Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Advice Please....Buying a Lawnmower

Default Advice Please....Buying a Lawnmower

Hi all you budding gardeners
    I am going to buy a petrol lawnmower for quite a big piece of ground, it is quite rough at present and quite long. I want one that runs on petrol without any additives so I don't need to rely on the other half lol........Oh and I don't want to spend a fortune, any ideas on what type/make of mower I should look for?
    Thanks in advance

Three years ago I bought a Hayter Spirit 41 Push 4-Wheel Lawnmower. At that time it was Which Magazine’s ‘Best Buy’ for middling sized lawns; I use it on a third of an acre. Since then I’ve changed the oil, spark plug and filter myself. During the winter months I start up the engine every three weeks or so to keep it running and it’s given me no problems at all. Have a look at http://www.hayter.co.uk/range/spirit-41-four-wheel-push
    Forum member Caramel Joy advertises regularly and they service and repairs Mowers; their phone number is 01955 603507. They often advertise good used mowers for sale.
    You can of course get your mower serviced at Alllan’s of Gillock or PM Poppet who recently advertised saying her hubbie was a retired horticultural engineer who services Lawn Mowers.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

THanks very much for the info Gronnuck, very much appreciated

Over the years we have had a number of petrol mowers and I have difficulty starting them because my arms are very short and I hurt myself pulling the string whilst holding the dead mans handle. My husband has restored an ancient Atco cylinder mower for me which has perfect dimensions for my build.

Any rotary mower with a briggs and stratton engine or honda engine which is well maintained will last a lifetime. Do not be put off by machines which require "mixture" as there are foolproof containers to get the mix just right.

Good luck with your quest.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today