Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Caithness Monumental Inscriptions pre 1855

Wade,
    Sorry but no luck with the search for James Manson & his wife or David Manson in any of the indices I have. Very few tombstones are listed for burials in the late 1700's or early 1800's - perhaps they were not generally inscribed at that time or otherwise 200 years of Caithness weather has obliterated the markings. Certainly there are literally hundreds of Manson buried throughout the County but none that tie in to these dates.

Davie

Anonymous Guest

Davie
    Thanks very much for your time!
    Wade

Default Jean MOWAT

Hi Davie,

Would you mind looking for a Jean MOWAT, died somewhere between 1809 and 1819 and is probably buried in Wick. Jean's husband was Peter DOULL, a joiner in Pulteneytown.

Thanks

Alastair
    Sydney, Australia

Alastair

No trace of Jean Mowat or Peter Doull in the listings for Wick Old Cemetary. I will have a look at the landward areas in the next day or so.

Davie

Alastair

I have checked all the indices for Jean Mowat/Peter Doull - no luck .

Whilst checking I found the following entries that may have relevance to your search re the family of Donald Banks/Christian Dunnett :

In Dunnet Cemetary
    "John Shearer, Farmer, Warse, died 7 April 1871 aged 83 years.
    His wife Elizabeth Banks, died 3 May 1890 aged 89.Family Elizabeth 1886?? 16 months, George 26 April 1854 aged 24, Elizabeth 4 June 1863 aged 25."
    There is an obvious typographical error on the entry for Elizabeth (the First).

"George Banks, Shoemaker, Rattar, Dunnet, died 31 March 1879 aged 74".

There are many entries for Banks in the records for Dunnet & Canisbay and it may be that some of those are related to your search but no other names tie in to the dates you quoted.

Good luck with it.

Davie

Default Doull, Banks, Mowat

Hi Davie

Thanks for that. I'd found Peter DOULL and Jean MOWAT marrying in Thurso in 1793, three christenings in Thurso (including Ann, my 3G-grandmother) and another 3 children christened in Wick, the last being John in 1809. I was looking through the OPR the other day when I found Peter DOULL, a joiner in Pulteneytown (which was the same details given for him on John BANKS and Ann DOULL's marriage record) marrying Isobell MacBeath in 1819 in Wick.

Thanks for the information on Elizabeth and George BANKS in Dunnet. I think that they're my 3G-grand aunt and uncle. I hadn't realised Elizabeth had survived beyond 1881. I'd better see if I can find her in the census.

Best wishes

Alastair

Hi Davie

I'm looking for information on my GGGgrandfather John Simpson born in Canisbay possibly Stroma.He was married to Elizabeth Sinclair in 1825.He died between 1825 and 1841.He had a son John.Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Don Simpson

p.hislop Guest

Default Re: Caithness Monumental Inscriptions pre 1855

Quote Originally Posted by davie
    I have just got 4 volumes of listings for (I think) all cemetaries in Caithness so if anyone needs to check out where and when their ancestors are buried let me know and I'll try to help.
    Davie,
    Wondered if a John HORNE or a Mary HORNE (nee CAMPBELL) appear in the listings mentioned above. I believe at one time they lived in Wick.
    Thanks in anticipation

Margot Guest

Hi Davie

I know this is a long shot - but I am wanting to find relatives of mine buried in Caithness. Maybe Reay?

I have included my site for anyone interested in the Mackenzie line and to see if anyone can help me. In particular I need dates for Hugh, David and Jean born about 1787 to 1798. I have come to a complete standstill with them.
    http://mywebpage.netscape.com/margot.../Mackenzie.htm

I know Mackenzie is a very popular name and I could be grasping at straws - but any help with any other Mackenzies in that era would be appreciated as they could be related to me and that would then fill some gaps.

Thank you - and have a good day!

Margot - from windy Wellington - New Zealand

p.hislop Guest

Default Re: Caithness Monumental Inscriptions pre 1855

Davie,
    Do not know much about this couple - if I didn't know better I'd swear they didn't exist.
    They had a daughter Johanna Campbell HORNE chr/born 28 August 1821, near Wick, Caithness.. apart from her marriage in Edinburgh in 1844 have been unable to trace this couple. The birth date comes
    from information Johanna left behind - but have not found her in any christening OPRs.
    John was supposedly in the East India Company.
    This is all I know about John HORNE and Mary CAMPBELL... so wondered if they may appear in any burial registers/lists you have?

Thanks in anticipation
    Pam

Quote Originally Posted by p.hislop
    I have just got 4 volumes of listings for (I think) all cemetaries in Caithness so if anyone needs to check out where and when their ancestors are buried let me know and I'll try to help.
    Davie,
    Wondered if a John HORNE or a Mary HORNE (nee CAMPBELL) appear in the listings mentioned above. I believe at one time they lived in Wick.
    Thanks in anticipation

Dogrump Guest

Default Deaths

I need help finding my famliy deaths.

John Phimester Married Christina Sutherland no dates at all and another is Alexander Phimester (Pre 1888)Married to a Willimina Laird Dunnet(b.6 may 1863 in Canisbay)

Thanks

Rachelle Clayton
    Canada

veronica Guest

Default listings for Caithness Cemeteries

Hi Davie,

Wondering if you are able to help me with a list of all McKays buried in Caithness Cemeteries between 1870 and 1900. Sorry, I know this is a big task, but it would really help me in my search for my Scottish ancestors. You can email me on veronica_paul2002@yahoo.com.au

Thanks in anticipation

Veronica Brown

Lynnette Guest

Default Mansons from Caithness

G'day Davie
    Just found this message and hope you are still looking up Caithness Cemeteries. I am trying to find the William Manson who married Ann Gair around 1800. They had both passed on by the time their son William Manson married Agnes Ross at Berriedale Inn, Caithness in 1859 but can't find any death certificates etc. William (the son) was a farmer at the Inn. William and Agnes emmigrated to Australia in 1864 so I am trying to find my ancesters. I have details of the Aussie Mansons should anyone be interested. Can you help please???
    Cheers, Lynnette

Robinson Manson Guest

Default Manson / Oman

The listings for Trostan show the following Omans/Mansons :

Robert MacKenzie Manson died Greenvale Dunnet 4 December 1927 aged 69, his wife Jane Oman died Sibster Halkirk 31 March 1945 aged 85. Son Nicolas accidentally killed Pass.??, Saskatchewan 7 October 1921 aged 39.

There are 13 entries for Manson as well , I am a big bit no weel at the moment and dont have the energy to type them all in today. If the Manson/Oman above is NOT the one you are looking for can you be any more specific and I'll have another look.

Davie,

I was just going through your posts and saw the above. I am quite sure that the people mentioned are my grandfathers parents. He was born George Manson on June 21 1889 in Framside. The birth was registered in Halkirk on July 6, 1889. in the parish records I believe.
    His parents are listed as Robert Manson, quarry labourer and Jane Manson (Oman), who were married in Halkirk on September 3rd, 1880.
    What I'm curious about is you mentioned a son, Nicholas. Did your sourse mention any other children? Also, do you know of any other online sources that I might use to trace further back.

Regards,

Robinson

Default Canisbay Cemetaries

I am wondering if you have any information on any Simpson's that are in the Canisbay area. My ggggrandfather was a Matthew Simpson who married a Margaret Wat(t)er in and around 1742. His father was a William Simpson married to Margaret Waters, Matthew was born around 1711. Anything you can find on any Simpson's is greatly appreciated. They seem to be an elusive bunch!
    Thanx so much for any help you can give
    Jackie Miller
    Canada

Default monumental stones

hi..
    any info on a Jasper Sutherland 1799>1881 Latheron/upper clyth, his wife Jane/Jean Gunn?
    also any detail of the McPherson family from same area who lived Newlands latheron
    Live life to the full, you only get one chance so make it count
    dont be to happy coz someone sure to shoot you down

Default Caithness Monuments

My GGG Grandmother was Jane (or Jean) Wares Bruce, wife of James Bruce. She died at Pulteneytown 2 April 1864. It's a long shot (I doubt any of them had headstones) but I'd appreciate you checking whenever you have the time.
    Thanks in advance,
    Dixie Cutler
    Dixie

Default Caithness Mon. Inscriptions pre 1855

Davie I wonder if you can help me - I am really stuck with John MacDonald and his wife Jean Paterson - there is no trace of them since their daughter's marriage in 1842,
    Latheron. This daughter was born abt 1826
    I understand John had served in the Army- he may be down as Pensioner .
    Many thanks
    SD

rnichols Guest

Does Davie, or whoever had the 4 volumes of cemetery inscriptions still online? I am new to this area and I am looking for Mowat(t)'s who might be buried in Canisbay - mostly early records up to the early 1800's if any such monuments exist.

Thanksjavascript:emoticon('')
    javascript:emoticon('')

Rich Nichols,
    Greer, SC, USA

zen3 Guest

Default John sutherland in wick

Hi Davie
    I am looking for the plot of john dewar sutherland i think he is buried in wick cemetery
    can you help?
    thanks zena

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast