Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dance music in Thurso......?

I was thinking how do you dance to any music other than Electronic.....

Like when i was in my teens.. i was heavily into heavy metal i went and saw numerous bands from iron maiden to metallica...we just went mad dashing,thrashing shouting it was hardly Dancing.
    I wonder if they still do that at gigs today??...I mean i cant imagine anyone dancing to the likes of say ''Evanesense'' or these ''Oasis'' type bands that you keep hearing on radio 1....the songs incorporate sadness aggression or a combination of both.. happy songs provide you with the vibes to move your body and feel happy.. but the majority of rock indie. grunge. metal is all agression

But hey dont get me wrong i love the sound of kirk hammet playing his solo's..that stuff is for lying back.. even say The well known "Nothing Else matters" its music for chilling to when your feeling down or when yer maybe say with your partner..you just couldnt dance to it..maybe im wrong but ive tryed and it dont work well..

Take say some disco.pop.chart trance and youll find obviously that you got a beat there that yer able to move yer body to .... and not feel like losing the plot as if you were to listenening to Metallica's "dyers eve"...

Or even better some hard funky techno beat...s im sure my grandad @ the Age of 92 would look good dancing to that...

Quote Originally Posted by gravedigga
    Skins is as bad as the Waterfront for playing the same old stuff, they put on a good dance tune that gets you going, then on pops cotton eyed joe, come on eileen or something like that which is a complete come down.

Be good is they held a rave once a month or so like on a Friday night and got DJ's up from down the line. If they can manage to get Judge Jules over to Orkney surely they could get some decent dj's up here. I was at a few raves in the Viewfirth, can't remember who was playing but the tunes were banging and it was a really good night - that was a while ago tho. . . . . Been at a few good un's in the Waterfront too, think the last was when divine inspiration were up and a dj from Dingwall or somewhere lek at.

Lol cotton eyed joe thats such a Dodgy choon..but its sad to say that i once had that in my box..

you wouldnt need Djs from down the line..thurso has 2 excellent Disc jockeys..one being Ricky trueman And martin ruderford..they both are masters on the turntables..i regard Ricky to be better than jules...depends what you wanna hear though

Lol the Dj from dingwall was he good.??

He was good from what i can remember - but that's no saying much, lol

There used to be raves on in the St Clair, was only ever at 1 but it was right enough. Only thing missing was the club atmosphere as the room was too little, saying that though the viewfirth's not a club and the nights in there were lethal.

If they'd put on nights like that in Skins and the Waterfront they'd pull the peeps in i reckon. Stevie Donn's quite good on the decks i believe

apollo69 Guest

I don't like dance music myself, but each to their own. I was in Skinandis a couple of times when decent bands have been playing ( the Supernaturals for one) and nobody turned up until the pubs kicked them out. Then, about twenty kids danced about as if Frantics disco was playing. I was embarassed for them and I think they were too. They played in Kirkwall the following night and got a great reception (so I'm told).

I just don't know what it would take to get Caithness people to support live music/ dance music or anything different from the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie
    I hate chart music so I wont go on a friday or saturday night. In fact I avoid that place 99% of the time. The only time i'll go in at a push is when ryan is the dj.
    Let me make a point about Ryan... here's why he's never working in Skinns on a Saturday night - he plays the same songs over and over and over and over... you get the picture?

I've heard him O-zone every 15 minutes!

Not only that, but he seems to play tunes which no one will dance to!

By the way, you know when the DJ's getting old when he plays Dolly Parton and several Elvis tunes (amongst other oldies)... what is Frantic on? *rolls eyes* He seemed a bit off tune last night (please excuse the pun)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12