Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Caithness Monumental Inscriptions pre 1855

Quote Originally Posted by george9 View Post
    Cormacks from Wick in late 1700s? Please check your Wick cemetery books to see if you have records for Donald Cormack or Catherine McLeod who sired Donald Cormack, born 23 Dec 1810 in Wick, and four other children. We have nearly zero info on Catherine McLeod and her husband (other than that marriage was on Jan 20, 1810 in Wick) and we have even less on their forebears so anything would help!.....from George Cormack
    Photo here: http://www.oddquine.co.uk/gravestone...h/40600134.JPG

Can send you larger copy if you let me know your email address.

Quote Originally Posted by Marion Davie View Post
    Dear Davie - I've just found a ggg g/father Peter Clark, Mid Clyth, who was married to Mary Sutherland (married probably about 1770-80) Do you know if there are any references to the many Clarks around that area at that time in the MI's for mid Clyth and whether there is any detail re. family relationships in the MIs? My ancestor was their son Henry b.abt 1805, who became a baker in Aberdeen.
    Thanks
    MD
    A few Clarks in Mid Clyth but none which obviously tie in with yours. No Peter, I'm afraid.

Default Donald Cormack (died 1832) Ancestors & Descendants

Tricia and oddquine. Many thanks for info, in particular for census you supplied. I am missing everything on siblings and ancestors of Catherine McLeod and Donald Cormack. Any suggestions? But, I have extensive data on most of their descendants - see my tree "GeorgCormack44" or "LindgreLinforsNoNotes" in ancestry.com. Would like to establish contact by email to Libri9@netzero.net to exchange details.

[quote=Tricia;522465]

Hi Tricia, how are you keeping? Well, I hope. Many thanks for the MI information - disappointingly sparse though it is.

As for your query about David Cormack & Jean Weir, I haven't tracked down any more children, but I’ve tentatively pencilled in that these may be David Cormack's parents:

"1769... May... 28th Cormack William Cormack in Thinlochie had by his wife Elizabeth Findlason a child bap named David. The wits. were Thos. Cormack [...] [?Will.] Swanson in Wick." [1769 Wick Births Registry Extract, 043/ 020/ 142]

There were two other David Cormacks born in Wick about this time - to William Cormack & Eliza Sutherland bap 28/3/1762 (per IGI member submission), and to James Cormack & Elizabeth Gelbertson bap 9/5/1766 per OPR (C110432).

But the two witnesses to David’s daughter Jane Cormack's baptism in 1806 were George & Robert Finlayson, so I hazard a guess that Elizabeth Finlayson may have been her grandmother. Incidentally, I notice that the (barely readable) OPR extract of her baptism doesn’t state that David and Jean were actually married (“November 24th 1806 Cormack David in Thuster had .. a child w Jean Whier in ... baptized, Jean.”)

Anyway, if in fact that’s our David, that gives his birthdate.

As for Jean Weir’s birthdate, this is her living with her daughter and son-in-law in the 1851 Wick Census, 043 ED 7 p36 schedule 131.

"Address: Newton
    WIER James Head M M 49 Farmer Of 18 Acres b - Wick
    WIER Jean Wife - F 43 - b - Wick
    WIER Jean Dau U F 14 Scholar b - Wick
    WIER William Son - M 12 Scholar b - Wick
    WIER Donald Son - M 10 Scholar b - Wick
    WIER James Son - M 8 - b Wick
    WIER Elizabeth Dau - F 2 - b Wick
    WIER Jean Mother in Law W F 82 Pauper Former ?Weaver’s Wife b Wick"
    [“Jean Weir Mother in Law” - the mother of James Weir’s wife Jean Cormack - was the widow of David Cormack, but her maiden name was also Weir - as per Jean Cormack's 9/4/1883 death certificate - but I've no idea how she was related to James Weir. Of course James Weir’s mother was a Cormack, too, so it gets mighty complicated! Anyway, this would give her an approximate birth year of 1768.]

Anyway, best wishes from the shores of Lake Ontario. My sister Marian is heading up to Shetland this summer - for a folk festival - I'm so envious - she'll be passing by the old haunts. Helen & I are heading off to Newfie-land instead, which is not a bad substitute.

