Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Animal open house thought.

Smile Animal open house thought.

I don't know if Caithness folk hold open house during the Christmas season as I don't live there, but if so, perhaps this is something for animal lovers to think about . Each year in early December, my son and his wife hold an open house . Many people who attend bring small hostess gifts for them. While this is very kind and appreciated, they have requested this year that pet food, towels, blankets and supplies be brought to be donated to their local pet shelter. It is a no kill shelter and run by volunteers. They phoned to find out what was needed most by the shelter and enclosed that information with the invitations . I know donations are needed for the food banks and the homeless and other agencies, but the animals are often forgotten . I know for sure they will be well thought of this year in one shelter!

Thumbs up Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jean View Post
    I don't know if Caithness folk hold open house during the Christmas season as I don't live there, but if so, perhaps this is something for animal lovers to think about . Each year in early December, my son and his wife hold an open house . Many people who attend bring small hostess gifts for them. While this is very kind and appreciated, they have requested this year that pet food, towels, blankets and supplies be brought to be donated to their local pet shelter. It is a no kill shelter and run by volunteers. They phoned to find out what was needed most by the shelter and enclosed that information with the invitations . I know donations are needed for the food banks and the homeless and other agencies, but the animals are often forgotten . I know for sure they will be well thought of this year in one shelter!
    What a great idea!

We don't actually have this tradition in Caithness but it is really nice to donate things such as food to local shelters as, as you said, the animals often get forgotten.

Cats Protection spend a huge amount of their funds on cat food and litter so if anyone would like to donate either to us then this would be very gratefully received!

Great idea,never heard of it before Is it American
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

unicorn Guest

I have never heard of it either but if it benefits the animals then thats what counts well done to your son and his wife for doing this.

Smile

I live in Canada, although I am sure open house is held in the States also. It is a get together during the holidays, usually from afternoon into the evening, when friends, family, neighbours, workmates, friends of friends even, drop in for food and drinks, laughter and some friendly chit chat . There is always plenty of food and good cheer and people stay as long as they like and come and go when they like. The hosts will sometimes ask you to bring tinned goods for the food banks or toys for children, and this year the animal shelter will benefit from this open house . Fingers crossed for good weather!

Smile

I thought I would let you know the results from the Christmas "Open House" my son and daughter-in-law held last weekend .

Everyone who came was very generous, and they collected 72 tins of pet food, 8 large bags of dry food and 10 medium size bags, treats and toys galore, bags and bags of litter, new towels and blankets, catnip, a cat carrier,bandages, cleaning supplies and approximately 90 pounds in cash, vouchers and pet shop gift cards . There will be some happy animals and staff at that shelter I think .

A great time was had by all and they are looking forward to another next year .

Perhaps someone might think of doing something similar this holiday season, or at least think about it for next year .
    Last edited by Big Jean; 07-Dec-06 at 19:21. Reason: added to .

unicorn Guest

Thats a brilliant response well done to all concerned!!

Thumbs up Well done!

That is excellent! Your son and daughter in law did so well hosting such a successful event!

Thanks Unicorn and Liz . It was fun, and even their two Moms, who spent a lot of time in the kitchen I might add, enjoyed it all . They are planning to do the same next year .

Smile

What a great idea, i might try this next year for my local dogs home. My birthday is is November i can ask friends and relatives donations. ( Better than the smelly stuff i usually get)

This is a great idea for those animal lovers. The SSPCA, Balmore up here, is another charity to think about as it is a charitable organisation and relies on public donations.