Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Caithness Monumental Inscriptions pre 1855

Thanks Davie...yes, we have the Book of Lybster, with that page marked about Donald Stewart. That info came from the baptismal record of one of Donald(2)'s sisters.

That would be grand if you had a look for St. Trostan's. I could give you some leads on who might walk you to the spot. I can't imagine that they were buried on the Dale Estate, my gg gran was a just domestic servant there, when she wasnt digging tatties. -Helen

Helen - the world gets smaller !!. My grand-uncle was caretaker at Dale House for many years until he retired to Halkirk. This was when the Murray-Threipland family had the estate and I remember being there as a child. Even earlier (or so I am told) I was farmed out there for a few weeks and crawled around at such a speed that I was named the "blue-ar**d fly. My mammy had made me blue troosers to go over the nappies I know roughly where the cemetary is but don't hold your breath - it could be a while before I get up there.

Anonymous Guest

Default ancestore

in the late 80's the community programmes of Caithness District Council undertook the listings of graveyards in the county. Someone somewhere must have these lists. They were originally in the Bruce Buildings in Sinclair Terrace, Wick.
    I would be interested in any Oman or Manson heatstones in Trostan Cemetary ( the one near Shebster)

The listings for Trostan show the following Omans/Mansons :

Robert MacKenzie Manson died Greenvale Dunnet 4 December 1927 aged 69, his wife Jane Oman died Sibster Halkirk 31 March 1945 aged 85. Son Nicolas accidentally killed Pass.??, Saskatchewan 7 October 1921 aged 39.

There are 13 entries for Manson as well , I am a big bit no weel at the moment and dont have the energy to type them all in today. If the Manson/Oman above is NOT the one you are looking for can you be any more specific and I'll have another look.

Anonymous Guest

Default trostan

davie

thnak you that is the manson/oman i was looking for. another should be david manson who died in the latter part of the last century. I know there is a lot of them but it is good to have that information

thanks

No David Manson listed at Trostan. I do know that there are some stones in Trostan not in the book so it is possible he is there. The cemetary is worth a look - it's kept quite tidy and you go in thru MacKenzies farm steading to get there. (If you go remember your wellies!).
    I had a look thru the Halkirk pages - there are two entries there but the dates are not right for the one you are looking for :-

David Manson,Farmer, died Achavrole,Calder, 15 December 1903 Aged 63yrs. His wife Ann Sinclair, died 14 Jan 1930, aged 74. Their daughter Elizabeth C Smith, died Canada 15 March 1922, aged 32.

David Manson,Farmer, Calder. 1 Dec 1799 to 4 Aug 1865. His wife Margaret Munro. 17 Jan 1806 to 8 Jan 1869. Erected by their son David.

Anonymous Guest

indeed the world is very small - your grand uncle must have been christopher - my very dear neighbour - how we miss him - he was a great old man - many laughs we had together ( and sad moments too)

Christy was indeed my grand-uncle Janette. I had not seen him for a few years but remember the last time. It was in the Royal Hotel after a funeral and he was showing off by hopping & skipping about the place. I'm sure if there had been room he would have being doing cartwheels as well !. He must have been nearly 90 then.
    Ref. your David Manson - when you say latter part of the last century which one are you actually talking about. With a bit more specifics I can have a look thru all my reference books and maybe find him for you.
    For example I have a David Manson who died at Brough 14 June 1899 aged 82 and his wife Jane Trotter who died at Ham 31 December 1876 aged 75. They are in Dunnet Cemetary which might tie in with your Robert Manson being at Greenside ??.

Anonymous Guest

the manson oman reference are my grandfather annd granny i think i can tell you more

Anonymous Guest

Default Sutherland - Dunbeath, Latheron, Caithness, Scotland

hi there all the way from New Zealand

im looking for information on the following couple:

John SUTHERLAND and Janet MACINTOSH emigrated from Caithness in 1859 to Canterbury, New Zealand.

all i know is that they had 9 children, the 6th one being my ggg-grandfather Adam. and their eldest named John (born 15 Nov 1856, Dunbeath, Latheron, Caithness, Scotland)

id love to hear form anyone that might be able to tell me anything about John and Janet or their descendants.

cheers
    Richard Anderson

Davie

Would you be able to lookup whether there's a monumental inscription for

Donald Banks or

Christina Banks ms Dunnet

after 1804 in Ratter, Dunnet?

Thanks

Alastair
    Australian Capital Territory

Anonymous Guest

Default Meiklejohn Family

Dear Davie,
    Could you look up the Meiklejohn family in the monumental inscriptions. They come down from the highlands, Namely Wick and Thurso.
    Some names are John Meiklejohn, George Meiklejohn, Donald Meiklejohn, There are many buried up there I know of one grave number 91.John Mucklejohn, Mason....
    Not sure of any others, can you help???

thanks Aussfm

Re Banks & Meiklejohn. I'm just back after a few weeks away but will get on to these in the next day or so.

Default Donald Banks/Christina Dunnet

Alastair,
    No record of a gravestone for Donald Banks or Christina Dunnet in Dunnet/Canisbay/Corsback/Olrig/Bower Cemetaries.
    Sorry about the delay in getting back to you.

Have also checked the remaining cemetaries and again no trace of these names o combination.

Default Meiklejohn

Aussfm,
    Several Meiklejohn tombstones located as under :-

LATHERON OLD CEMETARY -
    John Meiklejon, died Spring Park, Thurso, 23 December 1853 aged 67, his wife Agnes Trotter died Dunbeath 16 January 1844, aged 40. Their son Alex died Queenstown, Aust. 28 July 1868 aged 36.

HALKIRK -
    (Table Stone) Don Meiklejohn, Farmer, Sibster, died 30 July 1838, aged 66. His wife Barbara MacBeath, died 5 January 1836 aged 55. Erected by daughter Ann.

(Table Stone) John "Miklijohn", tenant at Miltown of Sordal, died 20 December 1781 aged 52, his wife Janet died 13 August 1819 aged 76.

WATTEN -
    Don Meiklejohn, West Watten, died 18 June 1862 aged 67. His wife Mary Meiklejohn died 7 October 1860 aged 57.

George Meiklejohn, Bilbster, died 1 August 1841 aged 48, his wife Elizabeth Bremner died 15 October 1850 aged 56, daughter Isa died 15 June 1874 aged 39, son Don died 1 April 1880 aged 58.

These are the only Meiklejohns I can find with the forenames you quoted. Sorry about the delay in getting back to you.

gbudge Guest

davie, would you mind having a look for Donald Budge and Elizabeth Harper? I know they were married in Wick, but that's about all I know (I do have their children's names if you need them). They were married in Wick in 1815 and I probably passed near or before 1855.

I recently ordered a copy of their marriage record from the Registrar's office, but have yet to receive it.

Thanks, in advance, for your time and effort.

G.

Can find no trace of Donald Budge/Elizabeth Harper in any of the cemetary listings.
    Note that the people who compiles these lists did NOT do the following : Halkirk Extension, Latheron Extension, Olrig Extension, Thurso New Cemetary, Mount Vernon, Wick New Cemetary.
    If you are carrying on with your research from Marriage Certificate right thru to Death Certificates and find out where they lived at time of death then the Council burial ground records might help - the North Highland Archive in Wick would be able to point you in the right direction on these.

gbudge Guest

Thanks for trying and thanks for the info, davie!

Do you know of any cemeteries in Wick that have their archives online? I'm living overseas so searching any archives in person is just not possible right now. Someday....

Anonymous Guest

Default meiklejohn Monumental Inscriptions

Dear Davie thanks for the assistance very Grateful
    Aussfm

Anonymous Guest

Default MANSON request

Hi davie,

Wondering if you could look up in your list a couple of names . . .
    James MANSON and his wife Euphen (MALCOLM). Apparently James was born before 1701 in Watten, Caithness.

Another name if you don't mind is David MANSON born about MAY 1724 in Banks of Scowthell, Watten.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Wade
    NZ

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast