Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Corncrake

Default Corncrake

Was hearing this weird bird call today when out to Broubster Leans, came home and listened to several recordings and think that what was what I was hearing, any one else heard them in the county? Am aware of reports just over the boundry into Sutherland.

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    Was hearing this weird bird call today when out to Broubster Leans, came home and listened to several recordings and think that what was what I was hearing, any one else heard them in the county? Am aware of reports just over the boundry into Sutherland.
    Hi LIZZ

Is this the call you heard, if so it's a male Corncrake calling on territory. Click on this web link for call. http://www.xeno-canto.org/sounds/upl...P/crexcrex.mp3

nirofo.

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    Crex Crex, sweetest sound, if somewhat grating. Yes, just into Sutherland, I hear them too.

Thanks both, am now about 95% sure, will have to go back and have another listen.

originally from aberdeen,now live somewhere north of brig a doon

There was one here at jog about 4yrs ago, constantly called day and night.

it was lovely hearing them over in the hebrides last week
    sometimes the devil needs an advocate