Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Caithness Monumental Inscriptions pre 1855

Quote Originally Posted by dparad
    What could the possible explainations for this be?
    Was his mother a Miller?

William Brock is the one I am questioning. I assumed that they didn't register his birth either because I couldn't find it on IGI. But I also couldn't find his parents Marriage on IGI Either. Which make's me wonder if they came from somewhere else. I thought the Marriage would have had to have gotten registered, but I am not as familiar with my Scottish historical customs as I should be. Was it a Law back then? I know in 1855 the law took effect and we have much better records as a result.

What could the possible explainations for this be? Why wouldn't they have registered the Birth or the Marriage? Was this common? Just looking for insite and background.

I've ordered the Monument Inscription Book 3 so I can look them up when I get it. I'll also have to see if there are any death on IGI.

Thanks for all your help.
    Hello,
    William Brock gave his birth place as Thurso in the 1851 & 1881 Census, like I said it was not compulsary to register a birth,marriage or deaths before 1855 in Scotland. I'm afraid you won't be able to get any death records on IGI.

Here is the details on the 1881 Census for Wm. Brock and family:

Dwelling: Rose St
    Census Place: Thurso, Caithness, Scotland
    Source: FHL Film 0203402 GRO Ref Volume 041 EnumDist 1 Page 32
    Marr Age Sex Birthplace
    William BROCK M 74 M Thurso, Caithness, Scotland
    Rel: Head
    Occ: Carter
    Christina BROCK M 67 F Canisbay, Caithness, Scotland
    Rel: Wife
    Elizabeth BROCK U 26 F Thurso, Caithness, Scotland
    Rel: Daur
    Malcolm BROCK U 22 M Thurso, Caithness, Scotland
    Rel: Son
    Regards
    Mary.

Default William Brock and Janet Campbell

Fred,

Yes she was a Miller, her name was Catherine Miller. We got that along with the Name Donald Brock as his father off of the Death Certificate. I want to find an additional source for this information because the Death was registered by one of his sons from the second marriage and I'm not sure that the information is accurate, since we can't seem to locate the people and tie them all together.

Any insite you may have on this subject would be greatly appreciated?

Doug

Fred,

Yes she was a Miller, her name was Catherine Miller. We got that along with the Name Donald Brock as his father off of the Death Certificate. I want to find an additional source for this information because the Death was registered by one of his sons from the second marriage and I'm not sure that the information is accurate, since we can't seem to locate the people and tie them all together.

Any insite you may have on this subject would be greatly appreciated?

Doug
    The IGI have the parish record:

WILLIAM BROAKE OR MILLER
    Male

Event(s):
    Birth:
    Christening:
    02 APR 1807 Thurso, Caithness, Scotland
    Death:
    Burial:

Parents:
    Father: DONALD BROAKE Family
    Mother: CATHARINE MILLER

They also have a submitted record with the spelling Brooke which adds that the birth was at Ormley.

Originally Posted by Fred

Thank You Fred. This is most helpful.

Doug

Default monumental inscriptions

Hi
    I am new to the forum, is it possible to look at the inscriptions by surname?

If so I am looking for James Ferguson born about 1790. His marriage is transcribed as Farquharson. His death would be in Thurso or Wick between 1820-25.

Many thanks
    Jean

Quote Originally Posted by joakes
    Hi
    I am new to the forum, is it possible to look at the inscriptions by surname?

If so I am looking for James Ferguson born about 1790. His marriage is transcribed as Farquharson. His death would be in Thurso or Wick between 1820-25.

Many thanks
    Jean
    Wick Parish Church

James Farquar[son], treasurer of the Bible Society, died in 1824 aged 69.
    Wife Christian Steven died [?]7th August 1822 aged 52.
    Son James, student, died 12th July 1822 aged 22.
    George Farquar, schoolmaster.

Default monumental inscriptions

Thank you very much for replying so quickly unfortunately it is mine. this is the info I have
    James Ferguson/Farquharson married 1816 Wick
    Catherine Horne

I have found a Catharine Horne marrying in 1825 and wondered if James had died as can't find him anywhere. If so it would be after birth of last child 1820

Jean

Default Wick Burials

Hi,
    I was wondering if you could help me please I'm looking for the burial of a Margaret Bain nee Bruce she died between 1841 and 1851 and her husband William Bain who died in1857 both in the wick area. Thank you for any help in this matter.
    yvonne

Quote Originally Posted by yvonne 1
    Hi,
    I was wondering if you could help me please I'm looking for the burial of a Margaret Bain nee Bruce she died between 1841 and 1851 and her husband William Bain who died in1857 both in the wick area. Thank you for any help in this matter.
    yvonne
    I can't see anything.

There are a one or two flat stones just say William Bain but no Margaret Bruce that I can see.

Hi Fred,
    Thank you so much for trying for me.
    yvonne

Hi -sounds wonderful- I'm looking for William Henderson m Isobell Jack in Westerdeal Halkirk 1784- their sons Donanl and John emigrated to Canada c 1817- however I believe the parents remained in Halkirk- I hope you can find info re these persons

Quote Originally Posted by henny
    Hi -sounds wonderful- I'm looking for William Henderson m Isobell Jack in Westerdeal Halkirk 1784- their sons Donanl and John emigrated to Canada c 1817- however I believe the parents remained in Halkirk- I hope you can find info re these persons
    Can't see them.

Smile

Thank you for the kind offer. Would you be able to check for the following individuals (I am not sure which areas fall within Caithness or Sutherland?):

Donald MATHESON died 26 Nov 1826 Lairg.

Nathaniel POLSON died 18 Apr 1870 in Parish of Stornoway

Alexander POLSON died pre 1841 possibly in Kildonan area born c1770

and finally

Margaret ROSS nee POLSON died 24 Jul 1877 in Pultneytown

With much thanks

Danielle
    Last edited by DanielleFromDownUnder; 26-Jun-06 at 13:06.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleFromDownUnder
    Thank you for the kind offer. Would you be able to check for the following individuals (I am not sure which areas fall within Caithness or Sutherland?):

Donald MATHESON died 26 Nov 1826 Lairg.

Nathaniel POLSON died 18 Apr 1870 in Parish of Stornoway

Alexander POLSON died pre 1841 possibly in Kildonan area born c1770

and finally

Margaret ROSS nee POLSON died 24 Jul 1877 in Pultneytown

With much thanks

Danielle
    There's only Pultneytown in Caithness and 1877 is a little late for the Monumental Inscriptions which mainly covers pre 1855 inscriptions. After 1855 deaths had to be registered so people can get a copy of the death certificate.

Thanks very much for the quick reply.

Best Wishes
    Danielle

Quote Originally Posted by davie
    I have just got 4 volumes of listings for (I think) all cemetaries in Caithness so if anyone needs to check out where and when their ancestors are buried let me know and I'll try to help.
    I am trying to find the death of James Campbell husband of Christina Sutherland
    JAMES CAMPBELL was alive approx 1858 when his son James was conceived, he died before 22 Feb 1861 when Christina remarried.
    I have them living at Bank Row Wick Census 1851
    Christina and her new husband were living in Thuster Wick Census1861
    Sylvia

Hi Again

Would it be possible for you to check for some of the following individuals all of Wick Caithness, I am not sure if the dates are too early or if the information I have is too vague:

Finella COGHILL (wife of John ROSS) born 1735 Thuster Wick is the daughter of William Coghill and Margaret Sutherland.

Also

John POLSON and Margaret MULLIKEN married 1760 in Wick. Death dates unknown.

With thanks

Danielle

maureen Guest

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by davie View Post
    I have just got 4 volumes of listings for (I think) all cemetaries in Caithness so if anyone needs to check out where and when t
    heir ancestors are buried let me know and I'll try to help.
    I have a grandmother buried somewhere in caithness she lived in thurso rd wick her name was Christina and her husband was called james can you help because i am getting nowhere
    maureen smith

maureen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by davie View Post
    I have just got 4 volumes of listings for (I think) all cemetaries in Caithness so if anyone needs to check out where and when their ancestors are buried let me know and I'll try to help.
    I forgot to say that my grandmothers name was christina miller and james miller
    maureen smith

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast