    Burial Grounds covered are: Canisbay, Canisbay Extension, Dunnet, Corsback, Olrig, Bower.
    Scottish Monumental Inscriptions Pre-1855 Caithness Vol. 2
    A. Cowper & I. Ross | Book | 184pp | 1992 | SCG018 | $35.00
    Burial Grounds covered are: Wick (Old), Keiss, Thrumster, Ulbster, Watten, Dunn (Old Hall).
    Scottish Monumental Inscriptions Pre-1855 Caithness Vol. 3
    A. Cowper & I. Ross | Book | 152pp | 1992 | SCG019 | $25.00
    Burial Grounds covered are: Brims, Thurso (St Peter's Church), Trostan (Westfield), Crosskirk, Reay (Old), Reay (New), Achreny, Dalnawillan, Dirlot, Dorrery, Halkirk, Spittal (St Magnus), Skinnet, Westerdale.
    Scottish Monumental Inscriptions Pre-1855 Caithness Vol. 4
    A. Cowper & I. Ross | Book | 120pp | 1992 | SCG020 | $25.00
    Burial Grounds covered are: Latherton (Old), Berridale (Old), Berridale (New), Braemore, Tout-Na-Goul, Mullbuie, Mid Clyth, Camster, Ballachly, St Triduana.

UK : www.Amazon.co.uk have them to order at £5.50 or £6.00 per book plus postage.

Tricia

Quote Originally Posted by davie
    I have just got 4 volumes of listings for (I think) all cemetaries in Caithness so if anyone needs to check out where and when their ancestors are buried let me know and I'll try to help.
    Hi Davie

Do the listings show any Harpers or Banks. I am looking for a Donald Harper died 10/3/1887 aged 78. His wife Janet Banks died 22/2/1884 aged 75. Donald's parents were Donald Harper & Elizabeth Forbes. Janets parenst were Mangus Banks & Isabella Leith. Any info would be fab
    Last edited by maria; 06-Mar-06 at 15:51.

Quote Originally Posted by maria
    Hi Davie

Do the listings show any Harpers or Banks. I am looking for a Donald Harper died 10/3/1887 aged 78. His wife Janet Banks died 22/2/1884 aged 75. Donald's parents were Donald Harper & Elizabeth Forbes. Janets parenst were Mangus Banks & Isabella Leith. Any info would be fab
    I don't know that Davie is still around Maria, he hasn't posted since 2002.

I can't find Donald or Janet in the Monumental Inscriptions for Wick, I have them on the 1841, 1851 and 1881 census returns if that would help.

Quote Originally Posted by fred
    I don't know that Davie is still around Maria, he hasn't posted since 2002.

I can't find Donald or Janet in the Monumental Inscriptions for Wick, I have them on the 1841, 1851 and 1881 census returns if that would help.
    Hi Fred

Thank you for looking in the Monumental Inscription, pity they are not there. The census information would be great.

Many thanks
    Maria

Davie, I wonder if your listings could solve a problem I am stuck over. John Bremner (Brimner) married a Catherine Bain in 1804 and had 4 children between 1805 and 1811. Later ie 1812 a John Bremner (with son Alexander ) was the husband of Henrietta Sinclair but with no word of what had happened to Catherine and the 3 younger childen Janet, Donald and John.

They were living in Sarclet or Wick town. Would you have a listing for Catherine and the children.

I am holding my breath.

Regards Marion

Default Janet Campbell M.I.

Hi,

I wondered if you could be so kind as to see if there is a M.I. for a Janet Campbell? As far as I know she was born 24.3.1800 and died Aug 9 1850 (aged 50). She was married to a William Brock from Thurso. Any information appreciated

Default Janet Campbell M.I

Hi,
    Janet and Wm. Brock are buried in Thurso: St. Peter's Church.

Janet Campbell 9.8.1850 aged 52, husband Wm. Brock farmer, son James 16.1.1851 aged 23 (w. Mary Graham 12.1.1851 aged 25.

Mary.

Default Janet Campbell M.I.

Thanks for that! I'm sure these are the right ones as they had a son James, and his wife, who died at that time. What I'd really like to find is the parents of William Brock and Janet Campbell, but am unsure how to proceed/where to look next. Any suggestions gratefully received!
    Thanks again for the quick response and for the interest shown!

[QUOTE=marionq]Davie, I wonder if your listings could solve a problem I am stuck over. John Bremner (Brimner) married a Catherine Bain in 1804 and had 4 children between 1805 and 1811. Later ie 1812 a John Bremner (with son Alexander ) was the husband of Henrietta Sinclair but with no word of what had happened to Catherine and the 3 younger childen Janet, Donald and John.

They were living in Sarclet or Wick town. Would you have a listing for Catherine and the children.

Hello Marion.
    I checked the MI'S for Wick and I can't find an entry for Catherine Bain.

Maybe you have this info. from the 1841 census,

Piece: SCT1841/43 Place: Wick-Caithness Enumeration District: 7
    Civil Parish: Wick Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -
    Folio: 0 Page: 7
    Address: Sarclet

John 70 occ. Labourer
    Henrietta 60
    John 20 occ. Fisher
    Elizabeth 18
    James 15
    Andrew 12

Mary.

I'm sure these are the right ones as they had a son James, and his wife, who died at that time. What I'd really like to find is the parents of William Brock and Janet Campbell, but am unsure how to proceed/where to look next. Any suggestions gratefully received!

Hi,
    Happy to be off some help. Now I have checked the IGI and found a birth for a Janet Campbell 22 March 1798 Thurso parents James Campbell & Christian Gray which is a possiblity as two off Janet's children were named James and Christian, off course you would have to try and verify this. I found the family on the 1841 census for Thurso. If you wish you can email and I'll try and see if I can find anymore info. for you. Genealogy is my hobby and I am always willing to help.

Regards Mary

Hello again,
    I have just checked the 1881 census and found your William Brock living at Rose Street, Thurso, he is living there with with his second wife Christina, daughter Elizabeth 26 and son Malcolm 22.
    This means you can get his death certificate which will give you the names of his parents. In 1881 William gave his age as 74 which made him born 1807, now this ties in with the his age on the 1841 census, address is also the same.
    On Scotlands People web site there is death for a Wm. Brock in 1884 in Thurso b. 1807 so I would say this is your man.
    http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Mary

Thanks Mary, yes I do have that. I keep hoping someone has come up with some new source of material and to be honest Fred found me some info a while ago. My brain must be going soft because I thought this was a different source - clutching at straws. The problem is probably that prior to 1855 when people died they often tried to avoid death taxes by not registering the death and I guess if a wife and 3 children died they would have a lot to think about and a lot of expense so registering would be avoided if at all possible.

Marion

Thanks a lot for that. Will have to check this out!

Quote Originally Posted by marionq
    Thanks Mary, yes I do have that. I keep hoping someone has come up with some new source of material and to be honest Fred found me some info a while ago. My brain must be going soft because I thought this was a different source - clutching at straws. The problem is probably that prior to 1855 when people died they often tried to avoid death taxes by not registering the death and I guess if a wife and 3 children died they would have a lot to think about and a lot of expense so registering would be avoided if at all possible.

Marion
    No there were no taxes, they just didn't keep a record of deaths. A Minister wasn't needed as with a christening or marriage and there were a lot of graveyards scattered about. In the Statistical Accounts for Latheron they didn't even know how many people had died let alone who they were.

I think it's possible that someone who died in one of the frequent epedemics in Wick could have been burried in the graveyard on the south of the town opposite where Lidles is now perhaps in communal graves. I don't know for sure but on the maps made later in the 1800s the fever hospital is right next to the cemetery so I suspect that in the early 1800s they isolated anyone who was sick on the outskirts of town and that the cemetery was started to cater for them.

Default William Brock and Janet Campbell

HI Mary, ED2005 and I are researching the same family. We did get William Brock's Death Record and it shows his parents. The problem I am having with it is the Death was registered one of his sons from the second marriage and I'm not sure that the information is accurate, since we can't seem to locate the people. Could you elaborate on the process that the registrar would have used to record a Death? Did he take the information from the person registering the death, which was the practice in the US, or would he have look the information up in the Birth and Marriage registers. The reason I ask this is that in William Brocks Death Record, it mentions both marriages and under Christian Ross's name it says "Illegitimate". I thought that was odd, I wouldn't think that the youngest son would be privi to that type of information about his mum, and figured that the Reigistrar got it from some where else. He also has accurate information about Williams 1st Marriage. Any light you can shed on this would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by dparad
    HI Mary, ED2005 and I are researching the same family. We did get William Brock's Death Record and it shows his parents. The problem I am having with it is the Death was registered one of his sons from the second marriage and I'm not sure that the information is accurate, since we can't seem to locate the people. Could you elaborate on the process that the registrar would have used to record a Death? Did he take the information from the person registering the death, which was the practice in the US, or would he have look the information up in the Birth and Marriage registers. The reason I ask this is that in William Brocks Death Record, it mentions both marriages and under Christian Ross's name it says "Illegitimate". I thought that was odd, I wouldn't think that the youngest son would be privi to that type of information about his mum, and figured that the Reigistrar got it from some where else. He also has accurate information about Williams 1st Marriage. Any light you can shed on this would be greatly appreciated.

HI,
    To answer your question about accurate information. The registrar takes the information from the person registering the death, in some cases the information is not accurate which I have come across a couple of times in my research,when the son registered his mother's death he got the christian name of his grandmother wrong.
    Is it the parents of William that you can not locate?. I couldn't find a birth for Wm. on IGI or Scotlands People, so I presume they did not register his birth.
    Regards
    Mary

Default William Brock and Janet Campbell

William Brock is the one I am questioning. I assumed that they didn't register his birth either because I couldn't find it on IGI. But I also couldn't find his parents Marriage on IGI Either. Which make's me wonder if they came from somewhere else. I thought the Marriage would have had to have gotten registered, but I am not as familiar with my Scottish historical customs as I should be. Was it a Law back then? I know in 1855 the law took effect and we have much better records as a result.

What could the possible explainations for this be? Why wouldn't they have registered the Birth or the Marriage? Was this common? Just looking for insite and background.

I've ordered the Monument Inscription Book 3 so I can look them up when I get it. I'll also have to see if there are any death on IGI.

Thanks for all your help.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast