Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Taylors of Latheron

Default Taylors of Latheron

I am trying to find more information on the family of George Taylor who married Ann Sinclair at Stemster in 1811. I am related through their grand daughter Margaret who married James Doull.

Hello,

One of my McLeod relatives married James Taylor of Stemster in 1878. They came to New Zealand and settled here. I have a little bit more information on William Taylor of Stemster (possibly the father of James) who had some trouble with the excise men (illicit distilling of whisky - a common practice) and was gaoled in Wick in 1878 for the non-payment of a 400 pound fine.
    This information may not be directly useful for your research but let me know if you want a few more details.

Regards Christina Baldwin
    New Zealand

Default Hello Christina

Yes James who married Catherine McLeod was the son of William and the grandson of George Taylor and Ann Sinclair. I would like the info you have on the misdemeanour of William. The fine was very large but I do not think that it had much effect since my grandfather born in 1877 said that on a clear night around Rangag you could see lots of signs of stills out on the moors.

Regards

George

Hello George
    The original fine was 800 pound - so yes a huge amount. But your hunch is right that it didnt stop the 'smuggling' - the story goes that when William eventually got out of gaol his wife had another 'bruist' preparing when he reached their house.
    I will send you a pm and you can tell me if you just want the details re the smuggling or if you want the other data I have.

Regards Christina Baldwin