Take care,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    hi there all the way from New Zealand

im looking for information on the following couple:

John SUTHERLAND and Janet MACINTOSH emigrated from Caithness in 1859 to Canterbury, New Zealand.

all i know is that they had 9 children, the 6th one being my ggg-grandfather Adam. and their eldest named John (born 15 Nov 1856, Dunbeath, Latheron, Caithness, Scotland)

id love to hear form anyone that might be able to tell me anything about John and Janet or their descendants.

cheers
    ---Richard Anderson
    --------------

Davie I am hoping you may be able to find my William Sutherland & Christian MS Sutherland who I believe lived at Redrock & had a daughter Christina born 1838 Dunbeath. Feel they would have been buried in Cemetery in Latheron.
    Thank you,
    Dianne NZ
    ------------
    Also Richard Anderson,
    Your post is of great interest as I have Sutherlands who came to Canterbury NZ around the same time as your John Sutherland born Dunbeath. Some lived in Christchurch & others Lincoln, Brookside & Ashburton Canterbury. Would be interested to hear from you.
    Dianne NZ
    ---------------

Hello Tricia.
    You asked who the Cormack sons married. I have no marr info re George Cormack (1825) or Alexander Cormack (1815) but Donald Cormack (1810) married Margaret Massie (b 24?26? Jan 1814, Fraserburgh) on 3 Nov 1845 and had children Alexander 1846, Jane (1848), Jessie (1850), George (1852) Donald (1854), John (1856), William (1858) and Andrew (1860). I have marriage and children data for all of these 8 children - ask if you want more... My grandfather was George Cormack Sr., born 6 Jan 1852 in Fraserburgh who married Jane Johnston Blackhall (b 1 Oct 1853 in Rathven, Buckyshire. George was a fish curer then a Fisheries Officer in Fraserburgh. He was awarded the British Empire Medal for his efforts in WW1. Again I have info on the 8 children of George and Jane Johnston - ask if you want it please.
    Does anyone have any information on the Donald Cormack who was born in Wick on 22 June, 1785 to Magnus Cormack and Mary Sutherland? Who did he marry, who were his children, when did he die? There is a possibility that he is the father of the Donald Cormack who sired my great great grandfather Donald Cormack who married Catherine McLeod. (too many Donalds!! Anyways, the one who married Catherine McLeod had a son Donald who married Margaret Massie [see para 1 above])
    You have been a great help Tricia.....George Cormack

Hi

I was wondering if you could look up a MI for me.
    On my Great, Great, Great, Great Grandfather's death certificate he is listed as "buried in Watten graveyard", do you possibly have any information of his headstone?
    His details are:

Alexander Morrison (aka Murson)
    Born 1791 Bower
    (parents are Donald Murson & Janet Sutherland)
    Died 1859 Wick

He married Isabella Campbell in 1832, Caithness

On his census entries, he is listed as a Chelsea Pensioner, so I think he may have served in the Nepoleonic Wars.

Thanks in advance for any thing you find.

Quote Originally Posted by george9 View Post
    Hello Tricia.
    Does anyone have any information on the Donald Cormack who was born in Wick on 22 June, 1785 to Magnus Cormack and Mary Sutherland? Who did he marry, who were his children, when did he die? .George Cormack

My Family George . I will have to answer in detail later.
    Tricia

Quote Originally Posted by morrison View Post
    Hi

I was wondering if you could look up a MI for me.
    On my Great, Great, Great, Great Grandfather's death certificate he is listed as "buried in Watten graveyard", do you possibly have any information of his headstone?
    His details are:

Alexander Morrison (aka Murson)
    Born 1791 Bower
    (parents are Donald Murson & Janet Sutherland)
    Died 1859 Wick

He married Isabella Campbell in 1832, Caithness

On his census entries, he is listed as a Chelsea Pensioner, so I think he may have served in the Nepoleonic Wars.

Thanks in advance for any thing you find.
    Doesn't appear to be a headstone in the MIs for that family in Watten Graveyard, I'm afraid..

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    --------------

Davie I am hoping you may be able to find my William Sutherland & Christian MS Sutherland who I believe lived at Redrock & had a daughter Christina born 1838 Dunbeath. Feel they would have been buried in Cemetery in Latheron.
    Thank you,
    Dianne NZ
    Nothing obvious in Latheron or Mid Clyth, I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddquine View Post
    Doesn't appear to be a headstone in the MIs for that family in Watten Graveyard, I'm afraid..
    thanks for looking oddquine.

Donald b 1810: 23 Dec 1810 Wick.
    "Donald Cormack in Louisburgh had a son by his wife Catherine McLeod baptised and named Donald. Witnes Alexr Cormack in Bankhead and Donald Cormack there."

Donald snr and Catherine Mcleod married Jan 1810 Wick.

The marriage of Donald and Katherine: 20 Jan 1810 Wick:
    "Cormack Dond. in Louisburgh was Matrimonally Contracted to Katharine McLeod in Wick. Cautrs John Cormack for the man and Robert Crow for the woman both in Wick"

George I have sent you a private message also.
    Tricia
    Last edited by Tricia; 21-Apr-09 at 20:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddquine View Post
    Nothing obvious in Latheron or Mid Clyth, I'm afraid.
    Thank you very much for your lookup Davie...much appreciated.
    Dianne NZ

Hello Davie and others,
    Still looking for my ancestors before 1753
    I think the headstone of his grave might help.
    this is what I've found till now willing to go to Halkirk to reseaech further.

Research into the background of William MacDonald of Navidale, one of the heroes of the Land League, through Census records and parish registers finally linked three tombstones, two at Dalnawillan and one at Kildonan. William's father, John, and his grandfather, John Macdonald of Achscoroclate, a noted Caithness cattle drover, are buried at Dalnawillan. Grandfather Macdonald was married to Barbara Gordon, a daughter, of Alexander Gordon, tacksman of Dalcharn, and his wife Isabella Sutherland and of the Strathuilligh Sutherlands. Barbara Gordon had a sister, Ann, who married John Gordon of Saluschraiggie. Later Ann possessed a sheep farm in Caithness. Her daughter, Isabella, was William Macdonald's mother so that his parents were cousins. A tombstone at Kildonan records William's great grandparents - the tacksman of Dalcharn and his Sutherland wife: on the same stone is William's mother Isabella.

John Mac Donald born abt.1753 in Achscoroclate died march 3rd 1840 in Caithness.As he was buried at Dalnawillan I think I have a link with Willam Mac Donald of Navidale here.
    We know he married Ann Ross aug.4th in 1778 in Halkirk.

Married 2nd time to Barbara Gordon who was born abt. 1764 and died abt. 1790 who’s death was announced in the John O Groat journal on 23rd aug,1850

We think that the parents of Barbara Gordon were Alexander Gordon and Isabella Sutherland .

Default Munro look up

Hi, I was wondering if you could look up Catherine Munro in the MI? She was married to George Munro and died some time between 1841 and 1851 as she appears on the 1841 census for Janetstown, Wick but not on the 1851 census. Her maiden name was McLeod and she was born about 1791. Many thanks, Emma.

EmmaClark, she's not got a gravestone in Wick Parish Church that I can see, I'm afraid.

I checked McLeod, Munro and McL.

Thanks for looking! Emma.

Default Canisbay Monumental Inscriptions---Banks Family

Hello from New Zealand
    any information regarding lookups for any of the BANKS family in Canisbay
    I believe there are a number of generations that hailed from the area.
    I can only start from John Banks/Janet Geddes/s around 1740
    any help whatsoever will be greatly appreciated
    Apparantly there is only one copy of Vol1 in NZ--held in Wellington Library so very difficult to get to see
    please can anyone help me here??????
    Bruce M Banks
    Auckland
    New Zealand
    print@extreme-print.co.nz

Hi Bruce
    Lots of BANKS in Canisbay.
    As you are probably aware not all burials had stones.
    Anyway - Reference: http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.c...i/caithnes.txt
    It gives you the Cemeteries and surnames.
    That way you can check possible plots to look up.
    example CANISBAY = CB8

all GEDDES at CB8
    GEDDES at CE8 11,50

Then all Banks
    BANKS CB8 2,20,29 THROUGH TO 43,48,58,59,63,
    BANKS CB8 79,89,104,171,223,272,309,310
    BANKS CE8 18,26,27,64,66

SO by narrowing it down further for your John Banks and Janet Geddes:
    Number 79 is only one with both surnames:
    It is for "James Geddes Milley of Mey 21.4.1886 aged 66, w Helen Banks 5.5.1908 79, ss Jas 1.1.1880 18, Wm d Bombay 15.5.1901 40."

I then did a check on all JOHN Banks
    No 37 is a John d1846 wife charlotte dunnet and children
    38 is john 1911 w jessie manson
    43 john 1886 w eliz bremner
    59 john imo father James 1821 55, mother cath Jack 1807, step mother marg bruce 1841
    223 john 1809- 1863 w chris banks

So can't find your couple in Canisbay from the MIs.
    Tricia

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Banks View Post
    Hello from New Zealand
    any information regarding lookups for any of the BANKS family in Canisbay
    I believe there are a number of generations that hailed from the area.
    I can only start from John Banks/Janet Geddes/s around 1740
    any help whatsoever will be greatly appreciated
    Apparantly there is only one copy of Vol1 in NZ--held in Wellington Library so very difficult to get to see
    please can anyone help me here??????
    Bruce M Banks
    Auckland
    New Zealand
    print@extreme-print.co.nz
    Can't see a John Banks/Janet Geddes in any of the MI volumes. No Banks at all in Volume 4, though some in all the rest.

Meant to post this before, but got sidetracked to something else before I did. Sorry.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast