Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: the portland arms

thanks to all as we try to be as open as poss we never ment to put in the wrong section we just wanted to let every one its reopening its a local hotel and hated seeing it closed but we will move it if its a problem so sorry and yes we have a budget and as a lot of items are needed untill its back on its feet and we are employing locals so once again thanks to all for the kind posts

Andrew, well done with your latest venture, now I have been nice, will I get a free meal next time I am up north
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Congrats on your new venture, still think it would have been better if you had just said it was yourself though, could have congratulated you earlier then lol.
    Will try to call in next time we are home.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by secrets in symmetry View Post
    Thanks Moira.

I'll admit I had to read it twice before it made any sense at all lol!
    No probs.

Sometimes I don't make myself as clear as I'd like to.

Are you trying to say you'd like a job as a barmaid?

If I had the time that might be a possibility.

Not realistic though. If you were to figure in "patronising" the Portland Arms, it would be one drink for you and two for me.....

That's ok - if you're paying.

We'll also need a pole dancer. Any volunteers? Changilass? Starfish? Tilly Teckel?

Pole provided.

Excellent news. Best wishes for every success.
    ~*~ Gill ~*~
    Meiklejohns Confectioners, Thurso Street, Wick
    Open every day 8 am - 10.30 pm

darn not mentioned......
    but I can do bar etc politely etc ....within hubby /school hrs and reliable....with training....

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Sweetie View Post
    Excellent news. Best wishes for every success.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadie View Post
    darn not mentioned......
    but I can do bar etc politely etc ....within hubby /school hrs and reliable....with training....
    Thank you for applying. The good news is that you're both hired.

Wish i WAS HIRED...Seriously.....as im a people person (ish ) and do know when to suck up....but the training would give me the heeebie jeebiees as in used to negationating the who had what toy first....and no one having it!

Tilly Teckel Guest

I worked at the Portlands when it was last open and, no, pole dancing was not part of my job description but I'm prepared to try anything once! Then again, if they're serving meals maybe not - I may put people off their food!

Best wishes to the new folk running it - great to see something and someone willing to try opening in adverse economic climate.

Will be in on next trip over.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadie View Post
    Wish i WAS HIRED...Seriously.....as im a people person (ish ) and do know when to suck up....but the training would give me the heeebie jeebiees as in used to negationating the who had what toy first....and no one having it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilly Teckel View Post
    I worked at the Portlands when it was last open and, no, pole dancing was not part of my job description but I'm prepared to try anything once! Then again, if they're serving meals maybe not - I may put people off their food!
    Training will start on Monday, at 11am sharp.

People skills are important - if only for fighting off admirers when the bouncers aren't looking.

Bring your "work clothes" to change into when you arrive - don't wear them on the way here, you don't want to get arrested before you even start!

Good luck with the venture. It is always sad to see hotels close up often never to re-open.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

I can smell the beginnings of ageism and sexism here (always something non-PC if you look hard enough!) I would like to put myself (63 years old, male, shouts at lamp-posts) forward as a LAP-TOP DANCER. It's a great act. I dress up in white tie and tails, and tap dance on the lid of a lap-top computer on the floor. It is quite exhilarating, and dashed sexy, if I say so myself. I will also accommodate, for a small remuneration, a "private" dance, but ladies MUST supply their own tap shoes, and have feet under size 5, as my lap-top only has a 15 inch screen. There is also a roped-off VIP area where I perform the same dances, but clad only in a liberty bodice and long johns.

I hope to hear from you soon. Or my solicitors will be in touch.
    Last edited by pmcd; 24-May-12 at 11:59.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.bowles30 View Post
    thanks to all as we try to be as open as poss we never ment to put in the wrong section we just wanted to let every one its reopening its a local hotel and hated seeing it closed but we will move it if its a problem so sorry and yes we have a budget and as a lot of items are needed untill its back on its feet and we are employing locals so once again thanks to all for the kind posts
    Congrats! - will be out for a meal when you're up and running.

p.s I think you should leave the hotel where it is. It has been there a long time and will only confuse people to move it, never mind the cost!!

Nice to hear the Portland Arms up and running again. My mam used to love the High Tea's there.

Maybe Orgers can have their meetings there instead of the usual curry nights.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by pmcd View Post
    I can smell the beginnings of ageism and sexism here (always something non-PC if you look hard enough!) I would like to put myself (63 years old, male, shouts at lamp-posts) forward as a LAP-TOP DANCER. It's a great act. I dress up in white tie and tails, and tap dance on the lid of a lap-top computer on the floor. It is quite exhilarating, and dashed sexy, if I say so myself. I will also accommodate, for a small remuneration, a "private" dance, but ladies MUST supply their own tap shoes, and have feet under size 5, as my lap-top only has a 15 inch screen. There is also a roped-off VIP area where I perform the same dances, but clad only in a liberty bodice and long johns.

I hope to hear from you soon. Or my solicitors will be in touch.

No ageism involved, he invited me to apply for the job and I aint no spring chicken. Gonna have to decline as it would cost to much to reinforce the pole to carry my weight. I could alus give folks gummy smiles from behind the bar if any vacancies still left in that department.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    No ageism involved, he invited me to apply for the job and I aint no spring chicken. Gonna have to decline as it would cost to much to reinforce the pole to carry my weight. I could alus give folks gummy smiles from behind the bar if any vacancies still left in that department.
    I might be tempted to part with £2 to see you seductively swirling round a pole Changi, I am not sure why you chose a Pole though and not a Scotsman to twirl around!!
    Blinking Poles, come over here and have all the fun!!....lol.

C3.................

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast