Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Teeny Brock's shop

Default Teeny Brock's shop

This is my first posting for a while. I am collating my Brock information and wondered if anyone remembers Christina "Teeny" Brock's shop in Thurso. I believe it was a wine merchant's but also have information of a Brock draper's shop or a sister who worked in a draper's shop. Teeny died in 1949. Also memories of their brother Malcolm a prominent tyler in St Peter's Lodge, and harbourmaster (at Wick?). If there are any descendants of Malcolm, I'd love to hear from them. I have a website at www.granitecityroots.co.uk with some of the Brock story. Thank you. Great website by the way!

I have vague memories of Miss Brocks shop in Thurso.I think it was a clothes shop that also sold embroidery threads etc.It was situated in the same area as Reids bakery and cafe.My memories are from the 50s to 60s era!

My memory is the same. Little shop on High Street next to Liptons. Lovely lady.

Quote Originally Posted by ED2005 View Post
    . I have a website at www.granitecityroots.co.uk with some of the Brock story. Thank you. Great website by the way!
    Love your website.
    I was looking for Alex Brock b c 1791 born Wick. to John Brock and Ann Farquhar. Found he died in Edinburgh 1870.
    While looking for various Brock:
    Re: Your William 17 Aug 1803 (as per your website) --- I had found previously a William born 17 Aug 1803 in Thurso but to William Brock and Margaret Sutherland!.
    Although your William in various census shows approx 1806 birth!.
    Then I look at William's death1884 and his parents listed Donald Brock and Catherine Miller not married ( I am sure you have copy but if not let me know.).
    So a bit more searching and
    YOUR William's birth
    County Caithness-shire
    Place Thurso
    Church Thurso
    RegisterNumber 105
    DateOfBirth
    BaptismDate 03 Apr 1807
    Forename William
    Sex M
    FatherForename Donald
    MotherForename Catharine
    FatherSurname BROAKE
    MotherSurname MILLER
    Abode Ormly
    FatherOccupation Farm Servant
    Notes Witness Catharine Calder And Peter Miller
    FileNumber 21760

Thanks for all these replies. My information is that Teeny had a sister, Elizabeth. I am not sure which of them worked in the Drapers Shop. Teeny's information was that she owned or worked in some kind of wine merchants. Elizabeth was single and lived in Clarence Street. Regarding the last posting from Tricia... this confused me for a while too... until I found Williams death certificate, so I am fairly sure now his parents were Donald Brock and Catherine Miller. I am at present collating all my Brock info so any further information is very welcome!! I have tried to attach an image and you can see clearly the Brock name above the door and Liptons next door. I am not sure if this was the wine shop or the drapers.

Name:  BrockShop.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  97.8 KB

I think we might have spoken before?

I have photographs of the shop and info on the Brocks.

Default Reply to Thirsaloon

Yes, I think I got that photograph via your good self. I'm at present collating all my Brock info into a 'book'! I've had so much requests for information it seems the easiest way to do it. I think I received quite a lot of information regarding Teeny and her brother Malcolm from you and it has all been very useful to me. I will be in touch!

Thats grand, couldnt remember if I had sent you the information or not. Keep me posted how you get on with your book!