Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are we being taken for a ride ?

If this piece of punitive legislation was all about improving health then we'd all be for it. Unfortunately it is all about punishing the poorer classes in society.

Cheap booze is seen as an affordable means of escapism from the harsh reality that was constructed by the rich political elite. While the rich political elite still enjoy their own forms of escapism eg expensive cars, houses. holidays and of course expensive booze like champagne, they do not want the poor to escape from the economic downturn even if for a few hours of cheap intemperance.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    If this piece of punitive legislation was all about improving health then we'd all be for it. Unfortunately it is all about punishing the poorer classes in society.

Cheap booze is seen as an affordable means of escapism from the harsh reality that was constructed by the rich political elite. While the rich political elite still enjoy their own forms of escapism eg expensive cars, houses. holidays and of course expensive booze like champagne, they do not want the poor to escape from the economic downturn even if for a few hours of cheap intemperance.
    Ah... it's a while since I had the opportunity to call someone a looney.

Lol! Nice one!

Sadly, there is an element of reality in it....

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    Ah... it's a while since I had the opportunity to call someone a looney.
    Looney eh?

So if it is about improving the health of the population then pray tell us your highness how this piece of punitive legislation stops the rich from boozing too much?

I think I know the answer to this and it doesn't.

It isn't the rich that clog up the NHS every night after boozing to extinction then having fights/accidents/being helped down the stairs by Policemen.

No, they go to places like The Priory and Betty Ford.

Yes I have them on speed dial!

Quote Originally Posted by ducati View Post
    It isn't the rich that clog up the NHS every night after boozing to extinction then having fights/accidents/being helped down the stairs by Policemen.
    Well well.

The only reason why you think you are correct is that by definition the rich elite who can still afford their expensive drink after this punitive piece of legislation is introduced are exactly that, rich and elite, ie few in number. There is no evidence to suggest that the poorer classes are more susceptible to anti-social behavior whilst under the influence of drink.

So while the rich drunk elite may be or may not be more numerous in proportion their sober counterparts, they still feel it necessary to keep the poorer classes where they belong..........poor and unable to buy a bit of escapism from the shackles of rampant capitalism.

Far from help solving certain problems, this politically driven act is socially and politically divisive and will only serve to shift more harm to other areas of society.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 26-May-12 at 12:20.

I usually like your posts Rheghead, but you're really on the ball with his one.

Fantastic!

Well well.

The only reason why you think you are correct is that by definition the rich elite who can still afford their expensive drink after this punitive piece of legislation is introduced are exactly that, rich and elite, ie few in number. There is no evidence to suggest that the poorer classes are more susceptible to anti-social behavior whilst under the influence of drink.

So while the rich drunk elite may be or may not be more numerous in proportion their sober counterparts, they still feel it necessary to keep the poorer classes where they belong..........poor and unable to buy a bit of escapism from the shackles of rampant capitalism.

Far from help solving certain problems, this politically driven act is socially and politically divisive and will only serve to shift more harm to other areas of society.
    Blimey! I thought you were joking.

he says backing away wishing he had a weapon

It looks as though you are not alone some other alcohol producing counties are having a look at Salmonds idea. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-22182607
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

Minimum prices/unit does not work. In Norway where it will cost you £17 per pint for lagger there is a much worse problem than there is here. The streets are also full of beggars trying to raise the money for their booze. It is a very poorly thought out policy. (If any thinking was done). We Eck and his cronies should have a look at the countries where it has been introduced and they will get the answer.
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    Next question, why push through this legislature, if it is only going to benefit the Supermarkets? Are Tesco's funding Eck and his cronies? Is that why there is no Asda in Week?
    The additional cash raised by the supermarkets will be taxed in the normal way just like Starbucks and Amazon

We are being taken for a ride those who want to smoke ..will smoke
    those who want to drink will drink
    just like anything else in this world just because its illegal or overpriced wont stop it
    just more money for same effort
    people can make there own decisions, freedom is a 7 letter word i d'ont recognize anymore
    cost of the production of cigs alcohol energy food dont just rise that steep that quick
    time for people to open there eyes or hide behind there duvets and let these people continue raising prices
    Last edited by cesare; 31-Jul-13 at 22:49.

You must pop over the road for a "cheap" drink Russ (whilst we still have access to it) you and I have a LOT in common.

Mike.

My tuppence worth.....a bit late because I hadn't noticed this thread when it was first posted.

Imo, it does rather depend on how your addictions impact and how much you can or can't control them.

I went down to smoking roll-ups (with extra slim tips) when tobacco prices increased...so I smoke less (because if I'm busy I don't stop and roll and light......though I would definitely have lit a handy tailor made....but after one drag it would have burnt out in the ashtray and been wasted) and it costs me less because I can smoke for a week on what it would have cost me for a day or so's smoking at current tailor made rates at the 40 a day level I smoked (because I am crap at rolling fags so they turn out more as common pins than fat spliffs..but boost the nicotine levels adequately enough). And as an aside, smoking tailor mades after roll-ups makes me feel queasy now.....maybe as a result of the additives added to tailor mades to make them even more addictive and encourage future sales.

Re the alcohol pricing....I don't think it is aimed at alcoholics who already get disability benefits to help them to support their addiction, and are pretty well lost bar other more specific targeted interference.......but is aimed at people who will drink what is in the house just because it is in the house and not think they have a problem.........or kids setting out on alcohol drinking for whatever reason and who would be less likely to afford to spend a lot to achieve oblivion. Frankly, I don't really see why people should be worrying about the cost of alcohol except if it reduces the amount they can afford because of the amount they habitually drink.

I am an ordinary drinker...and I know how much I can take and still remain fairly lucid to other people, so I don't ever buy more than I can drink comfortably the same night (just in case I think....oh heck....there are another 22 cans in the fridge.... what is another 1 or 2 or 3 etc going to hurt........because I know it will eventually hurt me.)

Responsible drinkers are those who can buy 24 cans of whatever and make them last more than a single night's binging.....or those who don't buy the cheap offers because they know that it will mean they will demolish them the same day. Maybe the best way to sort out the Scottish binge drinking culture is to make it illegal to sell booze other than in single cans..then everyone is in the same position re purchase.

The rich can buy Lamborghinis and Ferraris....but is anyone whining because the poor can't afford them or the middle classes take years to save up enough for them? If alcohol (or tobacco) was an essential foodstuff..........then I'd see the point of complaining at the cost if it was exorbitant.....but they aren't...they are a choice made by individuals.......in the same way as being a vegan, vegetarian or a carnivore is a choice.

In 2009, Scotland had the eighth highest alcohol consumption level in the world..out of 190+ countries...and if it takes sensible pricing and removal of cheap packs of multiple cans to alter that statistic..then so be it.

Minimum alcohol pricing, is nothing more than a mechanism to maximize the profit of UK PLC, it has nothing to do with any health issues, if it was health related in any way shape or form, you would expect any sensible government to BAN the product. Has that happened? No it hasn't. Why? Well alcohol and tobacco are control mechanisms, if you are addicted to a substance, e.g. tobacco, the government know that the amounts of duty and vat made from such addiction are pure profit, you control the substance you control the man or woman. It's all about control, you control the food you control the people, you control the energy you control the country. All governments know this, if you place a minimum price on something it maximises the tax earned potential for the government.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123